Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax KP Now or Wait?

I haven't posted on these forums in a while. I have both a K-3 and a K-5 II -- neither of which has gotten a lot of use lately. But I've been feeling bad about my collection of DA Limited glass that has been sitting idle. I have the full collection of DA Limiteds and my shooting is very varied - everything from portraits to landscapes to architecture to sports (usually auto racing).

The short version of my question is, would a KP be better with my Limiteds than the cameras that I already have? The only other lens that I envision using on the KP would be my 20-40 Limited zoom.

Early reviews of the KP turned me off but more-recent real-world user reviews make it quite attractive. People talk about how small it is, but the dimensions are within a tenth of an inch of the K-3 in virtually every direction. It is lighter than the K-3. But noticeably so in the field?

My other option would be to use the cameras that I have and sell them off when the elusive Pentax APS-C flagship is released - assuming that ever happens. I'm not interested in the K-1 because it's a lot more money and I'd have to buy too much new glass to take full advantage of what it has to offer.

I've missed the Black Friday sales that offered the KP for under $700 but those prices will no doubt return in the months ahead.

12-08-2018, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 is still a nice camera that compares well to the KP (unless you want Pixel Shift).

I'd wait unitl the new flaship comes out.
12-08-2018, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

I have the KP and several of the limiteds, plus the DA 18-135 and the 55-300 PLM.

To my mind, the limiteds fit perfectly with the KP. I sometimes use the battery grip with the two zooms, but I find that the weight of the KP balances well with the zooms even without the battery grip. I imagine if you had heavier telephoto lenses the grip would be a good match.

As far as the camera body itself (ergonomics, functionality) I'm very happy. I don't have the K-3 or K-5ii but from what I've read here, I imagine the KP would be an upgrade sensor-wise from the K-5ii, maybe less so from the K-3. There are numerous threads talking about AF performance, etc. vs. the K-3ii (I think it gets some mention in the in-depth review too?)

If I were in your shoes, I think I'd ask myself what was keeping you from shooting with the bodies you have? You've got some great bodies and lenses. Are there any particular pain points that you're looking to address, or are you just ready for something new? Both are totally valid reasons to upgrade, IMO.

I'm excited to see what happens with the K-3ii successor, but I'm really glad I got the KP when I did.

If you do get the KP, my advice as far as ergonomics is to try the different grips with an open mind. Coming from a K-50, the S and M grips seemed very foreign, but once I started aquiring limiteds, I've found that the S grip stays on the camera unless I'm using the battery grip (which pairs best with and includes a L grip.)

I've picked up the 20-40 for myself and it's sitting in it's box waiting on Christmas morning - I imagine it will be my walk-around on the KP in the new year.

Also waiting with a bit of anticipation for whatever they put out for the 100 year anniversary. If it's something awesome like a retro homage to the film bodies of the past, and the K-3ii successor materializes in 2019 too, I'm going to be torn 😁
12-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't do it. K-3/5 and are also pretty compact (certainly compared to the K-1) and have a better grip. The KP doesn't have the fast frame rate of the K-3 and a smaller buffer. I always skip a generation when upgrading, so it is worth it. K10D>K-5>K-1. I don't even consider the KP a new generation compared to the K-3.

12-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Early reviews of the KP turned me off but more-recent real-world user reviews make it quite attractive. People talk about how small it is, but the dimensions are within a tenth of an inch of the K-3 in virtually every direction. It is lighter than the K-3. But noticeably so in the field?
Image quality is the main area of improvement IMO. I agree that the camera really isn't much smaller in practice (but it's still a really nice camera with other useful improvements, such as the UI).

I would monitor end-of-year deals on the KP and make the decision then. I somehow doubt you'd be able to get it at the BF price, but hopefully close to that and/or with freebies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-08-2018, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My other option would be to use the cameras that I have and sell them off when the elusive Pentax APS-C flagship is released
This would be my recommendation. Both your K-3 and K-5II are fine cameras. The KP offers better high ISO performance and some new features, but lacks other features and performance you're used to with your existing bodies. It's a very fine camera, but unless straight-out-of-camera high ISO performance and the articulating screen are major priorities for you, I think you're already well equipped until a new APS-C flagship materialises.
12-08-2018, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Regarding size, my KP fits easier in my small backpack. It is also easier to remove. KP has a smaller grip. I also feel it is easier to carry in my hands, that is because its lighter than the K-3, but I admit the K-3 has better ergonomics. Now that I think of it, sounds weird. But in my case this is all true. I purchased the KP as a backup camera and for its retro look. I ended up using it as my main camera. I'm actually taking more pictures too! But in any case your lightly used K-3 is still a great camera.

12-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I haven't posted on these forums in a while. I have both a K-3 and a K-5 II -- neither of which has gotten a lot of use lately. But I've been feeling bad about my collection of DA Limited glass that has been sitting idle. I have the full collection of DA Limiteds and my shooting is very varied - everything from portraits to landscapes to architecture to sports (usually auto racing).

The short version of my question is, would a KP be better with my Limiteds than the cameras that I already have? The only other lens that I envision using on the KP would be my 20-40 Limited zoom.

My other option would be to use the cameras that I have and sell them off when the elusive Pentax APS-C flagship is released - assuming that ever happens. I'm not interested in the K-1 because it's a lot more money and I'd have to buy too much new glass to take full advantage of what it has to offer.

