Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Arca Swiss plate for my KP

Hello Folks,
I just purchased the KP to go along with my K-1. Due to my fractured back, I normally shoot from a tripod. I use a Markins ballhead which uses arca swiss plates. I need something for my KP. It needs to support a DA 200mm lens. I am definitely searching, but can't find anything. Can someone please recommend a good plate for me. My KP comes tomorrow, and my lens comes next Thursday. I would really like to get something on order asap. Thank you so much for your help.
Regards,
Terry

Last edited by TerryL; 03-15-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling
03-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd probably get a longish plate so that you can place the center of gravity over the tripod head. Something like the Breakthrough 85mm plate should work. It's $20 on Amazon.

---------- Post added 03-15-19 at 04:56 PM ----------

You could also get a Telephoto Lens Support Bracket if you feel it's necessary
03-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I'd probably get a longish plate so that you can place the center of gravity over the tripod head. Something like the Breakthrough 85mm plate should work. It's $20 on Amazon.

---------- Post added 03-15-19 at 04:56 PM ----------

You could also get a Telephoto Lens Support Bracket if you feel it's necessary
Roger,
Thank you very much. I will look at both of those. My camera comes tomorrow, so I will look at the bottom to see how much room I have. I prefer full length plates like on my K-1, but I read a comment on the forum that it would block where you put the battery. Breakthrough should have something.
Regards,
Terry
03-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
I will look at the bottom to see how much room I have
You'll have to put the plate perpendicular to the bottom, and it won't block the battery door.

03-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This might be what you want. I am looking to purchase one.

MPU-100 Arca-Swiss compatible Universal Quick Release L plate bracket Review · David Kennard Photography
04-07-2019, 04:22 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Custom Camera Plate for KP

I was looking for a custom camera plate for the KP, and had no luck until I talked to Chris Hejnar at Hejnar Photo. I ended up sending him the battery grip for my KP as a template, and he sent me back a prototype (not anodized) to check out, and it looks good to me! Because the KP doesn’t have any good edges to hook on to avoid twisting, the plate has a pin that fits into the registration hole for the battery grip on the left side of the camera base plate. The depressions in the surface are to accommodate the little nibs on the KP baseplate, which otherwise keep the plate from making full contact with the baseplate of the camera. It looks and works good for me, so he is sending a batch of plates off for anodization. I recommend this product.

I receive no benefit from mentioning his work here, but as far as I know, this is the only custom arca-Swiss compatible camera plate being made for the KP, and it provides some real benefits over the generic ones I’ve tried. It’s $38, which is cheaper than some of the generic ones. Chris seems like a good, honest guy. Here is a link:
Pentax KP camera plate
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
04-08-2019, 05:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mstahulak Quote
I was looking for a custom camera plate for the KP, and had no luck until I talked to Chris Hejnar at Hejnar Photo. I ended up sending him the battery grip for my KP as a template, and he sent me back a prototype (not anodized) to check out, and it looks good to me! Because the KP doesn’t have any good edges to hook on to avoid twisting, the plate has a pin that fits into the registration hole for the battery grip on the left side of the camera base plate. The depressions in the surface are to accommodate the little nibs on the KP baseplate, which otherwise keep the plate from making full contact with the baseplate of the camera. It looks and works good for me, so he is sending a batch of plates off for anodization. I recommend this product.

I receive no benefit from mentioning his work here, but as far as I know, this is the only custom arca-Swiss compatible camera plate being made for the KP, and it provides some real benefits over the generic ones I’ve tried. It’s $38, which is cheaper than some of the generic ones. Chris seems like a good, honest guy. Here is a link:
Pentax KP camera plate
I really appreciate that. I did eventually find one at B&H that fits perfect.
Terry

---------- Post added 04-08-19 at 05:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
I really appreciate that. I did eventually find one at B&H that fits perfect.
Terry
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images500x500/Acratech_2137_Quick_Releas...981&
This is it. The lip fits right under the screen, and snug against the camera. I does not interfere with the screen tilting, what so ever.
Terry

Last edited by TerryL; 04-08-2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling
05-04-2019, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Update: Hejnar custom plate for KP

The final, anodized version arrived a week ago. I’m happy. Looks good, does the job, affordable:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
11-26-2019, 02:12 PM   #9

That is an amazing job!!

Has you consider to tell your friend to make an specific L-bracket for the Kp?
11-26-2019, 09:11 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m sure he would do it.

An L-Plate wasn’t what I was looking for: too much weight, too much extra bulk, too much money. I’ve had L-Plates for other cameras, and I didn’t find them to be useful enough, where is a small regular plate can be left on the body, I never felt like I wanted to do that with an L-Plate. But ask him, I’m sure he would be willing:

Pentax KP camera plate

Mike
12-11-2019, 06:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mstahulak Quote
The final, anodized version arrived a week ago. I’m happy. Looks good, does the job, affordable:
Wow, sadly I didn't see this post before or I would purchase a couple. The plate looks awesome.
Please, tell your friend to make an L-plate for the KP, I really need it and would buy it, and I'm pretty sure more people would do the same because there are no options.
05-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interested in this plate.

It doesn't appear that unlike other plates there doesn't appear to be any sort of rubber, cork or other surface added to the top of the plate at the interface of the plate and camera bottom. Is that a concern for protection of the camera's bottom surface, is the plate annodization adequate?

Thanks.
05-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the link. I just ordered one.