Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2019, 09:32 PM - 5 Likes   #1

Now a new KP owner :)

I just got a KP body on a recent trip from Japan. Got it for about USD775.00. Tax-free, plus 5% discount for credit card payments.

For the past two years I've read about how it got the short end of both high and low end Pentax APSC bodies. But for the price I got it for, for my needs, I'd say it got the best of both.

I have a K-3 and a K-30, so not having the top LCD nor the bigger battery is nothing new to me. Neither having only one card slot is an issue for me. I'm not a pro, and also I haven't had a card failure since I've been a DSLR user (a Pentax *DS), back in 2007.

Taken with an 18-135. SOOC JPEG.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
05-04-2019, 04:56 AM - 7 Likes   #2

Photos: Albums
I am absolutely in love with my KP. I don’t listen to a word from the K3 owners who like to put it down. I think it is an awesome camera that takes fantastic photos.
The most fun I’ve had with photography recently is going out with only the KP and an old 50mm Pentax-M f2 lens. No “auto anything”. Full manual, the results are so satisfying.

05-04-2019, 06:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
I am absolutely in love with my KP. I don’t listen to a word from the K3 owners who like to put it down. I think it is an awesome camera that takes fantastic photos.
The most fun I’ve had with photography recently is going out with only the KP and an old 50mm Pentax-M f2 lens. No “auto anything”. Full manual, the results are so satisfying.
Thanks for the reply DeKay. Very nice photos :-).

Like I originally mentioned, I own a K3, and yet I still got the KP. I guess it's finding the right mix of features that work for you, for the right price.
05-04-2019, 06:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure us K-3 owners put it down. More a case of we need a slightly different feature set. The big thing being the 23 shot burst at 8 fps. If there wasn't a K-1 I would probably own one.

05-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’m a k3 owner, almost bought a kp a few times, it looks like a fantastic body!
05-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm besotted with my KP. It's a great camera
05-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My KP with the 11-18 is my go to travel camera for sure.
And the 20-40 ltd.

05-04-2019, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to one of the most-underrated cameras on the market. Looks like you got it for a decent price, too.

I had a hard time, in the beginning, making the transition from the K-5IIs. But then I started looking at the files the KP produced.

Now I own two.
05-04-2019, 07:55 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies :-).

Now I have 3 Pentax cameras, and not much time to use them all .
05-05-2019, 06:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's a great camera. Enjoy.
05-06-2019, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have and still use my K-5 and K-5 IIs. Since I always also have a smaller DSLR body, currently the K-S2, I am used to doing without the top LCD, though it is handy. So getting used to the KP was easy, and I found its own top controls system to offer unique and useful conveniences. Now the KP has become my most often-used body, and I likewise have two of them!

Congrats for finding such a great deal!

Image quality is excellent. JPEGs are exceptional right out of the camera. The KP's processor does a fantastic job. Just make sure to implement Fine Sharpening in the Custom Image menus. If you are like most of us, you'll like the KP even more with time and results! Nothing wrong with having different body styles. Each has something to offer depending on the situation and need.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-06-2019 at 09:10 AM.
05-08-2019, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I have and still use my K-5 and K-5 IIs. Since I always also have a smaller DSLR body, currently the K-S2, I am used to doing without the top LCD, though it is handy. So getting used to the KP was easy, and I found its own top controls system to offer unique and useful conveniences. Now the KP has become my most often-used body, and I likewise have two of them!

Congrats for finding such a great deal!

Image quality is excellent. JPEGs are exceptional right out of the camera. The KP's processor does a fantastic job. Just make sure to implement Fine Sharpening in the Custom Image menus. If you are like most of us, you'll like the KP even more with time and results! Nothing wrong with having different body styles. Each has something to offer depending on the situation and need.
Thank you .

I do use Natural image setting with Fine Sharpening up a notch for my other bodies. I keep reading about how better the KP JPEG is, but I haven't spent time yet with this body to 'fine tune' to my liking.

I gotta get out and shoot
05-10-2019, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #13

I also just purchased my KP and a bit intimidated by all its features. Do you know of any helpful tutorials on the KP?
05-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
I just got a KP body on a recent trip from Japan. Got it for about USD775.00. Tax-free, plus 5% discount for credit card payments.

For the past two years I've read about how it got the short end of both high and low end Pentax APSC bodies. But for the price I got it for, for my needs, I'd say it got the best of both.

I have a K-3 and a K-30, so not having the top LCD nor the bigger battery is nothing new to me. Neither having only one card slot is an issue for me. I'm not a pro, and also I haven't had a card failure since I've been a DSLR user (a Pentax *DS), back in 2007.

Taken with an 18-135. SOOC JPEG.
Love your image. I've often taken the time to set up a similar image, which then gets ignored. People don't understand what it takes to make a composition like that look good.
05-10-2019, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to the OP!
I was an early KP adopter and have had zero regrets.
Its looks, performance, handling, etc, are perfect for me.
Bird shooting with the 300* is what I use it for the most.