Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2019, 03:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is it possible to disable the green button?

I am still familiarizing myself with my KP (coming from a K30). I use back button focus, and I'm almost always on TAV mode. I am still getting used to the positioning of the AE-L/AF button, and I occasionally push the green button instead, which messes up my shutter and aperture settings. When I noticed that this was happening, I figured "No problem, the buttons are all customizable, I'll just disable the green button". Well, I checked the menu, and it looks like the green button is just about the only button that can't be customized. Any suggestions?

(yes, I will eventually get used to the position of the AF button, and as long as I don't use my K30 ever again, I'll probably be fine )

04-18-2019, 04:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

All buttons cannot be customizable.

However, in TAv mode the green button can be disabled - Menu --> Button customization --> e-dial programming --> TAv mode
04-18-2019, 05:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote

However, in TAv mode the green button can be disabled - Menu --> Button customization --> e-dial programming --> TAv mode
Thanks so much. I thought I remembered seeing a way to program what the green button did, but I just couldn't remember where it was. I didn't think to look under e-dial programming.
04-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

;-)

no problem

04-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot mostly with the KP, but sometimes with my little K-S2, or sometimes with my larger, very robust K-5 or K-5 IIs. Each has the green button at a different location. It is very close to the dedicated AF button on the K-5's but the AF button has a different feel, whereas with the KP the AE-L/AF button is way up near the top edge of the camera back, while the green button is to the left of the thumb rest. The K-S2 has the green button up on top, used with the finger instead of the thumb. So I just have to acclimate myself to certain controls as I switch bodies. I guess I'm now so used to doing the switch I don't think about it.

I've had an old Lincoln Town Car for many years. I recently also acquired a 2016 Lincoln MKX SUV, which has a whole other design of controls and features. One example is the old sedan's shift handle being up under the steering wheel. Not the case with the newer design. So sometimes If I don't pay attention when starting up the newer one, I reach up to put it in gear and instead I turn on the windshield wipers!

But as I gain experience, I am doing that less often now.
05-07-2019, 07:46 AM   #6
Forum Member

If its any consolation to the OP, I also have this issue. I've moved from a K50 to the KP and on the K50 the green button is on the top plate. No doubt I'll get used to it. Its the only niggle I have with my KP and its really me that is at fault, not the camera!
05-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #7
Forum Member

@bigyinn k30-kp snap

11-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Brilliant,thanks for that,I was looking for this too
12-01-2019, 07:15 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me, the green button is essential for the Pentax Hyper System, which I often use. In "P" mode which I use in constantly changing lighting, I can instantly change either the shutter speed or the aperture to my preference just by using the e-dials to select what I want, which instantly switches operation to Av or Tv, then when the subject or conditions warrant I can just hit the green button to instantly switch back to full "P" mode. (Hyper Program)

When shooting in Manual mode, I can use the green button to instantly set a meter-centered exposure then go from there if I wish a different shutter speed or aperture. After hitting the green button, if I want a different aperture or shutter speed, I first hit the AE-L button to freeze exposure, then select the different aperture or shutter speed and the other will follow along, preserving the exposure value. Amazingly fast and efficient. It is also amazingly fast and efficient for taking spot meter readings around a scene in Manual mode as well. (Hyper Manual)
12-01-2019, 07:26 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Mikesbike. The green button is useful for a number of purposes and is part of the Pentax mystique Better to just adapt to the layout of the new camera.
12-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I agree with Mikesbike. The green button is useful for a number of purposes and is part of the Pentax mystique Better to just adapt to the layout of the new camera.
Agreed, by the same virtue you wouldn't adopt a Fuji system and then bemoan the the exposure triangle dials, because its the core of its functionality. Green button is Pentax's distinguishing UX feature, and without it you've got gimped functionality in several modes.
12-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
For me, the green button is essential for the Pentax Hyper System, which I often use. In "P" mode which I use in constantly changing lighting, I can instantly change either the shutter speed or the aperture to my preference just by using the e-dials to select what I want, which instantly switches operation to Av or Tv, then when the subject or conditions warrant I can just hit the green button to instantly switch back to full "P" mode. (Hyper Program)

When shooting in Manual mode, I can use the green button to instantly set a meter-centered exposure then go from there if I wish a different shutter speed or aperture. After hitting the green button, if I want a different aperture or shutter speed, I first hit the AE-L button to freeze exposure, then select the different aperture or shutter speed and the other will follow along, preserving the exposure value. Amazingly fast and efficient. It is also amazingly fast and efficient for taking spot meter readings around a scene in Manual mode as well. (Hyper Manual)
Can’t say I’ve ever needed to use P mode as I treat TaV as pseudo M and personally I found it useful to be able to disable the Green button in this mode.
12-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I am wandering that this is different somewhere else. You always need two "rollers" and one button to handle somehow with your exposure ...
06-07-2020, 05:17 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome, thank you ..
06-07-2020, 05:35 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigyinn Quote
If its any consolation to the OP, I also have this issue. I've moved from a K50 to the KP and on the K50 the green button is on the top plate. No doubt I'll get used to it. Its the only niggle I have with my KP and its really me that is at fault, not the camera!
I loved the features and menu on the KP and the only reason I sold it was the irritation from the green button/AE-L placement.

I've always used BBF and inadvertent green button touches were almost non-existent with my K-50. Same with my KS2's. Same with my K-70's. Even the same with my K1. But the KP? It screwed up so many shots I tended to leave it at home for photo shoots. It's the only Pentax camera I never made friends with.