Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixel shift question

Was wondering if there is an increase in dynamic range by using pixel shift or if it provides additional headroom for post processing.

Thanks

03-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
This means a full RGB value for a pixel location can be created without having to interpolate from neighboring values.

PIXLS.US - RawTherapee and Pentax Pixel Shift

Explains all the details very well
03-16-2019, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've come across several article that touch on this.

QuoteQuote:
Conclusion - In conclusion, the K-1 gives one of the best Raw dynamic range results we've ever seen, when shooting in single shot mode and absolutely outstanding results in circumstances where you can use the pixel shift mode. The multiple sampling of the same scene effectively gives a 2EV dynamic range boost, meaning it out-performs both the D810 and the 645Z by a comfortable margin. Less noise (though multiple captures) and multiple 14-bit values at every pixel mean it can give outstanding levels of DR for static scenes where you can use the Pixel Shift mode.

Then this site, provides a set of excellent examples of non PS vs PS across several post processing utilities and discusses the differences.
Then there are some sites discussing that PS potentially meeting and exceeds Medium Format dynamic range.
03-17-2019, 02:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K1N8's article is a pretty good summation. To me, it increases color depth the most, but it does decreased noise in the shadows. If you use it at higher isos, I think the noise reduction can be profound. It does add about some dynamic range in that I can bump shadows quite a bit more with a pixel shift image than I can with a straight K-1 image without having artifacts and unwanted noise show up in the final image.