Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2019, 04:43 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have Dust Removal set to happen at both Startup and Shutdown, Vdubois.

Take the ticks out of both boxes in the menu and you won't hear it anymore!

05-22-2019, 04:44 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whatever it is, it is normal, and not peculiar to the FA31.
05-22-2019, 04:47 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So it is the screw drive activated? Same sound as when you focus? I assume manually turning the focus doesn't make the noise
05-22-2019, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Take the ticks out of both boxes in the menu and you won't hear it anymore!
The problem with that Ian, is that it is not true. The sound is still there with dust removal deactivated.

I just worked out what it is! With no lens mounted, if you look into the mount during startup you will notice a very small movement of the aperture coupler. I can't imagine it would be enough to move the iris (I certainly can't see anything), but the movement coincides perfectly with the sound.

05-22-2019, 04:54 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
So it is the screw drive activated? Same sound as when you focus? I assume manually turning the focus doesn't make the noise
Thanks everyone

So what I think: On power on, the shake reduction system vibrates the sensor to clear the dust (user selectable). This creates a very low pitch of a very short duration; on my KP almost inaudible. The lens gear motor then engages, closes the iris, opens it and then the camera is ready for use. It seems that this is common to all lenses. My copy is perhaps unusually loud.

I've made a note to ignore it from now
05-22-2019, 04:55 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For what it's worth, the K-1 makes a similar (but smaller) movement of the aperture coupler, and the associated noise is much quieter.
05-22-2019, 04:56 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The problem with that Ian, is that it is not true. The sound is still there with dust removal deactivated.

I just worked out what it is! With no lens mounted, if you look into the mount during startup you will notice a very small movement of the aperture coupler. I can't imagine it would be enough to move the iris (I certainly can't see anything), but the movement coincides perfectly with the sound.
Yayyy, phew, I thought I was hearing things and at my age that is not a good sign! haha

05-22-2019, 05:08 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking again, there is in fact a brief partial closing of the aperture with all but the KAF4 lens. My apologies for not noticing it before. It does of course not happen with the KAF4 lens.

But the sound does occur with the KAF4 lens, and also with no lens mounted, so I'd say it must be due to the motor driving the camera's aperture coupler, not the movement of the lens iris.
05-22-2019, 05:13 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, there you go, that's very interesting, gents!

05-22-2019, 05:44 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Iris moving video attached
05-22-2019, 06:04 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I suppose when turned on the screw drive engages the lens slightly past and backs off. Probably a tolerance variation between cameras not worth a micro adjustment like with lenses af.
05-22-2019, 06:09 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vdubois Quote
Iris moving video attached
Wow. That is a MUCH bigger iris movement, and more prolonged sound, than my KP/FA31 combination.
05-22-2019, 06:52 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Wow. That is a MUCH bigger iris movement, and more prolonged sound, than my KP/FA31 combination.
Maybe because it is a relatively old style lens? From what I've read, 2001? In terms of technology a definite dinosaur (which is why I chose it as some of the newer lenses are a little too clinical for my taste). Also, my copy is silver and perhaps that makes a difference as well?
05-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #29
Veteran Member

There may be a combination of noises working here. I just did a little test and I am convinced the noise in question is very normal. I do not have the FA 31mm Limited, but I do have a Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG, which, like the Pentax FA 31mm LTD, uses the camera's screw-driven AF and also has an aperture ring.

The aperture, of course, is held open with a lever on the lens's rear for viewing through the VF, and will retract to allow the lens to close aperture to the selected f/stop when the shutter fires. When I mount my Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 DC WR lens there is not the same noise upon powering up the camera (virtually none) as is the case with the Sigma lens, which is a different story. When I change to this Sigma lens, then turn on the camera, there is a slight noise apparently as the camera's screw-driven AF is engaged, and I also notice a slight simultaneous movement of the aperture (iris) as I look down through the lens. The noise is virtually the same as the AF makes when making a very slight adjustment in focus with this lens.

I just did the same test with the FA 43mm f/1.9 LTD- the sibling of the FA 31mm. Same result, but a bit quieter than the Sigma lens, perhaps because of the difference in lens size. Both the Sigma and the FA 31mm are larger, having more massive AF mechanisms. But if Sandy says your combo is more pronounced than his, that difference is anybody's guess.

BTW, if you like shooting jpegs right out of the camera, the KP is exceptionally good for this. Just be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, especially in the "Bright" category which is best for most shooting needs, if you have not already done so. If you need assistance in doing this I'd be happy to walk you through.

You have a superb lens and a superb camera- I'm sure with them you will have a lot of pleasure ahead! Congrats in finding a vintage FA 31mm in silver! My two FA LTDs, the 43 and 77mm are vintage Japanese made. I got both years ago at much lower price and a $100 rebate on top of that, so I bought each in black and in silver to have backups.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-22-2019 at 12:48 PM.
05-23-2019, 12:14 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
There may be a combination of noises working here. I just did a little test and I am convinced the noise in question is very normal. I do not have the FA 31mm Limited, but I do have a Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG, which, like the Pentax FA 31mm LTD, uses the camera's screw-driven AF and also has an aperture ring.

The aperture, of course, is held open with a lever on the lens's rear for viewing through the VF, and will retract to allow the lens to close aperture to the selected f/stop when the shutter fires. When I mount my Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 DC WR lens there is not the same noise upon powering up the camera (virtually none) as is the case with the Sigma lens, which is a different story. When I change to this Sigma lens, then turn on the camera, there is a slight noise apparently as the camera's screw-driven AF is engaged, and I also notice a slight simultaneous movement of the aperture (iris) as I look down through the lens. The noise is virtually the same as the AF makes when making a very slight adjustment in focus with this lens.

I just did the same test with the FA 43mm f/1.9 LTD- the sibling of the FA 31mm. Same result, but a bit quieter than the Sigma lens, perhaps because of the difference in lens size. Both the Sigma and the FA 31mm are larger, having more massive AF mechanisms. But if Sandy says your combo is more pronounced than his, that difference is anybody's guess.

BTW, if you like shooting jpegs right out of the camera, the KP is exceptionally good for this. Just be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, especially in the "Bright" category which is best for most shooting needs, if you have not already done so. If you need assistance in doing this I'd be happy to walk you through.

You have a superb lens and a superb camera- I'm sure with them you will have a lot of pleasure ahead! Congrats in finding a vintage FA 31mm in silver! My two FA LTDs, the 43 and 77mm are vintage Japanese made. I got both years ago at much lower price and a $100 rebate on top of that, so I bought each in black and in silver to have backups.
Thanks Mikesbike. Yes I was very lucky to find this lens in mint condition and for half the price of a new one. I'm partial to older lenses which seem to render in a way that some modern lenses cannot.

I do like to use jpegs when I can and as this camera is mainly intended as a supplement to my other system (Hasselblad x1D) for street and portraiture and poor light, jpegs will mostly be quite sufficient so I'd love to get some pointers from you. So far I've not opened a page of the manual but just trying to get accustomed to the feel of the camera and the rendering of the lens. The additional dials and multitude of custom settings is a little overwhelming but no doubt I'll slowly get there. I found in the past that it can take months before being able to "read and write" with a new camera.

From the little I've experienced, I'm finding the colours great and they also convert well to B&W (with a rather attractive grainy-ness) which I often use for portraits. The type of work that very much interests me is people at their jobs and here are a couple of examples. As you can see, lighting can be a challenge. (These are taken with Nikon and Fuji resp). These are the types of scenes I'm intending to use the KP for.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D3S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-T2  Photo 

Last edited by vdubois; 05-23-2019 at 12:27 AM. Reason: .