Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2019, 11:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Lens noise on KP?

Hello. I'm the new owner of a KP and 31mm f1.8 and also completely new to this forum. I'm still trying to find my way around the menus and customisation.

I have a quick question: On switching on, the lens makes quite a lot of noise. It's a burst of 5 whirring sounds. I can see that the iris closes and reopens. It doesn't disturb me much but it is quite loud and I was wondering if this is particular to this lens or whether all Pentax lenses do this on startup. Performance is otherwise perfect and this noise only happens at startup.

Many thanks

05-21-2019, 11:59 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello & welcome

I've moved your post to a new thread, as it'll have greater visibility and you're likely to get more answers.

I'm afraid I can't help directly as I own neither the KP or the FA31/1.8, but I'm sure one or more of our members will be able to assist!
05-22-2019, 12:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hello & welcome

I've moved your post to a new thread, as it'll have greater visibility and you're likely to get more answers.

I'm afraid I can't help directly as I own neither the KP or the FA31/1.8, but I'm sure one or more of our members will be able to assist!
Many thanks!
05-22-2019, 01:04 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I am also a KP user, but I don't have any problem with lenses. I guess you probably set something incorrectly. If you post a video or particular photos here would be very helpful.

05-22-2019, 02:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just a possibility, is it sensor cleaning on start up? I wouldn't describe it as whirring. If you take the lens off and turn the camera on and hear it that would be it though.
05-22-2019, 03:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies so far. Attached is a recording of the noise.
05-22-2019, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry, wrong format, now as .avi

Attached Files
File Type: avi KP and 31mm.avi (43.0 KB, 87 views)
05-22-2019, 03:32 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vdubois Quote
Sorry, wrong format, now as .avi
It's the sensor trying to shake any dust off itself - neat trick, hey?
05-22-2019, 03:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's the sensor trying to shake any dust off itself - neat trick, hey?
No, this is definitely from the lens which only does it once at startup. I think it is probably the way this lens works in combination with the KP. The noise seems to be when the iris closes then re-opens. To add to the discussion, this is what the supplier writes:

"I believe this to be a normal occurrence withthe KP there are lots of online forums suggesting that this is common but doesnot affect the performance or quality of the lens/images."

Indeed the quality of the images does not seem to be affected.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
05-22-2019, 03:52 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

No, this is definitely from the lens which only does it once at startup. I think it is probably the way this lens works in combination with the KP. The noise seems to be when the iris closes then re-opens. To add to the discussion, this is what the supplier writes:

"I believe this to be a normal occurrence withthe KP there are lots of online forums suggesting that this is common but doesnot affect the performance or quality of the lens/images."

Indeed the quality of the images does not seem to be affected.
Do this - take the lens off and put the body cap on. Still makes the sound?

05-22-2019, 04:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Do this - take the lens off and put the body cap on. Still makes the sound?
Haha, I did this and yes there is a very quiet little squeak from the sensor but that is not the noise I'm referring to.
05-22-2019, 04:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is the sensor shake. I just did it with my KP, with both the FA31 mounted and unmounted. It is the same sound - just amplified with the lens mounted. I imagine the lens barrel is acting like a loudspeaker box.

Do it while holding the lens barrel firmly in your hand and you can feel the sensor array shaking, not the lens.
05-22-2019, 04:30 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It is the sensor shake. I just did it with my KP, with both the FA31 mounted and unmounted. It is the same sound - just amplified with the lens mounted. I imagine the lens barrel is acting like a loudspeaker box.

Do it while holding the lens barrel firmly in your hand and you can feel the sensor array shaking, not the lens.
But I can see the iris closing and opening and I think that is what makes the noise which is quite loud and unambiguous. Have tried holding the lens and same noise. Does the iris move on your 31?
05-22-2019, 04:39 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the iris move on your 31?
No. I just tried with the lens set to "A" and again set to f/1.8

....and now repeated with the following lenses:
DA*11-18
DFA28-105
DA*55
FA77
DA55-300PLM

Same sound every time. Some louder than others - presumably because of different material and mass of glass.
05-22-2019, 04:42 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interestingly, there is also a tiny squeak just afterwards, which I think is the actual sensor shake. That squeak also happens at shutdown, but the louder sound does not.

By the way, the DA55-300PLM is a KAF4 lens of course, so there is no physical aperture coupling. The noise still happens.