Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"L" Bracket for KP

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I decided to get an "L" bracket for my KP, not sure which one to get. I use a Manfrotto ballhead with RC2 plate on my tripod, and a Manfrotto 486RC head, with RC-2 plate on a monopod. I would like to continue to use my RC2 quick disconnect plates but can switch to an Arca Swiss style if I have to.

Anyone find a RC2 plate that works with a L bracket & KP?

---------- Post added 01-14-19 at 06:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I decided to get an "L" bracket for my KP, not sure which one to get. I use a Manfrotto ballhead with RC2 plate on my tripod, and a Manfrotto 486RC head, with RC-2 plate on a monopod. I would like to continue to use my RC2 quick disconnect plates but can switch to an Arca Swiss style if I have to.

Anyone find a RC2 plate that works with a L bracket & KP?
I don't why I didn't think of it before posting the question, but I did a search and did find a few threads for L brackets for the KP. None really found so far, and it looks like I might have to switch to an Arca Swiss style plate if I want an L bracket. Still hoping someone has found one that works with the RC2 plates.

01-20-2019, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you go with an arca swiss type there is a very low cost option called the MPU 100 available on ebay. Of course this is a Chinese knock off and you're not going to get any warranty of true specs, but many of the expensive ones may be made in the same place. I have only used it once for tabletop shooting. If I wanted to use it more out in the field I might buy an additional one to test how strong they are, they are that cheap, I got mine for under $5. I just took these two photos of it attached to the KP:

Name:  KP with L bracket 1.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  KP with L bracket 2.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  75.3 KB
01-21-2019, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the reply. I did some research on it and found one review of the bracket, which was positive.
MPU-100 Arca-Swiss compatible Universal Quick Release L plate bracket Review · David Kennard Photography

It looks like a set of arca-swiss mounts are in my future.
11-10-2019, 04:10 AM   #4

Does the battery compartment open with this L-Bracket??
I have just buy the KP, and i am looking for one!!!!

11-10-2019, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the following not camera specific one (arca swiss compatible) with my KP ...

Kupplungsplatte Slim in L-Form - NOVOFLEX Präzisionstechnik GmbH

To get full access to the battery compartment you have to shift the base plate. Doing this you also get enough room to access the cable release port and you can handle the camera perfectly holding it with your left hand - besides installing it in landscape or portrait orientation on a tripod. On the top the L also offers a 1/4“ thread where you can install a small ballhead with LED light by example. Greatly manufactured IMO, lightweight and fits perfectly for the KP. For the K-1 I use the bigger brother.

I had some time and thought I could add some images and maybe an unusual use case ...

L-Bracket shifted so that battery compartment can be opened. Enough room to plug a cable release - port is on the left side of the camera. The L can be used as lefthand grip.

Small angle scenery: L-Bracket slightly rotated. Small ball head on top with small LED Light attached.

The L-Bracket with small ball head and LED light as a small LED Light Stand.

L-Bracket attached closely to the KP, small ball head on top.

Last edited by acoufap; 11-10-2019 at 08:46 AM.
11-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I use the following not camera specific one (arca swiss compatible) with my KP ...

Kupplungsplatte Slim in L-Form - NOVOFLEX Präzisionstechnik GmbH

To get full access to the battery compartment you have to shift the base plate. Doing this you also get enough room to access the cable release port and you can handle the camera perfectly holding it with your left hand - besides installing it in landscape or portrait orientation on a tripod. On the top the L also offers a 1/4“ thread where you can install a small ballhead with LED light by example. Greatly manufactured IMO, lightweight and fits perfectly for the KP. For the K-1 I use the bigger brother.

I had some time and thought I could add some images and maybe an unusual use case ...

L-Bracket shifted so that battery compartment can be opened. Enough room to plug a cable release - port is on the left side of the camera. The L can be used as lefthand grip.

Small angle scenery: L-Bracket slightly rotated. Small ball head on top with small LED Light attached.

The L-Bracket with small ball head and LED light as a small LED Light Stand.

L-Bracket attached closely to the KP, small ball head on top.
Thank you sir for your answer!! But Is there any other that letsyou open the battery compartment???
11-17-2019, 04:05 AM   #7

I just got a Acratecth L bracket with a quick release feature. There not cheap , but you don’t have to worry about covering up your battery compartment and they can be switched to different bodies easily .

Mike

12-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #8

Well finally i have found a L-Bracket that fits nearly perfect on the KP. It only needs some adjustements, but it is nearly a custom one for the KP.

12-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jmpince Quote
Well finally i have found a L-Bracket that fits nearly perfect on the KP. It only needs some adjustements, but it is nearly a custom one for the KP.
What is it? Where can one get it? Do you have a link you care to share?
12-09-2019, 09:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’d love to know which one that is also, along with what adjustments you’ve done.

I have an Aratech generic L-bracket I bought to use with a K-S1, but don’t use it much. It’s bulky and I still have to use a plate on the camera.
12-10-2019, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #11

I will be receiving another one today for a friend. I will make a "tutorial" with the adjuatments, and upload them here on the thread for all of you, along with the link to the L-Bracket!!
12-10-2019, 02:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will be receiving another one today for a friend. I will make a "tutorial" with the adjuatments, and upload them here on the thread for all of you, along with the link to the L-Bracket!!
Please, do it. I need one too. 😉
12-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like this one, but with a re-drilled hole for the KP tripod hole location

NEWYI Metal QR Quick Release L Plate Bracket Camera Mount Vertical Grip for I7T5 194452777624 | eBay
12-12-2019, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #14

Hello!! I´m finally here with the DIY tutorial for the KP!!

First of all the l bracket is this one: L Bracket for Fujifilm XT100 Vertical Shooting QR Plate Hand Grip Holder | eBay

It is just an L-bracket for the XT100 which nearly fit perfect on the KP!!

The first step, is to file the little edge of the bottom plate of the l-bracket as shown:

Second step, is to make a new hole, placed in the middle, at 2,5 cm of the edge of the plate:

And third step is to add some foam in the base plate to add 1mm of thickness on the bottom plate, to allow you to open the intervalometter door:

Best Regards Jose
12-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for showing and explaining how you did it. It looks like some relatively easy modifications, but beyond my capability at this time. I’ll need to find someone with the proper tools - I really like how it came out!