Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Does anyone try the video mode on KP?

I know Pentax company may not want to boost video performance. However, I tried the video mode on KP yesterday, and I think it's ok for me. I tried a B-roll video. It's only 38 seconds. So either that I use 1080 60i or 720 60p. I tried the 720 60p once, but details were a bit blurry. 1080 60i looks ok in details, but it's interlaced not progressive. But I still tried it anyway. I wish when I want to take a video sometimes, I can get a decent return. I still have a hope that Pentax upgrades the video performance. At least 1080 120p or 60p.

This video is video only. I can add audio and edit too much color on it because I was using Mac Air.

02-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Video holds no interest for me in a camera. I have separate Samsung 'tube" video camera for when I need it. Cameras, like the mid to upper range models I use are designed for one thing: picture taking. Even Leica removed a video option form their M typ 240 when the successor model typ 262 had video removed.

To me: if I need a sudden video, my iPhone does the job in the pinch. Cheers.
02-23-2019, 12:24 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lol, to say my i-phone does the job is a slap to the face to any camera manufacturer and doesn't make any good to brands like Pentax who really needs to step up in this department. Anyway, Pentax still can be used as a B cam, it should be fine. I used to be Pentax advocate but my phone does the better job than my Pentax cam so I went with Sony A7iii to have both decent video and stills.
02-23-2019, 12:53 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
Lol, to say my i-phone does the job is a slap to the face to any camera manufacturer and doesn't make any good to brands like Pentax who really needs to step up in this department. Anyway, Pentax still can be used as a B cam, it should be fine. I used to be Pentax advocate but my phone does the better job than my Pentax cam so I went with Sony A7iii to have both decent video and stills.
I just hate shooting video with a camera. If that is important to you, buy a Sony....I take pictures. "Jack of all trades, master of none" is my adage and for what it's worth, the video if employed is more than adequate. Maybe I'm a 20th century guy in a 21st century world, But I guess that's reflected in my kit selection: Pentax and Leica....I also subscribe to the theory that SUV's can't be sports cars no matter how configured....Different courses for different horses....(2 cliches in 1 reply--yeah).

02-23-2019, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Lol, to say my i-phone does the job is a slap to the face to any camera manufacturer
Except, perhaps, to those that don't even offer video. As for your A7iii...nice piece of hardware, though the EVF drives my eyes crazy. I suppose it is a slap in the face to Sony that my K-3 has a more agreeable viewfinder? Of course not, even though I am not the only person who complains of vertigo and headache from their EVF. Assuming they fix the viewfinder issue in firmware (do pigs fly?), it is still a firm bet that I would never buy an A7iii for its video prowess. I am far more interested in using it with for still photography, primarily landscape with adapted glass.

Steve

(...it might be a slap in the face to Sony to have such poor environmental seals...BTW, am very much a fan of the A7ii...)
02-23-2019, 04:24 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

To me, the video mode is a nuisance. Once upon a time, I accidentally took video with my Q-7 when I spun in a hurry meaning to go from 'M' mode to 'P' mode and overshot by one position. In just three months of ownership, twice I have accidentally taken video with my KP when I flipped the switch in a hurry meaning to go from OVF to LV and overshot by one position.

In the days of film, a person needed a special camera to take movies; I think that was a superb model.

added: for me, the ideal control would be designed by the people who design ICBM launch sites - you can enter video mode only if two different keys, each held by a different person, are placed in the camera and turned at the same time.

Last edited by reh321; 02-23-2019 at 04:31 PM.
02-23-2019, 09:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
I tried my iPhone 7 with FiLMiC Pro app. Honestly speaking, iPhone 7 is better than KP. Well, the quality of video probably is identical if using 1080 60p, but iPhone 7 has 1080 120p! For slow motion, it's way better than Pentax any camera. FilMic Pro also allows users to shoot in Log. In the low light however, iPhone 7 is really bad, but not much chance shoot in indoor actually. But at night, iPhone 7 is totally useless. I am not a Pentax advocate, but I am trying to value my camera and trying all functions on my camera. And I agree with Merv-O said that
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
SUV's can't be sports cars no matter how configured....Different courses for different horses....
. I like Pentax's color rendition, so I bought a KP. Nonetheless, color rendition seems not much difference today. Fujifilm X-T3 is on my list. This camera is good on shoot photo and video. I don't take it for business, but it's more than enough for recording a trip and life.

ps : I still hope Pentax/Ricoh could improve the video function. The newest start lens 50mm f1.4 is way better than old start lenses. But I seem to figure out that Pentax didn't change the algorithm of focus, instead of they bump up the SDM size to make it fast?

cheers.

02-23-2019, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wl02356427 Quote
. FilMic Pro also allows users to shoot in Log.
Very handy when you have to pay extra through a dealer on a Panny GH5 to get it.

02-24-2019, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wl02356427 Quote
I tried my iPhone 7 with FiLMiC Pro app. Honestly speaking, iPhone 7 is better than KP. Well, the quality of video probably is identical if using 1080 60p, but iPhone 7 has 1080 120p! For slow motion, it's way better than Pentax any camera. FilMic Pro also allows users to shoot in Log. In the low light however, iPhone 7 is really bad, but not much chance shoot in indoor actually. But at night, iPhone 7 is totally useless. I am not a Pentax advocate, but I am trying to value my camera and trying all functions on my camera. And I agree with Merv-O said that . I like Pentax's color rendition, so I bought a KP. Nonetheless, color rendition seems not much difference today. Fujifilm X-T3 is on my list. This camera is good on shoot photo and video. I don't take it for business, but it's more than enough for recording a trip and life.

ps : I still hope Pentax/Ricoh could improve the video function. The newest start lens 50mm f1.4 is way better than old start lenses. But I seem to figure out that Pentax didn't change the algorithm of focus, instead of they bump up the SDM size to make it fast?

cheers.
From the reviews I have seen, the XT-3 is a super nice but is much more expensive and has poor weather sealing, especially compared to the KP so good luck when the rains come.
02-24-2019, 10:17 AM - 2 Likes   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
From the reviews I have seen, the XT-3 is a super nice but is much more expensive and has poor weather sealing, especially compared to the KP so good luck when the rains come.
Yeah! You're right!! That is what I concern about. Kp is really good on weather sealing.
03-04-2019, 02:40 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

I think video on the KP is more than acceptable, especially when graded. For youtube you can barely tell the difference between cameras anyways.