I've missed the Black Friday sales that offered the KP for under $700 but those prices will no doubt return in the months ahead.
I have absolutely no idea what Pentax is doing next year, which is why I ultimately purchased a $700 KP. I have no idea when, or whether, they will release a 'flagship' APS camera. I also have no idea what KP prices will look like in the future. I have used only the small grip on my KP, and yet it has worked very well with the DA 55-300 PLM lens.
Peace and War - PentaxForums.com

I anguished here in public about waiting or purchasing, and finally decided I couldn't be sure we would ever see $700 pricing again.

added: If I were interested in a camera, I would check their "12 days"
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/380254-12-days-pen...web-store.html

Sooner or later they're going to run out of Ricoh merchandise. Even a K-70 @ something like $350 could be a good deal.

Last edited by reh321; 12-08-2018 at 05:14 PM.
12-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caribe Quote
Regarding size, my KP fits easier in my small backpack. It is also easier to remove. KP has a smaller grip. I also feel it is easier to carry in my hands, that is because its lighter than the K-3, but I admit the K-3 has better ergonomics. Now that I think of it, sounds weird. But in my case this is all true. I purchased the KP as a backup camera and for its retro look. I ended up using it as my main camera. I'm actually taking more pictures too! But in any case your lightly used K-3 is still a great camera.
I think ergonomics of the KP are great. I have the third e-dial configured to control ISO, so I can control all three components of the so-called "exposure triangle" without lowering the KP from my eye.
12-08-2018, 06:37 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think of KP as a sidecar with the K-1, and the K-70 as the current traditional APSc body. I don’t expect Flagship features and performance from my KP, just fabulous files and it produces them. If you really need 8+ fps, dual cards and D-Li90 battery plus the Accelerator Unit and the new UI you’ll have to wait for (and hope for) a new camera release. If IQ and handling with the high consumer feature set are enough get the KP.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-08-2018 at 07:59 PM.
12-08-2018, 06:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I am waiting, I like my k3ii and don't see a need to upgrade it after almost 3 years and 30k shots. I would of course like to have all the improvements that the kp brings, in particular lower high iso noise and improved ibis, but my current camera performs just fine in practice.
12-09-2018, 11:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like monochrome's term "sidecar". It does go well as the APS-C companion to the K-1, and its controls design I think reflect that as an intention by Pentax designers- a compact, high-quality APS-C body that can perform as closely as possible to please K-1 owners, and those who want to have that capability but stay with APS-C.

It is to a noticeable degree more compact, not really shown just by looking at specs. The hight given would be shorter except for the top flash housing coming to a tiny peak. As to depth, my K-5 IIs actually measures slightly less, but this measurement depends largely on the depth of the flash overhang. The KP's body design is in reality slimmer due to the reduction of the right-hand grip bulk, which some people prefer, and then moving the controls usually found on the bulkier right-hand grip. The KP is a couple of ounces lighter than my K-5 IIs, which is a couple of ounces lighter than the K-3 II. I notice the difference in weight, though not a big difference, between it and my K-5 IIs, when using the same lens. With a lens of some bulk, however, the K-5 IIs may feel lighter because the weight balances a little better in the hand. But the KP's battery grip does do a good job here also, and at about the same combined weight as a K-3 II alone.

It is with the Limited lenses the KP's design especially shines for me. And the DA 20-40mm seems like it was designed together with the camera. Although pairing as a "sidecar" so well with a K-1, for me it makes a good pairing with my K-5 IIs. If I should need to do some burst shooting, requiring a larger buffer, more balance with a bulkier lens, or a situation where its greater number of discrete on-body controls for quicker adjustments on the fly serve better, I use the K-5 IIs. Otherwise, it is the KP for all else.

I often additionally take the K-5 IIs along on trips, with its battery grip, due to the grip's ability to use AA lithiums in case I've let my other batteries run low.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-09-2018 at 11:51 PM.
12-10-2018, 02:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I agree with BigMackCam. You are currently well equipped with the K-3 and the K-5II. Both are great cameras. Good things come to those who wait. Maybe you can have better choices next year. After all, it will be Pentax's 100th year anniversary. Who knows what they'll bring. I'm feeling lucky for next year. I think Ricoh will bring us big surprises.
12-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian

You've got two great APS-C cameras ... but your DA Limiteds are idle.

Why is that? What do you expect the KP (or any newer camera) to have that will make you want to shoot your Limiteds?

I've handled the KP in-store, and I really like what I felt. But I was surprised by how much the KP is SIMILAR to the K-7/K-5/K3 line. The main body feel is similar, with the biggest changes being the top deck, pentaprism and the grip. Personally I really like the KP and will probably purchase one. I expect it will pair nicely with my FA Limiteds.

However, the KP is NOT magically a small mirrorless-style camera. I'd love to see the DA and FA Limiteds on a body the size of the Fuji X-T1/2/3 (which is more like a Pentax ME Super in size). But with DSLR viewfinders I don't think we will see a camera much smaller than the KP.
12-10-2018, 05:03 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've looked at the Fuji X-T3. It is the same width as the KP, not quite the same height and not quite the same depth, due to the KP's built-in flash, and its overhang. Its weight is about 1.2 lb. compared to the KP's 1.55 lb. while the K-3 II is heavier by yet again the same difference even though having no built-in flash. In part because of the built-in GPS no doubt, but the K-3 weighs several oz. more than the KP as well. The K-5 also weighs more but has a more rounded top design, not that small peak in the flash housing that makes the KP's height measurement more on paper than reality. I can't figure why it is there- maybe a structural strengthening. The controls set of the KP is far superior over that of the X-T3.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-10-2018 at 05:18 PM.