Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Recs wanted, 3rd party D-LI109 batteries & travel charger, memory card

I just bit the bullet and ordered a KP on Amazon after dithering about a replacement for my K5-2 for about a year now. I had initially worried about the lack of top LCD and shorter battery life, but I figured I will adjust, and additional batteries are cheap and easy.

Looking for recommendations re: memory card (and what is max size that can be used) and backup batteries with a 12V travel charger. Several times a year I go camping for a week or so with only solar power for battery charging so this will be important.

Thanks!

12-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’ve had pretty good luck with Wasabi batteries from Amazon. The two battery kit comes with a charger with car adapter for less than $30.

I’m not sure there is even a maximum SD memory size these days in regards to cameras. Buy the fastest you can afford. I use Lexar and Sandisk from 16 to 64gb. You’re better off having more than one, I’ve had them fail in the past, so a back-up is required in my book.
12-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have the Wasabi's too but I find they don't hold as good a charge as the OEMs do but they're still good for the price, and the extra you get in the kit.

As for cards, I have three 32gb all Sandisks, 1 64GB Lexar, and 1 128GB Sandisk. Can never have too many cards.
12-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Another vote for Wasabi batteries. Not quite OEM but better than the other 2 brands I have had over the years by miles. As for cards - while the cameras can handle larger cards I find 64gb to be large enough for a FULL day of shooting at an event and economical. Also, learned a long time ago that if you have 1 big card and it goes belly-up its ugly - but 2 smaller cards gives you at least some photos of the day.

12-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here what I pick for my KP . Just completed a 15 weeks tour of National park with our RV . Perfect for camping with the 12 volt charger. Battery work perfectly , charge few times on my trip

amazon.com : DSTE 2x D-Li109 Battery + DC112 Travel and Car Charger Adapter for Pentax K-R K-30 K-50 K-500 KR K30 K50 K500 K-S1 K-S2 K-70 Camera : Digital Camera Batteries : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
12-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I have the Wasabi's too but I find they don't hold as good a charge as the OEMs do but they're still good for the price, and the extra you get in the kit.
What she said ^ ^ ^

The Wasabi's are good product and the Pentax-brand over-priced...easy decision.

Steve
12-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Here what I pick for my KP . Just completed a 15 weeks tour of National park with our RV . Perfect for camping with the 12 volt charger. Battery work perfectly , charge few times on my trip

amazon.com : DSTE 2x D-Li109 Battery + DC112 Travel and Car Charger Adapter for Pentax K-R K-30 K-50 K-500 KR K30 K50 K500 K-S1 K-S2 K-70 Camera : Digital Camera Batteries : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

The Washabi's have that charger too. I had a set of those DSTE batteries and mine die every time I use Live View, but the OEM and Washabi batteries don't.

12-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I had a set of those DSTE batteries
I had one of those swell up. Threw it away, and only use the OEMs and the Wasabi's now.
12-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I bought my KP last summer I bought this: Newmowa D-Li109 Battery (2-Pack) and Dual USB Charger for Pentax D-LI109 I didn't know much about Newmowa but I like the charger that can charge two batteries at a time. I have a charger like that that came with Wasabi batteries for my Sony (which I've barely touched since getting the KP).

I have no complaints on the Newmowas.
12-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

... Also, learned a long time ago that if you have 1 big card and it goes belly-up its ugly - but 2 smaller cards gives you at least some photos of the day.
Definitely agree here. I use a pair of 64gb in my K-3 and haven't had a card loss yet, but even a single full 64gb card failure would be a big loss for me. (I'm just tempting fate somewhat.) I always empty the cards off after an important event though.

I really like the Samsung Evo Select cards on Amazon. (Basically Amazon's private version of the Evo Plus) They're microSD but come with a full size adapter and they're some of the best cards I've used. Read / write speeds are 100 / 90 mbps so they are plenty fast. Low price too!
12-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
Definitely agree here. I use a pair of 64gb in my K-3 and haven't had a card loss yet, but even a single full 64gb card failure would be a big loss for me. (I'm just tempting fate somewhat.) I always empty the cards off after an important event though.

I really like the Samsung Evo Select cards on Amazon. (Basically Amazon's private version of the Evo Plus) They're microSD but come with a full size adapter and they're some of the best cards I've used. Read / write speeds are 100 / 90 mbps so they are plenty fast. Low price too!
I agree and would add that I ONLY format in camera - the only problems I have ever had were either with defective cards that weren't salvageable or ones that were formatted elsewhere.

I've heard, in the past here on the forum, that microSD cards were a no-no for in camera use. Have you had any problems with them? I tend to stick with SanDisk Extreme Pros.
12-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 for the Wasabi batteries, but stick with the OEM charger whenever possible.
12-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I agree and would add that I ONLY format in camera - the only problems I have ever had were either with defective cards that weren't salvageable or ones that were formatted elsewhere.

I've heard, in the past here on the forum, that microSD cards were a no-no for in camera use. Have you had any problems with them? I tend to stick with SanDisk Extreme Pros.
Back when microSD first came out that was good advice, but I've only ever had issues with two SD cards. One old and well used one I was trying to make bootable and messed up somehow, and another I had in my rooted android phone being used as an extension for the internal storage, so many repetitive writes for app cache. That one was still readable but wouldn't allow writes, which is a failsafe when the card controller senses a major fault. Both were microSD, but what killed them was my abnormal use, not the card size or shape.

That said, for important things like pictures I only trust mainstream brands at medium capacities. Cutting edge capacities like the 256gb would make me nervous, but the tech is pretty stable now and I'm quite comfortable with Samsung and SanDisk cards 64gb and smaller. 128gb are pretty good too, but that's way too many pictures to trust to one card.

---------- Post added 12-10-18 at 05:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
+1 for the Wasabi batteries, but stick with the OEM charger whenever possible.
The aftermarket chargers often charge at a higher voltage to increase charge rate and apparent total capacity. Seems useful, but it can decrease battery life over time, so I second the idea to use the Pentax charger when possible.
12-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've bought Watson spares from B&H over the past 8 years or so, used in my K-r, K-S2, and now my KP, with no problems. They've been dependable in terms of holding a charge, although I've never actually tested them against the Pentax branded ones coming with the cameras.

I have not heard of a good charger for these batteries that can use solar radiation as a charging source. A good concept for extensive hiking and camping-out trips, I would think something along those lines should be available.
12-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Re the solar charging, a solar panel recharges the camper batteries that power 12 volt outlets in the camper. In the past I have used my pentax charger plugged into a power inverter to connect to the 12V but was hoping to eliminate that step... one less piece of chunky gear to haul around.