Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2019, 11:11 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
I received the camera today, and I ran every test I could think of and the ones you all mentioned. Camera works perfectly with both a DA 16-85mm and an old A 50mm f1.7. Wifi works (though I suspect the clunkiness of the app is not the camera's fault). Screen is in excellent condition. Only 2990 shutter actuations. Pixel mapping fine. Sensor and mirror and viewfinder are clean. Pics come out great with proper metering. LiveView is good. Video fine. Flash works.

BUT...
It's apparent that the body fell in some dirt at some point. That need not be an issue for a WR body. The body is scuffed on the top and bottom. (As @fsge noted, the silver does scuff more easily) Nothing terrible though. The concern I have: You can see in the pic that there is a small crack in the housing around the screw just below the mode dial. It's not entirely cracked, and the piece is in no danger of falling off that I can tell.

Clearly not a good thing, and it was not mentioned in the ad. It was listed as 70-79% with "major cosmetic blemishes," but a crack seems like more than a blemish.
So, do I keep it?

• I purchased it from a reputable online dealer (not B&H or Adorama or KEH, but one you'd recognize)
  • It comes with a 1-year warranty
  • I paid $460 total for it. (Only came, as advertised, with body, body cap, a 3rd party battery, and the charger)
I've been watching used prices, and that price and the warranty is a really good deal.
What would you do? Thanks!
This part should be plastic. Anyway, this potentially is a high risk not only for the body but also for the lens, you are also loosing WR features ... I would never use a camera with this damage.

And I would expect that it is written in the user guide that the users should avoid using a camera with this damage.

05-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hmm... just heard from UsedPhotoPro. For an item in "Good" condition, they say the crack is acceptable.

They will accept a return, but I'm trying to determine if the warranty will hold.
Thanks again for the input. (BTW, I did check the KP manual, and I can't find anything about the weather-resistant features or what constitutes damage.)
05-21-2019, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think a crack is a very different thing to scuffs and scratches. Weather sealing will be gone - I'd return it for a refund.
05-21-2019, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hmm... just heard from UsedPhotoPro. For an item in "Good" condition, they say the crack is acceptable.

They will accept a return, but I'm trying to determine if the warranty will hold.
Thanks again for the input. (BTW, I did check the KP manual, and I can't find anything about the weather-resistant features or what constitutes damage.)
Hmm just looked at their website and "good" condition is only two steps above "inoperable". I wouldn't like to see a "fair" condition camera.

05-21-2019, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would always go with Very Good and above. I bought a Tamron 70-200 F2.8 in Very good condition, I found a small screw missing near to the hood mount area, I took a pic and sent it back to them, they refunded 10%. The lens is pretty sharp, I have taken my son's school concert shots and they have turned out pretty good.

Good = you take a chance!!
05-21-2019, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
(BTW, I did check the KP manual, and I can't find anything about the weather-resistant features or what constitutes damage.)
Features2 | PENTAX KP | RICOH IMAGING
look under "Dustproof, weather-resistant construction"

I guess it is only good enough for marketing and advertising but they won't dare put it in the manual. However, it is a widely know advertising campaign for Pentax.

If the store said crack is acceptable for "good" condition then they should show the cracked area image up front so people can make the right decision before buy
05-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

That camera has obviously been through more than too much abuse, and having such a low shutter count makes it even more suspect. In addition to possible compromised WR, that and other resultant damage could show up after some months down the road. It is like finding a really good deal on a used car with a lot of abnormal physical damage for a recent model year. Makes one think it has been through some catastrophe or another.

I am reasonably sure any warranty would be negated when damage of this sort comes into the picture. None of those gouges and nics are wear marks, let alone the crack.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-22-2019 at 11:42 AM.
05-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I received the camera today, and I ran every test I could think of and the ones you all mentioned. Camera works perfectly with both a DA 16-85mm and an old A 50mm f1.7. Wifi works (though I suspect the clunkiness of the app is not the camera's fault). Screen is in excellent condition. Only 2990 shutter actuations. Pixel mapping fine. Sensor and mirror and viewfinder are clean. Pics come out great with proper metering. LiveView is good. Video fine. Flash works.

BUT...
It's apparent that the body fell in some dirt at some point. That need not be an issue for a WR body. The body is scuffed on the top and bottom. (As @fsge noted, the silver does scuff more easily) Nothing terrible though. The concern I have: You can see in the pic that there is a small crack in the housing around the screw just below the mode dial. It's not entirely cracked, and the piece is in no danger of falling off that I can tell.

Clearly not a good thing, and it was not mentioned in the ad. It was listed as 70-79% with "major cosmetic blemishes," but a crack seems like more than a blemish.
So, do I keep it?

• I purchased it from a reputable online dealer (not B&H or Adorama or KEH, but one you'd recognize)
  • It comes with a 1-year warranty
  • I paid $460 total for it. (Only came, as advertised, with body, body cap, a 3rd party battery, and the charger)
I've been watching used prices, and that price and the warranty is a really good deal.
What would you do? Thanks!
I would send it back. Someone has had that screw out, and overnighted it when putting it back in. There's just too many good deals on KPs in beautiful condition. For me, that's part of the pleasure of having a nice camera.
06-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
To bring this thread to its conclusion...
I was willing to take a chance on the KP if indeed the one-year warranty would be honored. I contacted UsedPhotoPro, and they said I would have to check with MackCam which handles the warranty service. (I was puzzled by this, because UPP should be able to say it has the warranty as advertised or not.) I emailed MackCam, waited 4 days but never heard back from them. On their site, it says that warranties are voided by "damage." The crack certainly looked like damage to me, so I figure I would lose on any warranty claim. UPP was perfectly gracious about authorizing the return and sending the return UPS label. I'm supposed to get full refund.

In case anyone else is googling, the serial on the KP was 7302813. It may be perfectly fine and work well for years, but I decided it wasn't worth the chance, especially because I wanted it specifically as my weather resistant kit.
Thanks to all who chimed in...
06-06-2019, 01:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

To bring this thread to its conclusion...
I was willing to take a chance on the KP if indeed the one-year warranty would be honored. I contacted UsedPhotoPro, and they said I would have to check with MackCam which handles the warranty service. (I was puzzled by this, because UPP should be able to say it has the warranty as advertised or not.) I emailed MackCam, waited 4 days but never heard back from them. On their site, it says that warranties are voided by "damage." The crack certainly looked like damage to me, so I figure I would lose on any warranty claim. UPP was perfectly gracious about authorizing the return and sending the return UPS label. I'm supposed to get full refund.

In case anyone else is googling, the serial on the KP was 7302813. It may be perfectly fine and work well for years, but I decided it wasn't worth the chance, especially because I wanted it specifically as my weather resistant kit.
Thanks to all who chimed in...
Thank you for letting us know the end of story ; most of us would have done the same.
I hope you wont give up on the KP because of that and chase a better condition copy soon!