Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
OK this is finally making sense to me. The KP like the Fuji mentioned has on sensor PDAF (not sure if these are used in any mode but they are there) this creates the mask that causes the shadow that can result in this purple/pink flare. The K-3 I have does not have this mask (nor did the K-50 or K100D Super before it. So I literally have had no opportunity to see this in the past.

@bizarr this is apparently a consequence of on sensor PDAF sensors. The KP sensor from all indications has these even if it isn't clear when they are used (maybe during AF-C in liveview/video?). The presence of these appears to cause this (see the petapixel article about fuji purple flare for an explanation. This does not appear to be anything wrong with your KP - but it does appear to be something that is specific to that camera and the K-70 which the K-3/K-3ii would not exhibit due to the lack of PDAF embedded sensors in those K-3 models.

---------- Post added 03-22-19 at 05:42 PM ----------

Thank you @photoptimist for getting me there.
Am I the first to write about it ? Cant find any info about it online. No one noticed this before? Weird.

03-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bizarr Quote
Am I the first to write about it ? Cant find any info about it online. No one noticed this before? Weird.
Actually, there is info about it online. Just search "purple flare" and you'll find that others have had this problems with several models of Fuji cameras, Panasonic GX-1, Olympus E-M5, many with an iPhone 5, people using 3rd party EF-to-EOS M adapters(Don't buy third-party EF to EF-M adaptors! Purple haze!), and even one person with the KP in 2017 (Test zrcadlovky Pentax KP | FotoAparįt.cz).

It's just not a common problem because it depends on a fairly specific combination of a dark subject with a very bright light source at the edge of the frame or just beyond it.
04-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think I have got at most cameras, even non pentax

I believe sensors without AA filters are more suspective to this.

---------- Post added 04-11-19 at 09:54 AM ----------

KP

KS2

04-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
I think I have got at most cameras, even non pentax

I believe sensors without AA filters are more suspective to this.

---------- Post added 04-11-19 at 09:54 AM ----------

KP

KS2

To me those are very different. Also I'm unclear if the proposed theory which suggests this is the result of on chip pdaf sensors. Does the ks2 have on sensor pdaf?

04-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To me those are very different. Also I'm unclear if the proposed theory which suggests this is the result of on chip pdaf sensors. Does the ks2 have on sensor pdaf?
IMHO / personal non scientific evidence

No. But i have also k30 wich has AA and I haven't experienced this. I have seen it on other ks2 and some sony camera which both have not aa filter.

My theory is really reflections or... over excited cells in sensor?

To sum up I have seen it just on cameras without AA filter.
04-11-2019, 07:15 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
IMHO / personal non scientific evidence

No. But i have also k30 wich has AA and I haven't experienced this. I have seen it on other ks2 and some sony camera which both have not aa filter.

My theory is really reflections or... over excited cells in sensor?

To sum up I have seen it just on cameras without AA filter.
To be fair I cannot find any info that clearly associates the KS-2 with the onboard PDAF sensors. The K-70 and KP on the other hand do have these on the sensor. The theory you have is certainly a reasonable one but the article published in the thread above seems to show physics for why the PDAF onboard is responsible.
04-11-2019, 08:42 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To be fair I cannot find any info that clearly associates the KS-2 with the onboard PDAF sensors. The K-70 and KP on the other hand do have these on the sensor.
Do we know for sure KP has PDAF on sensor? I know the K-70 does, but I recall somewhere that the K-70 and KP have different sensors. I've never seen anything authoritative that states KP uses a sensor with PDAF on it (even if PDAF on-sensor is not activated).