Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2019, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wl02356427 Quote
Recently, I have a question that does PENTAX would release a new firmware for upgrading their camera? If you look through Fujifilm, they always take care of their users.
Pentax only rarely extends feature upgrades through firmware and even then, it is usually limited to new lens/flash support. Their approach is to release the cameras with an extensive and stable feature set rather than dribble out the features over time as the developers fix the bugs.

Steve

03-12-2019, 11:33 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I still have a hope that Pentax upgrades the video performance. At least 1080 120p or 60p.
Recently, I have a question that does PENTAX would release a new firmware for upgrading their camera? If you look through Fujifilm, they always take care of their users.
If you are hoping that Pentax will add those video modes to the KP via firmware, that's just not possible. The video modes are built into the PRIME/Milbeaut image processor, which Pentax buys from SocioNext. Pentax designs an interface to use the built-in modes, but that is all they do. The existing 2-core Milbeaut designs don't have the processing power for 1080p60 or 1080p120 (or else SocioNext would be selling them as such). By comparison, the FujiFilm X-T3 is using a quad-core processor, probably running at a faster clock speed.
03-12-2019, 08:07 PM - 2 Likes   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
If you are hoping that Pentax will add those video modes to the KP via firmware, that's just not possible. The video modes are built into the PRIME/Milbeaut image processor, which Pentax buys from SocioNext. Pentax designs an interface to use the built-in modes, but that is all they do. The existing 2-core Milbeaut designs don't have the processing power for 1080p60 or 1080p120 (or else SocioNext would be selling them as such). By comparison, the FujiFilm X-T3 is using a quad-core processor, probably running at a faster clock speed.
WoW, thank you for your information. I searched the Socionext. It seems like MB86S22 model (1080/60i, H.264) is inserted on KP. I downloaded their PDF file. Those features are so familiar with. This technology released in 2016, K1 released in 2016, and KP released in 2017. That's good. So, the right question to PENTAX is that "Do they will insert SC2000 model (4K, H.264/ H.265(HEVC), Dual Camera) in the future camera?" SC2000 model only supports H264 4K p30/HEVC 4K p30, but FHD is up to 240fps. And yet "Dual Camera?" is it only for a smartphone? But it categorized in digital camera solution. In their official website, SC2002 seems to be the newest one.

Last edited by wl02356427; 03-12-2019 at 08:15 PM.
03-13-2019, 02:48 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
WoW, thank you for your information. I searched the Socionext. It seems like MB86S22 model (1080/60i, H.264) is inserted on KP. I downloaded their PDF file. Those features are so familiar with. This technology released in 2016, K1 released in 2016, and KP released in 2017. That's good. So, the right question to PENTAX is that "Do they will insert SC2000 model (4K, H.264/ H.265(HEVC), Dual Camera) in the future camera?" SC2000 model only supports H264 4K p30/HEVC 4K p30, but FHD is up to 240fps. And yet "Dual Camera?" is it only for a smartphone? But it categorized in digital camera solution. In their official website, SC2002 seems to be the newest one.
I think there is a pretty good chance that Pentax is ready to move on from their current PRIME engine to something a bit newer. That probably means better video going forward, but older models are what they are from that standpoint.

03-13-2019, 03:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think there is a pretty good chance that Pentax is ready to move on from their current PRIME engine to something a bit newer. That probably means better video going forward, but older models are what they are from that standpoint.
Fully agree, probably the reason why K3 III development takes some more time...
03-13-2019, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Video holds no interest for me in a camera. <snip> To me: if I need a sudden video, my iPhone does the job in the pinch. Cheers.
This is where I’m at. The only time I’ve taken video with my KP is when I’ve accidentally flipped the selector switch past live view.

No dig on folks that want a one size fits all, but I bought a DSLR for still pictures. And the KP has consistently amazed me in that capacity.

If Ricoh drops video completely from any potential successor that’ll be fine with me.
03-29-2019, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I searched the Socionext. ...
Thank you for your research. Useful to note.

