Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #1

Pink Sun

Hello, as title suggest - i`ve got problem with pinkish sun on my photos when directly pointing my KP towards sun Any suggestions ?

Attached Images

03-17-2019, 04:45 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This can happen if the lens does not have a good hood or a fullframe lens is used on an APS-C camera and pointed toward the sun. The blindingly bright light of the sun* is coming in through the lens, hitting a surface inside the mirrorbox and bouncing on to the sensor. (the vertical rather than diagonal smearing proves It's a mirrorbox reflection/scattering issue, not a simple lens flare.)

The only solution is a much better lens hood or to keep the sun well out of the frame.

*The sun is literally over 100,000 times as bright as anything else in the scene. Even the best high-tech black surfaces can't prevent some reflection of it.
03-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bizarr Quote
Hello, as title suggest - i`ve got problem with pinkish sun on my photos when directly pointing my KP towards sun Any suggestions ?
What lens? Any filters on the lens?
03-17-2019, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The most direct solution would be to get a bigger lens hood or use your hand to shield part of the sunlight. Otherwise, try adjusting the frame to reduce the visible flare, or use a lens with better flare tolerance (e.g. a prime instead of a zoom, a longer lens, HD instead of SMC coating, or a star lens with aerobright coating).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2019, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
This can happen if the lens does not have a good hood or a fullframe lens is used on an APS-C camera and pointed toward the sun. The blindingly bright light of the sun* is coming in through the lens, hitting a surface inside the mirrorbox and bouncing on to the sensor. (the vertical rather than diagonal smearing proves It's a mirrorbox reflection/scattering issue, not a simple lens flare.)

The only solution is a much better lens hood or to keep the sun well out of the frame.

*The sun is literally over 100,000 times as bright as anything else in the scene. Even the best high-tech black surfaces can't prevent some reflection of it.
Yeah, but i've had k20d and it never happened before even when i was directly pointing camera at the sun. I've had sun flares etc but not pink color that is ruining the picture. I have a7III also and this is not happening. Lens doesnt matter couse i used sigma 17-50, da70 2.4 ltd, fa50 1.7, da35 2.4 and have same results.

---------- Post added 03-17-19 at 05:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What lens? Any filters on the lens?
This picture was taken with sigma 17-50 2.8, no filters. I dont think it is connected with lens. Weird

---------- Post added 03-17-19 at 05:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The most direct solution would be to get a bigger lens hood or use your hand to shield part of the sunlight. Otherwise, try adjusting the frame to reduce the visible flare, or use a lens with better flare tolerance (e.g. a prime instead of a zoom, a longer lens, HD instead of SMC coating, or a star lens with aerobright coating).
I was using HD DA 70 2.4 ltd and it was occurring too.
03-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
IMGP1719 | Norbert Osiecki | Flickr there is even better example, you can download it in higher resolution. When you look closely you will see a pattern
Attached Images

03-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is this on the raw or only jpg?

03-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Are you using pixel shift?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2019, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Lens doesnt matter couse i used sigma 17-50, da70 2.4 ltd, fa50 1.7, da35 2.4 and have same results.

---------- Post added 03-17-19 at 05:33 PM ----------

This picture was taken with sigma 17-50 2.8, no filters. I dont think it is connected with lens. Weird

---------- Post added 03-17-19 at 05:38 PM ----------

I was using HD DA 70 2.4 ltd and it was occurring too.
Just to clarify: you get the same pink smear in the same location regardless of lens? If so, you may have damaged the sensor by leaving it pointing at the sun.

P.S. That weird pattern does look like damage to the CFA (color filter array) on the sensor,
03-17-2019, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is this on the raw or only jpg?
It is raw

---------- Post added 03-17-19 at 06:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you using pixel shift?
Nope, no pixel shift used

---------- Post added 03-17-19 at 06:10 PM ----------

Just to clarify: you get the same pink smear in the same location regardless of lens? If so, you may have damaged the sensor by leaving it pointing at the sun.

P.S. That weird pattern does look like damage to the CFA (color filter array) on the sensor,
Location doesnt matter, lens doesnt matter. It can happen in any spot in frame. Think sensor is working fine, no signs of any damage. Just this :S
03-18-2019, 07:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

It is raw

---------- Post added 03-17-19 at 06:05 PM ----------

Nope, no pixel shift used

---------- Post added 03-17-19 at 06:10 PM ----------

Location doesnt matter, lens doesnt matter. It can happen in any spot in frame. Think sensor is working fine, no signs of any damage. Just this :S
So you can get a pink sun flare on both the left and right sides of the frame as well as top, center, and bottom of the frame? (The two examples you posted seem to have the artifact in the same part of the sensor.)
03-18-2019, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

That looks like the most catastrophic sensor reflection I've ever seen. If you use the sensor clean function to lift the mirror...does everything look 'normal'? Nothing out of place?
03-18-2019, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
So you can get a pink sun flare on both the left and right sides of the frame as well as top, center, and bottom of the frame? (The two examples you posted seem to have the artifact in the same part of the sensor.)
Now left side. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not, but most often it happens when camera is in vertical position. IBIS failure ? Just guessing.

---------- Post added 03-18-19 at 12:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
That looks like the most catastrophic sensor reflection I've ever seen. If you use the sensor clean function to lift the mirror...does everything look 'normal'? Nothing out of place?
Nothing. Everything looks fine.
Attached Images

03-18-2019, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Now left side. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not, but most often it happens when camera is in vertical position. IBIS failure ? Just guessing.

Nothing. Everything looks fine.
Have you cleaned the lens? I slight film - such as a fingerprint - can cause that kind of effect
03-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you post a link to a raw?