Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Used KP - What should I be checking?

I should be receiving tomorrow/Monday (5/20) a used KP that I got at a great price. The great price is because the exterior is pretty banged up as shown in the pictures. It does come with a dealer warranty that confirms it is "fully operational."

I've used a K-x > K-30 > K-3 for years, so I know my way around the Pentax system, but is there anything beyond the usual I should check to make sure it's "fully operational"?
Thanks!

05-19-2019, 04:13 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the exterior is showing signs of being bumped then I would be checking whether focus is good, whether the mirror functions as it should, any signs of cracks in the housing or any sign of damage to the LCD screen.
I could not see any pictures with your post?
05-19-2019, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
...and don't forget the flash and wi-fi.
05-19-2019, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure the Pixel Shift renders properly.

05-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would also check the photo exif data for the KP as it is only built for 100,000 exposures. If it has 20,000 or more, then it had a lot of use--the exterior would only be one factor in that level of use.
05-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would be very suspicious when damage, not wear is shown on the surface. Cameras in the present age are very complex electronic instruments. Any number of hidden malfunctions could be the result of being subjected to extreme trauma- like being in a car wreck for instance.

You might soon find a pristine used KP for not all that much more money.
05-19-2019, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll get the camera tomorrow. It was advertised as having only ~3000 shutter actuations, but I'll check that. Thanks for the other suggestions. Here's the pic I have that shows the top scuffed up. The bottom is also worn a bit.

I'll hope for the best, but I'll fall back on the warranty if necessary. Thanks again. I'll report back after I get and test it.

05-19-2019, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
I'll get the camera tomorrow. It was advertised as having only ~3000 shutter actuations, but I'll check that. Thanks for the other suggestions. Here's the pic I have that shows the top scuffed up. The bottom is also worn a bit.

I'll hope for the best, but I'll fall back on the warranty if necessary. Thanks again. I'll report back after I get and test it.
It will probably be OK. Those scuff marks are most likely just superficial damage - We hope anyway!
05-19-2019, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Check for smooth lens on and off. Check back focus and FF.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
05-20-2019, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that silver finish is probably more subject to scuffs than black one.
05-20-2019, 08:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I received the camera today, and I ran every test I could think of and the ones you all mentioned. Camera works perfectly with both a DA 16-85mm and an old A 50mm f1.7. Wifi works (though I suspect the clunkiness of the app is not the camera's fault). Screen is in excellent condition. Only 2990 shutter actuations. Pixel mapping fine. Sensor and mirror and viewfinder are clean. Pics come out great with proper metering. LiveView is good. Video fine. Flash works.

BUT...
It's apparent that the body fell in some dirt at some point. That need not be an issue for a WR body. The body is scuffed on the top and bottom. (As @fsge noted, the silver does scuff more easily) Nothing terrible though. The concern I have: You can see in the pic that there is a small crack in the housing around the screw just below the mode dial. It's not entirely cracked, and the piece is in no danger of falling off that I can tell.

Clearly not a good thing, and it was not mentioned in the ad. It was listed as 70-79% with "major cosmetic blemishes," but a crack seems like more than a blemish.
So, do I keep it?

• I purchased it from a reputable online dealer (not B&H or Adorama or KEH, but one you'd recognize)
  • It comes with a 1-year warranty
  • I paid $460 total for it. (Only came, as advertised, with body, body cap, a 3rd party battery, and the charger)
I've been watching used prices, and that price and the warranty is a really good deal.
What would you do? Thanks!
05-20-2019, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

did you buy from usedphotopro.com or RobertsCamera?

If so their customer service is very good. Send this pic to them they will probably compensate some $$ for you.
05-20-2019, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everyone has their own tolerance level for things like this. Personally I'd rather pay in the 600's for a mint one, but I'm very picky about gear.

A couple of other considerations though.
1. I'd be slightly concerned about the weather sealing gasket under that crack and whether it is compromised.

2. Looks like it only came with the small grip. That's fine, but you may find you want the medium or large grip for bigger lenses. Those run about $40 each.
05-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, it was usedphotopro. I'll write them.
And yes, it's the weather sealing I'm concerned about.
And yes, I knew that it only came with the small grip. I was hoping that would be fine, but I can quickly tell that I'd prefer to have the middle size one.
05-20-2019, 10:22 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Agree, that's beyond "major cosmetic blemishes” to me too. The crack could compromise the weather seal feature of the camera. I don’t know / we don’t know what cause the crack. First of all, the seller should have been more upfront to you. It is very important to show that photo knowing that the camera is advertised as a sealed body by Pentax, therefore, most people buying Pentax because they want to use WR feature.

I don’t have a KP, and I wonder if that part is a plastic or metal? Judging from the price you pay and ask yourself, would you buy it if you had seen a photo of the crack beforehand?

To me, if It is a plastic, I would keep it. [Keep in mind, my tolerance level is very high for second-hand goods.] I would just put a tape on and be happy with it.

If it is a metal part, I will definitely return it. Anything hit a camera hard enough to crack the metal part must not be good. I had a lens hit by a falling beer glass. It looks ok, not even a scratch but after a few more use, and the front part of the lens miss-placed during autofocus. The guy at a repair store said gears inside fell apart / broken.