Memo to Ricoh - please upgrade to these new Socionext chips soon, or similar. If you can add an Accelerator chip onto the camera main board to improve noise handling, adding a support chip with advanced video capabilities should be done too.

03-30-2019, 07:39 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Thank you for your research. Useful to note.

Memo to Ricoh - please upgrade to these new Socionext chips soon, or similar. If you can add an Accelerator chip onto the camera main board to improve noise handling, adding a support chip with advanced video capabilities should be done too.
The next post will be, “That’s a ridiculously high price for a Pentax camera”.
03-30-2019, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The next post will be, “That’s a ridiculously high price for a Pentax camera”.
Hard to tell costs - it depends on the parts inventory and other work needed.

From the research wl02356427 has done above, the latest Milbeaut image processor seems to have nice video features built-in, in which case a new Pentax might not need a dedicated video co-processor. But fancy video features may require some extra software development, I guess, in the camera firmware, which could cost a bit for Ricoh.

Looking over at Nikon, who also use the Milbeaut image processor (Pentax calls it PRIME, Nikon calls it EXPEED), their DSLR's only started supporting stuff like 4K video once they introduced the EXPEED 5 image processor in the D500/D5 in 2016. EXPEED 4 (as used in the D810, D750, D7200 didn't support 4K).

Interestingly, Nikon says:

QuoteQuote:
EXPEED 5
Supports 4K UHD Full-frame Video, low noise at high ISO, high speed, shooting, long battery life, faster processing than EXPEED 4
The 'low noise at high ISO' bit sounds a lot like what the Pentax accelerator chip does, so Pentax's use of a new Milbeaut chip in future may also mean that Ricoh might not need to use the seperate Accelerator chip anymore.

With their adoption of these chips since 2016, Nikon has generated the sales volume for Socionext. Now Pentax may even be able to obtain these new 4K Milbeaut's cheaper.

It sounds to me that inertia (ie staying with Milbeaut and not doing any special hardware themselves for video) could carry Ricoh over the line in terms of their next series of cameras having better video.
04-01-2019, 01:30 AM   #25

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I think adding more function on their camera is the trend since Fujifilm knocked the bell to open the 4K 60/fps on an APS-C camera. Customers would be thinking of more features is better than nothing if the prices are close. If PENTAX wants to survive, then they don't have a choice, because it is a business. They build new star lenses with EMD (Electro-Magnetic Diaphragm), it is probably not a new tech for other brands, but it is a good beginning. A processor is as the heart on a camera. It is a very beginning of an upgrade. Even though they enhance all functions without a fast processor, the battery's life and camera temperature would be a problem not even to release a mirrorless camera. I don't believe they will have a "JUMP" improvement, so the price may be not really ugly (The price of the newest star lens is really ugly !!!)

Last edited by wl02356427; 04-01-2019 at 01:37 AM.
04-12-2019, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

I tried to find KP's video testing reviews - but the internet is poorly covered with such video-recording reviews with KP.

-
I'm not video guy in any aspect, but I noticed high compression in Video from KP, giving to the recording lack of true colors, shorter Dynamic Range, and ruininig fine details - and that's also have been noticed in some others KPs reviews.

--
Matias Burling ( I think you all know who the guy is ) in his KPs - very decent review, was mentioned -the KP video is "actually really good" ( exact words ).

FP rates really doesnt meen so much to me,. because I think 30 fp is like an old film camera standard - and if it was good than for filming in Hollywood, than why suddenly must be 120 fps . I know the slow motion filming must have such speeds, but for every day use,
30 fps - is good choice.

- maybe even smarter then using 60 fps.

--
I also tried to find - what is the best movie settings for this camera or similar Pentax Cameras, like K1, or K3 - and I found very little or nothing infos on that -
which clearly tells us
how many videographic users - actually do their videos with Pentax.

-
Yes, around zero would be wild guess on that qustion

--
However - Sometimes I do want shoot some videos - and I would love to hear from the others experiance - which movie recording settings they're prefering