Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My KP focuses at least as well as my K-30 ever did.
I agree, the focusing for me with the KP is the best so far. Its metering overall seems better also. So is the upgraded 5 axis SR, making clear shots in low lighting with slower shutter speeds more possible. I love the controls for making quick changes. The availability of the battery grip is also a winner for some uses.

05-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Absolutely. It is likely you simply got used to gripping in a certain way, which is really not the best way anyhow. The best way for better stability with any model is to have most of the support from the left hand placed from underneath, with some fingers set to manipulate the lens, with the right hand mostly having the job of operating the controls, while only lightly gripping the camera.

Many of us spent years in bygone times shooting with compact 35mm manual-focus bodies having little or no grip

If you need more holding area, even more than your K30, go for the optional battery grip. It is definitely better for balance with larger, heavier lenses, especially when handling the camera other than when shooting. It also provides duplicate controls for extensive vertical shooting, and much, much longer battery life.
Mike, you are exactly right. That's what I do, even while shooting with my DA 200, and DA 300 lenses. When I started do that, I suddenly fell in love with my KP.

---------- Post added 05-22-19 at 01:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I would persevere with KP as well (I have one, bought in March, and I am getting used to small grip now).
There is also the D-BG7 grip that is an alternative

---------- Post added 05-19-2019 at 11:48 AM ----------

AF is what kept me away from K70, more than low light perf ; in any case K70 >> K30 on many aspects.
Forget the battery grip. I bought one, and don't even use it. Makes the KP too bulky.
05-23-2019, 01:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote

Forget the battery grip. I bought one, and don't even use it. Makes the KP too bulky.
Could you please elaborate on that?
Did you buy it primarily for better handling or autonomy?
I was thinking of buying one but can't find any retailer having it in stock where I live so hard to test it
05-23-2019, 01:55 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for you comments. It is interesting to hear about the comparisons with the K30/K70. I must say I am tempted by the K70 now as ergonomics are familiar. May I ask which @gatorguy which lenses you are using and what type of shoot you are with regards to k70 please? How is the articulating screen?

05-23-2019, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ubjy Quote
Thanks guys for you comments. It is interesting to hear about the comparisons with the K30/K70. I must say I am tempted by the K70 now as ergonomics are familiar. May I ask which @gatorguy which lenses you are using and what type of shoot you are with regards to k70 please? How is the articulating screen?
I've only used the articulating screen on the K70 a handful of times, rarely needed it outside of some macro stuff close to the ground but certainly appreciated having it. I haven't used the KP for that at all yet.

As for lenses I have them all listed in my signature, but the primaries have been the Sigma 17-50, DFA100WR, DA*50-135, DA*55, DA*200 and FA77. The rest are simply supporting cast. I do go thru stages where I'll carry the *300 on nature hikes for awhile but in general prefer the lighter and smaller 200.

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-25-2019 at 11:41 AM.
05-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I agree, the focusing for me with the KP is the best so far. Its metering overall seems better also. So is the upgraded 5 axis SR, making clear shots in low lighting with slower shutter speeds more possible. I love the controls for making quick changes. The availability of the battery grip is also a winner for some uses.
I should have mentioned that focusing is a team effort. In my case, I'm getting good focusing from the team which consists of the KP + 55-300 PLM lens and from the team which consists of the KP + 18-135mm team.
05-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks @gatorguy

@reh321 good to know the team members!!! Herd nothing bu praise for both those lenses. Were you tempted at all by the 16-85 da hd pentax? Supposed to have better IQ then the 18-135 or were in it for the reach? It is expensive...

05-27-2019, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

My impression is faster, more accurate AF with many of my lenses. For whatever reason, the DA 18-135mm lens I have found to deliver excellent AF in terms of being fast, quiet, and accurate regardless of the camera body- even on my older original K-5, which doesn't have the best reputation for AF, especially in artificial lighting, but with that lens performance is unaffected!

The KP, however, has been great for AF, even with those lenses having the old screw-driven system.

I have the same rear screen design as the K-70 with my K-S2. It can occasionally be very useful, and notably has the ability to completely reverse to take a selfie, even having a separate shutter release button for this purpose. With a wide angle lens, this can also be a 2-person selfie. The tilting rear screen of the KP has its own advantages, in that it does not add physical width when in use.

The use of the optional battery grip does of course add bulk and weight- a similar weight as the K-3 II without a battery grip. To use or not to use one is a very individual matter, so the good thing is its availability. The choice is there. In extreme circumstances, such as extensive sports or other ongoing action scenarios, where one would not want to be interrupted by a battery change, the KP with the added battery grip would actually be capable of providing longer battery life than the K-3 II without a battery grip, and at about the same carrying weight.

