Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2019, 11:05 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

It took me forever to remember to do this, but I finally dragged my KP in and took some photos of my L-bracket setup.

It's not perfect, but it's "$15 solution" perfect, which is right up my alley.

So I had a universal L-bracket that's pretty much the MPU 100 that RamseyBuckeye mentioned. Mine was called the Desmond DAL-3 L Plate (via B&H). NINJA EDIT: if you hit Amazon looking for the MPU 105, I think that's the exact same thing I have.

So I originally cut a battery access notch out of it with a dremel tool when it was in service on my K-1.
The KP requires shortening the bracket even more.
Oh and while I had the dremel out, I hit it with the wire brush to knock the black paint off of it and keep the silver mystique.

Face-on. Don't mind the red cable. That's for the remote shutter. My biggest gripe with the KP is that the remote shutter is on the same side as the down-portrait orientation. We'll get to that later.

Bottom view. The cut stops with 0.9mm of metal left on the end of the screw mount travel cutout.

Same as before, with the battery door open. Juuuuuussssttttt enough clearance to maintain full function, and not jeopardize the mount cutout.

Back/side view. Full function maintained in the flippy screen. And a peek at my cable setup. This is a 3/8" right angle jack that stays plugged in to the remote shutter. I picked it because it's got enough clearance to not mess with how the L-bracket sits in a tripod mount when in the portrait orientation.

This solution has been solid for me for months. I'll take the bracket off every now and then when shooting the KP as a street camera. No problems reinstalling. Great setup. Love the KP too.

Last edited by disasterfilm; 12-12-2019 at 11:25 PM.
12-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jmpince Quote
Hello!! I´m finally here with the DIY tutorial for the KP!!

First of all the l bracket is this one: L Bracket for Fujifilm XT100 Vertical Shooting QR Plate Hand Grip Holder | eBay

It is just an L-bracket for the XT100 which nearly fit perfect on the KP!!

The first step, is to file the little edge of the bottom plate of the l-bracket as shown:

Second step, is to make a new hole, placed in the middle, at 2,5 cm of the edge of the plate:

And third step is to add some foam in the base plate to add 1mm of thickness on the bottom plate, to allow you to open the intervalometter door:

Best Regards Jose
Instead of filing off the ledge on bottom plate in step one, would it work to use a slightly thicker piece for the foam (or cork or whatever else might work) that is called for in your third step?
12-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just tried my old RRS plate designed for the K-5 which was slightly modified for the K-3 and it fits my KP perfectly. It does not cover the battery door but it does block the 2 little port doors on the left side. I rarely use those so this is the solution for me.
12-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oops! I just checked again and noticed that the RRS bracket I have does block the battery door. Sorry for the misinformation.

03-08-2024, 03:07 AM   #20
Forum Member

Guys I found something 😃

You are being redirected...

At least „Lexie“ and „Ellie“ seem to be short enough to still access the battery door.

A bit on the expensive side i know, but it should fit most Cameras from PENTAX so might be worth it.
03-08-2024, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by småfix Quote
Guys I found something 😃

At least „Lexie“ and „Ellie“ seem to be short enough to still access the battery door.

A bit on the expensive side i know, but it should fit most Cameras from PENTAX so might be worth it.
On my K3iiiMono I use the PD compatible and very compact Ellie ... a very good fit.
03-27-2024, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guys I found something ��

I guess I should have updated my post from 2019... I've been using Ellie Short's on my twin KP's for years now.
And another one on one of my infrared K-70's.

The Ellie Short is the perfect L-bracket for the KP. Modular so that it fits with the battery door hatch and also the wired remote shutter.

Since my KP's are almost 100% timelapse cameras, they live with the red remote shutter jumper cable dangling, and those plug into whatever intervalometer or slider I've brought with me. They dangle through the mounting bars and through this tiny divot in the vertical L-plate. Very smart of 3LT to anticipate that and leave space for the cable.

I've bought 2 off of Amazon Warehouse for $50-60, and the third used from a 3LT demo equipment sale for $65. I'm an engineer and I don't like paying full price for anything. I was happy with my $15 solution in 2019, but these are a way, way nicer solution.

Plus they come with this double-sized 3LT allen wrench that's perfect for my photo backpacks. It adjusts the allen keys of the L-bracket, but it's also the same size as the hex nuts in almost all of my tripods. Slam dunk piece of kit that's bailed me out of trouble quite a few times.

Last edited by disasterfilm; 03-27-2024 at 07:50 PM.
04-06-2024, 02:44 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
I guess I should have updated my post from 2019... I've been using Ellie Short's on my twin KP's for years now.
And another one on one of my infrared K-70's.

The Ellie Short is the perfect L-bracket for the KP. Modular so that it fits with the battery door hatch and also the wired remote shutter.

Since my KP's are almost 100% timelapse cameras, they live with the red remote shutter jumper cable dangling, and those plug into whatever intervalometer or slider I've brought with me. They dangle through the mounting bars and through this tiny divot in the vertical L-plate. Very smart of 3LT to anticipate that and leave space for the cable.

I've bought 2 off of Amazon Warehouse for $50-60, and the third used from a 3LT demo equipment sale for $65. I'm an engineer and I don't like paying full price for anything. I was happy with my $15 solution in 2019, but these are a way, way nicer solution.

Plus they come with this double-sized 3LT allen wrench that's perfect for my photo backpacks. It adjusts the allen keys of the L-bracket, but it's also the same size as the hex nuts in almost all of my tripods. Slam dunk piece of kit that's bailed me out of trouble quite a few times.
Well this conviced me. Actually seeing how it will fit my KP. Thank you for providing the images!
04-06-2024, 10:18 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well this conviced me. Actually seeing how it will fit my KP. Thank you for providing the images!
Great! I hope when yours gets here you'll agree that it runs away from the competition for best KP L-bracket.
Franky I'm surprised accessory manufacturers don't shoot or crowd-source these kinds of photos for product lines where fit and compatibility is such a huge issue.
Tiny bits of doubt have spared me from spending boatloads of money. Good for my bank account, bad for product manufacturers.