Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2018, 03:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
available battery grips for KP

It seems to me, that I was reading about the battery grip - from another camera in K series, that can be shared on KP body also.

---
I cannot recall where I've red about that - and now I cannot find any valuable infos on that.

DBG-7 is designed for KP, DBG-4 for K-5, DBG-5 for K-3 etc....

--
Also - I think I was seeing non original battery grips - for a 1/4 price of original one - and I cannot find that either .

--

So, if any of you knows something about - you can throw infos here TNX !

12-19-2018, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

AFAIK only the BG-7 works with the KP.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-19-2018, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Forum Member

TheThe D-BG7 can take the D-LI109 battery that's the same one that the KP body takes, and it can also take the larger D-LI90. Maybe that's what you saw a reference to?

FWIW, if you use the smaller battery, you use a little "sled" to hold it inside the tray of the grip (comes with the grip). This sled has storage for an extra SD card (just storage, no connection to camera). There is also storage for an extra SD card in the tray of the grip.

So, if you use the small battery, you can store 2 extra SD cards in the grip, and if you use the larger battery, you can store 1 extra SD card.

Another thing to note, if you're considering the grip: while it will work with any of the three camera grip sizes (S, M and L) it comes with an (extra) L camera grip and aesthetically is designed to be used with the L grip on the body, as far as the contours, etc.

There's a thread in this subforum I think where a user did a detailed overview of the grip with photos when they got theirs.
12-19-2018, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
so, yet again Kp cannot borrow - the grip from other K bodies - it must be D-BG7

12-19-2018, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
so, yet again Kp cannot borrow - the grip from other K bodies - it must be D-BG7
Then you have a camera body with the weight of a K-3! I hated the price but I am still glad I picked one up last year on a 10% off sale through fleabay.
12-20-2018, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Picked up a KP from Adorama for the Black Friday price of $697 which included the deluxe sling bag, Comfort Strap and the 18-55mm new version kit lens (WR w/steel threads). It's such a great camera, and very stout for its size....I wonder if it's worth buying the DB-G7 grip as I've only seen those at retail for $229, while replacement d109 batteries cost $45 and can easily fit in your pocket....I agree with the other contributors here: there presently is no third party battery grip made yet for the KP.
01-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #7

I wish that KP could have a larger battery compartment for D-LI90 and then the small hand grip can be elimited. I am using DA* lenses and the number of short for one full charge of D-LI109 can never reach 200 photos. Battery grip is excellent but that make KP become less compact as it should be.

01-02-2019, 08:38 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tri_BK Quote
I wish that KP could have a larger battery compartment for D-LI90 and then the small hand grip can be elimited. I am using DA* lenses and the number of short for one full charge of D-LI109 can never reach 200 photos. Battery grip is excellent but that make KP become less compact as it should be.
the good news is that I can carry 2 or 3 of these smaller batteries in a pocket without any trouble, but your right, more so than the LED on the top deck, the present batteries are a bit weak. Perhaps Pentax can improve the mHz power in the same size and enhance the batteries limits by a few hundred shots using the same compact size...the technology is certainly there as the K-1 series batteries are good for double the capacity in only a slightly larger size.
01-04-2019, 01:07 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

You must have a defective battery or you always use your flash while never turning the camera off if you are only getting 200 images on a single battery.
I have gotten in excess of 500 on a single OEM battery and over 450 with a generic battery in my KP with minimal flash use, and turning the camera off when moving around looking for my next shot. I am surprised by the numbers you are reporting since that is less than half of the CIPA estimates.

These numbers you are reporting are more like a Mirrorless camera's max capacity. Please try another battery, either OEM or a new Watson from B and H and tell us how it works in comparison.
01-07-2019, 04:31 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
You must have a defective battery or you always use your flash while never turning the camera off if you are only getting 200 images on a single battery.
I have gotten in excess of 500 on a single OEM battery and over 450 with a generic battery in my KP with minimal flash use, and turning the camera off when moving around looking for my next shot. I am surprised by the numbers you are reporting since that is less than half of the CIPA estimates.

These numbers you are reporting are more like a Mirrorless camera's max capacity. Please try another battery, either OEM or a new Watson from B and H and tell us how it works in comparison.
I actually do not use flash. Most of the time I switch off the back screen as I assigned the function dial for switch that on/off. But I do not switch off camera when moving, which is auto-switched off in 1 minute without touching (?)
Absolutely I need to try another battery.
01-07-2019, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I actually do not use flash. Most of the time I switch off the back screen as I assigned the function dial for switch that on/off. But I do not switch off camera when moving, which is auto-switched off in 1 minute without touching (?)
Absolutely I need to try another battery.
I can almost guarantee better results. I do not even have the auto off set on my camera so I suspect there is either a problem with the battery, or perhaps even the camera if changing batteries does not cure your issue. Good luck! You should have the full enjoyment of your camera when you have this figured out.
01-10-2019, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

It always depends on how you use your camera. In one-day shooting full a lot of series of the same scene, you can definitely get to much higher numbers. However, if you take you camera every day for casual shooting, playing with settings, sorting pictures in your camera, than the numbers could be much lower.

I do not have a good experience with my d-li109 accumulator in freezy weather conditions - sometimes, using LV even with a fully charged battery is a real challenge ...

Anyway, there is a way how to spare your battery life - definitely turn off the display, using the info panels instead for a fast control, and set up the third wheel for a fast change of the rear display

Last edited by cport; 01-10-2019 at 04:19 AM.
01-10-2019, 03:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
It always depends on how you use your camera. In one-day shooting full a lot of series of the same scene, you can definitely get to much higher numbers. However, if you take you camera every day for casual shooting, playing with settings, sorting pictures in your camera, than the numbers could be much lower.

I do not have a good experience with my d-li109 accumulator in frozen weather - sometimes, using LV even with a fully charged battery is a real challenge ...

Anyway, there is a way how to spare your battery life - definitely turn off the display, using the info panels instead for a fast control, and set up the third wheel for a fast change of the rear display

Thanks for the advice,
I already turn the display down - even on my K3 .
--
Also I love to spare my batteries as much I can, and my style of shooting is much more effective since I've learned hot to use TAV mode properly.
-
TAV is most effective Manual style of shooting - and it became my almost exclusively and only camera mode - because I can do much more job without entering and changing the settings

--
I set up my speed and apperture, and all I have to do, is control "+/- " exposure balance, easy peasy.
--
That way I'm not using any of settings anymore, once I have done with aperture and speed set up in the beggining - and the screen is almost black all the time, except for 1 sec automatic fast preview, immediatelly after every shoot -
--
And - I can turn that off also -that could spare my battery even more.

Last edited by panonski; 01-10-2019 at 04:07 AM.
04-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #14
Forum Member

Worth it!!
I have giant hands, like NBA star palming a basketball sized paws. While smaller manual lenses, or light weight AF lenses were not an issue my heavier 135mm, 20-80mm, Tair-3s and DA*300 made it uncomfy. In the wet and cold last week with the DA* I noticed I was balancing on the bottom of the body with my ring finger or pinky, resulting in hand cramps and deep between the bones ache.

By the end of a couple hours I was hating my camera and trying to get a steady shot with an achy unsteady hand. I was debating shelving my KP in the damp and cold and using my FZ300 instead.
Ordered it the next day.
First thing I noticed was the way the camera balanced sporting it tourist style, second thing was it got mistaken for a film camera and a fullframe.

Mounted a swiss plate on the bottom for when I using it on the tilt head on my monopod.
04-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigNasty0213 Quote
Mounted a swiss plate on the bottom for when I using it on the tilt head on my monopod
Which swiss plate did you find that fit?