Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2019, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

KP an upgrade to K3 or K3II?

I like the photos that I've seen in this thread and I'm wondering if you all consider this an upgrade to the K3 and K3II?

01-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is, in many ways- most notably image quality, interface, and connectivity. Check out the full review here:
Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-12-2019, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One of the great mysteries of the twenty first century, this one. The KP has a more modern sensor, giving it better IQ. Being more modern means better interfacing. On the other hand, the buffer fills up faster on continuous shooting than the one on the K3. There is also only a single card slot on the KP.

All of this raises another great mystery. Why has the K3II not had an upgrade yet?
01-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
One of the great mysteries of the twenty first century, this one. The KP has a more modern sensor, giving it better IQ. Being more modern means better interfacing. On the other hand, the buffer fills up faster on continuous shooting than the one on the K3. There is also only a single card slot on the KP.

All of this raises another great mystery. Why has the K3II not had an upgrade yet?
Maybe by the twenty second century!

6 Days Ago   #5

Isn't the KP the same price as the K3II? Maybe Ricoh want's pros to move to the K1 series?
6 Days Ago   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
Isn't the KP the same price as the K3II? Maybe Ricoh want's pros to move to the K1 series?
Aha!

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

The KP will have notably better AF and ISO performance. The K3II however has the advantage of built in GPS and a far better battery. Base ISO IQ probably wouldn't be a reason you'd upgrade if that's what you're looking for.
6 Days Ago   #8

One thing I want in a camera that the KP doesn't have is two card slots. Who wants to be shooting for money, and have the card fail?

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

I don't think the KP was designed to replace the K-3. This is why you will see that there are several K-3 features missing on the KP which is more inclined to the K-1. So one should decide if he needs those features or not. I can tell you that my K-3 has not seen much use recently in favor of the KP. Why?
For me:

The KP is more portable
AF is a bit faster and has better first time accuracy
Better IQ
Lower noise
I find the files easier to post process
I do feel that the SR system gives me more range
Tilting screen
It has the looks

In my opinion both are great cameras of different breeds.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think I have got the KP versus K3 thing figured out. If you want the best features from both of them, just get a K1.

Latest processor? Check.
Dual card slots? Check.
Connectivity to the outside world? Check.
Great image quality? Check.
GPS? Check.
Astro tracing? Check.
Full frame goodness? Check.

Thank you.
3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. I appreciate your responses. Yea I would wish for a K3 replacement or dual cards in the KP. The K1 is incredible however the weight of full frames and lenses is crazy. Shooting events for hours with 2 FF cameras would be too much.
1 Minute Ago   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I think I have got the KP versus K3 thing figured out. If you want the best features from both of them, just get a K1.

Latest processor? Check.
Dual card slots? Check.
Connectivity to the outside world? Check.
Great image quality? Check.
GPS? Check.
Astro tracing? Check.
Full frame goodness? Check.

Thank you.
Having had all three cameras, I prefer the KP for portability, the K-1 for absolute imaging and since I sold the K-3/K-3iis, I don't miss them at all......