Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #1

Pentax KP capture mode switch problem?

Hi All...

I have a Pentax KP that's only 4 months old, with minimal use so far, so I'm not familiar with all the cameras features. I went to take a few photos today, but the shutter release button would not allow me to take a photo. The capture mode switch was in the far left position, I moved the capture mode switch to the LV position and the shutter worked and everything looked fine. The mode dial was in AUTO selection.

The camera still won't take a picture in the viewfinder selection.

I'm a little gun shy when I purchased the KP, I had a K50 go black on me.

I did try to reset the setting to original, that didn't seem to change anything.

Thanks for any help....

03-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First time I’ve heard this fault on a KP.
Which lens?
Does the camera Autoffocus in VF Mode?
Does the camera AF in LV Mode?4r3904

Try this:
Turn the camera off.
Unmount and remount the lens.
Turn the camera on.
Try again.
03-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check to see if focus priority is on. It may have been unable to focus using optical pdaf enough to suit it.
03-23-2019, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
UncleVanya
I looked at the focus priority, it was on. I turned it off, all seems to be working.
I thought I might have turned a feature on that I hadn't intended to, maybe I didn't do the reset procedure correctly either.
Thank you for your help & Monochrome too.
I currently have an 18 to 135mm smc lens & the HD DA 35mm Macro limited. I'm thinking of a 70m for my next lens.....
Thanks again....

03-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Check to see if focus priority is on. It may have been unable to focus using optical pdaf enough to suit it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Chiefifd Quote
UncleVanya
I looked at the focus priority, it was on. I turned it off, all seems to be working.
I thought I might have turned a feature on that I hadn't intended to, maybe I didn't do the reset procedure correctly either.
I currently have an 18 to 135mm smc lens & the HD DA 35mm Macro limited. I'm thinking of a 70m for my next lens.....
Thanks again....
That was my next question . Happy it worked out. KP is a better camera than people give it credit for.
03-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

UncleVanya
Thanks again....
Camera's are too dang smart these days. Sometimes that gets in the way! Glad it was an easy fix.
03-24-2019, 03:32 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That was my next question . Happy it worked out. KP is a better camera than people give it credit for.
I have the feeling KP is having a 2nd life now that pricing is sweeter.
Another wave of buyers jumped in recently (including me) and immediately started appreciating this camera

03-29-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UncleVanya
Thanks again....
From what you are saying, focus priority was working the way it should. This is the default setting for any Pentax DSLR. It means the shutter will not fire unless good focus is achieved. The focus confirmation light will come on in the VF.

I don't recommend use of the green "AUTO" mode unless handing the camera to another novice person temporarily to take a photo with you in it. This mode disables many functions and availability of many adjustments. You can get fully automated exposure by the camera by using the "P" Program mode instead, without losing accessibility of control features of your camera, which is the main reason for owning such a full-featured, excellent-quality DSLR called the Pentax KP!

Use the half-press of the shutter button to get good focus before firing by completing the press of the shutter button. The half-press activates the focus mechanism, then be sure to not let up on the half press before completing your shutter release, unless you want to re-focus. You also have choice of the focus points and their number that will be in use. By default, the camera will automatically choose which focus points will be employed to focus on where it thinks you want it. Many of us prefer to set up the focus points to center-only single sensor, then use the above method to focus on any part of a scene (having a contrasting edge to grab onto) then while holding that focus we will reposition the camera in terms of the composition we are looking for, then complete the shot. Auto focus cannot focus on a blank wall, a clear sky area, or any such that has no clear contrasting elements. If it is set to focus priority, and focus is not completed, it will not fire. This is to prevent a blurry shot due to mis-focus.

I also recommend going into the Custom Image menus to implement "Fine Sharpening". Adjustments menus can be more quickly accessed via the info button. When this screen comes up, the 4 buttons around the "ok" button become navigational and also function as adjustment tools. But be sure to put the camera mode dial on "P" that first before you do anything. The Custom Image section will probably be the first one on this screen and you will already be on it. Hit the "ok" button to open the section. You will probably already be on the"Bright" category, which is the best one to have your camera set to for most shooting needs. It is in this category for now in which to make this adjustment. So hit the info button again to open its menu. Tab down to the Sharpening adjustment. The level by default in this "Bright" category is up by one notch. That is fine, so leave that alone. All you have to do is use your thumb dial to set an "F" by the "S" and you've done it. Then hit "ok" again taking you to the previous screen, then just turn the camera off. When you turn it back on the normal screen is restored. This adjustment will yield superior fine detail in your images.

Practice your focusing technique with the camera set back on focus priority. You don't want the shutter firing when you have less than good focus, unless you are looking for blurry pictures. Any auto focus mechanism needs some contrasting element, such as an edge, to grab onto. with the default full array of AF sensors active, and the camera set for it to make the AF selection, it might grab onto something in the frame other than where you want it to be focused. If you use the center-only spot focus, with the above technique, you will be in charge of where focus is trained on. AF mode should be AF-S. If used properly, your camera will work fine- very fine.

AF-C is AF Continuous, which is not focus priority, an advanced setting often used with the drive mode set for continuous burst shooting for fast-moving action, with multiple focus points activated, in the hopes that the AF will track a fast- moving subject that moves off center in the frame.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-30-2019 at 01:44 AM.
03-29-2019, 04:25 PM   #9

Original Poster
mikesbike:
Thanks for the pointers, I'm hoping to get much better with the KP. I'm definitely doing as you suggest and tune my techniques. I really haven't spent the appropriate time with my new KP.
Thanks again, & have a nice weekend...