Also try high iso on the KP's video. The accelerator does an amazing job.
03-04-2019, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I think video on the KP is more than acceptable, especially when graded. For youtube you can barely tell the difference between cameras anyways.

Also try high iso on the KP's video. The accelerator does an amazing job.
I agree with you. High iSO on KP is amazing, of course. It'll be fine if the video at 100% speed or above. However, a slow-motion video may be not good if bright colors are in the video especially red. Those bright colors are turbulent. It's like those colors are been peeled off. I don't know it happened because of my Mac Air, or 60 interlaced. I even tried a custom image and reduce saturation and contrast, but it's still the same if I edit those color back.
03-10-2019, 07:55 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

The Fuji XT-3 might be better for video use, but as others said, the KP does a decent job, and for more extensive video shooting, a dedicated video camera is the best way to go. Nothing wrong with pulling out your cell phone for some video capture either. They have come a long way, but of course cannot do in still photography all that a good DSLR can do.

The Fuji also has-

A retro-designed but primitive controls set compared to the KP, with a shutter speed dial having only full-stop increments while the KP can be set for 1/2 or even 1/3 stop increments for fine-tuning exposure. However, the Fuji's exposure comp dial might work in Manual mode (most +/- controls are cancelled in Manual mode) which could establish in-between settings. But then you'd be working with 2-dials taking up a lot of space for one purpose, that could have been put to better use. The KP's advanced controls design is very fast for making multiple adjustments on the fly.

No IB shake reduction control. And all lenses for it may not have OIS. The KP's is an advanced 5-axis design and is usable with even many, many older lenses.

No built-in flash. The KP's BI flash for fast grab shots or outdoor fill can also be used for wireless control of outboard flash units.

Some prefer an OLED VF as offered by the Fuji model. But I appreciate having the KP's top-notch pentaprism OVF with 100% coverage and 95x magnification of the entire frame, rather than the OLED of the Fuji XT-3 and its 75% magnification.

When it comes to good old photography, the KP is a more capable tool for picture-taking, and has a great design and build quality. When it comes to size and weight, even with its built-in flash, superior controls, and excellent glass VF, the KP is not much different than the Fuji XT-3.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-10-2019 at 08:04 PM.
03-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
ome prefer an OLED VF as offered by the Fuji model. But I appreciate having the KP's top-notch pentaprism OVF with 100% coverage and 95x magnification of the entire frame, rather than the OLED of the Fuji XT-3 and its 75% magnification.
I agree. I had a Leica Visoflex on my TL and it was overrated. Used a EVF-1 on my M240, but still prefer the RF. On the Pentax a 100% pentaprism is just A-1. Can not agree more with you on this point. My present Leica CL has the new OLED EVF and the trouble is, it sometimes remains brighter than the actual shot which in turn, causes me to under expose in certain light. With the Pentaprism, what you see is what you proverbially receive. The KP is a beast.

Last edited by Merv-O; 03-10-2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typos
03-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The Fuji XT-3 might be better for video use, but as others said, the KP does a decent job, and for more extensive video shooting, a dedicated video camera is the best way to go. Nothing wrong with pulling out your cell phone for some video capture either. They have come a long way, but of course cannot do in still photography all that a good DSLR can do.

The Fuji also has-

A retro-designed but primitive controls set compared to the KP, with a shutter speed dial having only full-stop increments while the KP can be set for 1/2 or even 1/3 stop increments for fine-tuning exposure. However, the Fuji's exposure comp dial might work in Manual mode (most +/- controls are cancelled in Manual mode) which could establish in-between settings. But then you'd be working with 2-dials taking up a lot of space for one purpose, that could have been put to better use. The KP's advanced controls design is very fast for making multiple adjustments on the fly.

No IB shake reduction control. And all lenses for it may not have OIS. The KP's is an advanced 5-axis design and is usable with even many, many older lenses.

No built-in flash. The KP's BI flash for fast grab shots or outdoor fill can also be used for wireless control of outboard flash units.

Some prefer an OLED VF as offered by the Fuji model. But I appreciate having the KP's top-notch pentaprism OVF with 100% coverage and 95x magnification of the entire frame, rather than the OLED of the Fuji XT-3 and its 75% magnification.

When it comes to good old photography, the KP is a more capable tool for picture-taking, and has a great design and build quality. When it comes to size and weight, even with its built-in flash, superior controls, and excellent glass VF, the KP is not much different than the Fuji XT-3.
I agree. Actually, I have tried X-T3 last week. The big issue is no IBIS on all lenses. Well, at least XF 16-55mm f2.8 doesn't. And as you mentioned that X-T3 is a retro-designed. It's a little bit uncomfortable to me, but I am not gonna judge it. I didn't use Fujifilm's camera before. I think I just not used to it, so no biased.

Regarding Pentax KP, it is a good and portable APS-C camera no doubt. I have used it for almost 1 year, and I can say with certitude that I even can shoot with 1/20 without a tripod. Good job KP! I really love it.

Recently, I have a question that does PENTAX would release a new firmware for upgrading their camera? If you look through Fujifilm, they always take care of their users.