Some find having the battery grip installed more comfortable for just handling the camera with a large lens attached when not shooting. Others are still fine without. As for me, I can adjust easily either way, and can do just fine with only the smallest included grip regardless of the lens size. But ideally for me, I find the smallest included grip great for very compact to mid-compact lenses, while with semi-large lenses like a kit setup such as combining the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC and the Pentax DA*50-135mm f/2.8 SDM, in which case the largest included grip is ideal. Then for a larger lens yet, such as my FA* 300mm f/4.5 or larger, the battery grip comes out best. And I mean for handling when not shooting, or when shooting extensively in the vertical position. With proper holding in the normal shooting position, as I said, for me it does not really matter.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-27-2019 at 08:48 PM.
05-28-2019, 07:59 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Thanks @gatorguy

@reh321 good to know the team members!!! Herd nothing bu praise for both those lenses. Were you tempted at all by the 16-85 da hd pentax? Supposed to have better IQ then the 18-135 or were in it for the reach? It is expensive...
With the 1.4X TC semi-permanently attached to the 55-300 PLM, effectively creating a 77-420mm lens, either the 18-135mm or 16-85mm can provide what I need. Since I've been satisfied with the former, I have a hard time justifying expense of the latter.
05-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

With the 1.4X TC semi-permanently attached to the 55-300 PLM, effectively creating a 77-420mm lens, either the 18-135mm or 16-85mm can provide what I need. Since I've been satisfied with the former, I have a hard time justifying expense of the latter.
@reh321 I assume no focus speed issues in actual practice by adding the TC to the speedy 55-300PLM?
05-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
@reh321 I assume no focus speed issues in actual practice by adding the TC to the speedy 55-300PLM?
My wife and I spent the past three day weekend, U.S. Memorial Day long weekend, in Canada, at Point Pelee NP. We had 1-1/2 lovely sunny days and a lousy rainish day there. The camera + lens combination did focus on every subject i was able to get into the viewfinder ..... sometimes it felt a tad sluggish, but I'm not sure if that was 'for real' or just my impatience at getting a photo of a bird I rarely see {sometimes the "little yellow birds" land for just a second or two}.

added: I've added a 100% crop of the first photo.
I took all photos using TAv mode; my recollection is that this was a shady glade.

You can see from EXIF that shutter-speed=1/1000, aperture=f/9.5. ISO=4500
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by reh321; 05-28-2019 at 09:49 AM.
05-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife and I spent the past three day weekend, U.S. Memorial Day long weekend, in Canada, at Point Pelee NP. We had 1-1/2 lovely sunny days and a lousy rainish day there. The camera + lens combination did focus on every subject i was able to get into the viewfinder ..... sometimes it felt a tad sluggish, but I'm not sure if that was 'for real' or just my impatience at getting a photo of a bird I rarely see {sometimes the "little yellow birds" land for just a second or two}.
I got a shot of that same yellow bird a few months ago here in Florida. Well maybe not that EXACT bird.
Do you know what it is? It certainly was not an easy capture as it liked to hide under foliage for the most part, rarely exposing itself.
05-28-2019, 09:41 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I got a shot of that same yellow bird a few months ago here in Florida. Well maybe not that EXACT bird.
Do you know what it is? It certainly was not an easy capture as it liked to hide under foliage for the most part, rarely exposing itself.
My wife is the birder.
She says it is a Yellow Warbler.
All the warblers are hard to photograph because they eat mosquitoes, and seldom sit in a spot for more than a few seconds.

added: ISO for the two beach photos was 560; ISO for the Yellow Warbler photo was 4500.
I don't know exactly what EV value that means, but one of my concerns was focusing in conditions less than ideal - I feel that the combination 'passed'.

Last edited by reh321; 05-28-2019 at 10:07 AM.
05-28-2019, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #29

Hi all

I've upgradedfrom K-30 to KP, due to the former having focusing issues - leading to about50% of the shots out of focus- I did not feel repairing such a old model wouldbe worth my while. I did not want to change systems so, with 'Pentax faith'upgraded. I understood the ergonomics are very different prior to purchasing.

I hadbeen able to take over 20K shots with the K-30 without difficulty in the ergonomicsense is with small prime lenses. With the KP, ever with small lens I finddespite using various grip sizes my hands cramp after a few minutes.

I haveread people are able to adapt, accommodate and get used the different formfactor.

Myquestions is, is it just a case of getting used to or did it require adifferent grip/ technique? How long did it take?

Thecamera is still new out the box and I am considering sending it back in favourof one of the newer mirrorless options.

Thanksfor your advice, guidance and help. I have always found this forum and itsmembers to really help
I added a KP at Christmas to my collection of Pentax cameras. As someone that regards the K-7,K-5, K-3 cameras as having ergonomics as near to perfect as possible, I found the KP surprisingly easy to get used to. I generally use the medium grip which makes the camera a little harder to hang on to then say my K-5 or K-3, though the large grip does help in that regard. Though I suspect people with large hands might find the KP uncomfortable to use. Unless that is the case you should adapt to the KP's differences after a week or two of use. I enjoy mine more than I thought I would.
05-29-2019, 06:11 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks again everyone. I've taken on board all of your expert advise and been shooting with the camera. It is definitely an upgrade to the K30 in terms of functions. I have to be honest ever with my primes I don't see much difference in IQ, perhaps this is because I am viewing the images on a 4k screen. AF- with the 50mm 1.8 is a bit hit and miss with young kids, especially in doors. I am not sure I had used the flipping screen much yet, I am sure situations will present themselves. The ergonomics are growing on me. Is there any way to change the back button focusing to another bottom, finding the placement a little awkward.