Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2018, 07:42 PM - 4 Likes   #16
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can find a deal, it is an amazing camera, especially if you need better high ISO results. Makes slower lenses much more usable.

12-14-2018, 10:52 PM   #17
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
If you can find a deal, it is an amazing camera, especially if you need better high ISO results. Makes slower lenses much more usable.
Looks like $700 KP may be back
{based on previous day, I'm guessing this is for body only}

12 days of Pentax holiday deals @ the US Ricoh Web store - PentaxForums.com

12-15-2018, 08:55 AM - 4 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a GAS attack and just ordered a silver one from the Ricoh Holiday Special site! I have never had a Pentax camera I did not like, so....
12-15-2018, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #19
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I had a GAS attack and just ordered a silver one from the Ricoh Holiday Special site! I have never had a Pentax camera I did not like, so....
You are going to be a happy camper Mike! It is so easy to take nice images with only a little effort in lower light conditions with the KP. Enjoy!

12-15-2018, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I caught this deal just before midnight. At $699, I'm happy to pair the KP with my DA 20-40mm zoom and my DA Limited primes. At $899 or anything near that, I'd just wait. But who knows when we'll actually see the new APS-C flagship - if ever? This is the best way I know to support the Pentax brand short of buying a K-1, which is just not in the cards due to cost and the need for full-frame glass. Thanks for all of the feedback and advice everyone!

Last edited by Biro; 12-15-2018 at 10:14 PM.
12-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to get a shop demo KP at a good price but I decided to wait and see what turns up in the Asahi Optical Company centenary year. Until then, my K200D and K-x still have some life left in them.
12-18-2018, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Well, I caught this deal just before midnight. At $699, I'm happy to pair the KP with my DA 20-40mm zoom and my DA Limited primes. At $899 or anything near that, I'd just wait. But who knows when we'll actually see the new APS-C flagship - if ever? This is the best way I know to support the Pentax brand short of buying a K-1, which is just not in the cards due to cost and the need for full-frame glass. Thanks for all of the feedback and advice everyone!
And to Mike too-

I am confident you'll enjoy your new KP! Happy holidays! If you like shooting jpegs that turn out well, be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, but when not having the mode dial set to the auto green mode. This mode cancels many adjustments, making them unavailable, or intrudes with auto settings from the camera. The KP's in-camera processing is surprisingly good.
12-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #23
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I am confident you'll enjoy your new KP! Happy holidays! If you like shooting jpegs that turn out well, be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, but when not having the mode dial set to the auto green mode. This mode cancels many adjustments, making them unavailable, or intrudes with auto settings from the camera. The KP's in-camera processing is surprisingly good.
I totally agree.

I have found the metering of the KP to be accurate, and the in-camera processing to be delightful.

I have set the third e-dial to control ISO, so now I can control all three components of the "exposure triangle" without taking my eye away from the viewfinder.

12-25-2018, 09:00 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently moved up to the KP from my trusty K-3 (which went to my 15 year old grandson). Very pleased with the transition. Nothing's perfect but it was a good move.
01-06-2019, 07:07 AM   #25

I also couldn't resist Ricoh's "12 Days of Christmas" price & ordered a silver KP. So far I'm pleased with it. Suprisingly mine came with all 3 grips included. The main reason I ordered one was to have the "pixel shift" feature, for architectural photography it should be a big plus. Its not noticably smaller than the K-5 or K-3, but it feels smaller. It is about the same size as the ist* Ds which I've always thought of as Pentax's smallest & most comfortable to handle DSLR. Picture qualiy seems to be very good, especially at high ISO. Overall its a camera I think I will enjoy using, although its not going to be a replacement for my K-5 or K-3.
01-06-2019, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #26
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
I also couldn't resist Ricoh's "12 Days of Christmas" price & ordered a silver KP. So far I'm pleased with it. Surprisingly mine came with all 3 grips included.
Mine came with all three grips also. I believe that was standard in the U.S. from the start and apparently they have been maintaining that practice.
03-11-2019, 06:03 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Finally got a deal in Europe and bought a KP too. CP+ did not bring the news I was expecting and I dont feel like waiting up to next year.
So far all is good with my new companion
03-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Finally got a deal in Europe and bought a KP too. CP+ did not bring the news I was expecting and I dont feel like waiting up to next year.
So far all is good with my new companion
Congratulations! I am sure you will enjoy this unique and fine-performing gem!