Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KP mode dial issues

Has anyone experienced any issues with the mode dial on a KP? Mine stopped working correctly from one day to the next. Dial is on Av but the camera is actually in user mode 1; moving the dial doesn't actually change modes. If I switch the camera to live view it recognizes that it's in aperture priority, but once I switch back to the regular viewfinder it goes right back into user mode. I thought I'd seen a thread about a similar issue but I can't seem to find it now. I've already boxed mine up and sent it off for service since the warranty will expire in a couple of weeks, but was curious if anyone had encountered a similar fault.

--Steve

02-23-2019, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know there were some K-1 owners that experienced mode dial issues with early K-1 cameras. I've not seen any threads about a similar issue with the KP.
03-05-2019, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looks like I was just lucky. In any case, I received the camera back from Precision today, which was a much quicker turnaround than I'd expected. In case anyone is remotely interested, the repair consisted of:

TOP COVER OPERATION REPLACED
A COMPLETE REPAIR AND RETURN ALL FUNCTIONS TO FACTORY SPECS

They also updated the firmware to 1.10 (I'd completely forgotten to do so myself) and cleaned it up.
03-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great news!

03-05-2019, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Great news!
Yes it is. Thank you!
03-15-2019, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I had an issue with the mode dial as well. In my case not all of the custom modes were working. I had it fixed at Precision Camera under the warranty and it works great now. Congrats on a successful repair!
03-15-2019, 08:14 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
I had an issue with the mode dial as well. In my case not all of the custom modes were working. I had it fixed at Precision Camera under the warranty and it works great now. Congrats on a successful repair!
Thanks! Glad to hear your repair went well too. So far mine's working like a champ!

07-14-2019, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #8

Greetings fellow KP users. Sorry to resurrect this thread but I too have this very issue. Bulb registers as Tv, U5 as U2 and U4 is not recognized at all. Ive sent it to Precision three days ago and am looking forward to getting it back. If im looking at your posts correctly, it took about 10 days total for you guys to get your KPs back from repair?
07-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NERVF3RN Quote
Greetings fellow KP users. Sorry to resurrect this thread but I too have this very issue. Bulb registers as Tv, U5 as U2 and U4 is not recognized at all. Ive sent it to Precision three days ago and am looking forward to getting it back. If im looking at your posts correctly, it took about 10 days total for you guys to get your KPs back from repair?
10 working days, about two weeks total. Plenty fast enough for me!

--Steve
07-14-2019, 11:54 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
10 working days, about two weeks total. Plenty fast enough for me!

--Steve
Was their repair progress tracker on their website accurate at all for you? Trying to gauge it before I leave for a trip. Thanks for the reply Steve!

/r

Kyle
07-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ashurbanipal
NERVF3RN
wstruth

Would you mind sharing your KP serial numbers? This might be useful information to see if this problem relates to a specific production batch of cameras.
07-16-2019, 12:50 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
ashurbanipal
NERVF3RN
wstruth

Would you mind sharing your KP serial numbers? This might be useful information to see if this problem relates to a specific production batch of cameras.
caliscouser,
Has this happened to your KP as well? Exposure dial issues?
07-17-2019, 08:02 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Was their repair progress tracker on their website accurate at all for you? Trying to gauge it before I leave for a trip. Thanks for the reply Steve!

/r

Kyle
I honestly can't recall, so I'm sure it wasn't wildly inaccurate. That I would remember! Sorry I can't be of more help.

--Steve

---------- Post added 07-17-19 at 10:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
ashurbanipal
NERVF3RN
wstruth

Don't have the camera handy at the moment, and it looks like I didn't record it on the PF serial number database. I'll try to rectify that next time I have the camera nearby when I'm logged in.

--Steve
07-18-2019, 12:08 AM   #14

This is my S/N 7381888. Are we trying to see if its all within the same general series numbers?
07-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is my S/N 7381888. Are we trying to see if its all within the same general series numbers?
Thanks NERVF3RN. Yes, it is to see if the issue is clustered around a certain range of serial numbers or a particular batch, or perhaps early builds, etc.
Yours is a late build.