Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

K30->kp

I'm looking at new cameras. I don't need to get one but I've been using the K30 for years now. I overcame the aperture failure by opening it up and soldering and messing with the magnet (solution found on the forums). It still works and when I put it back together it wasn't the best job ever.

I'm wondering how good the KP is. If I upgrade if I should get a KP or try for something like a K3 or K3II.

06-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You will especially love the superior low noise with higher ISO performance of the KP, while doing an excellent job of preserving fine detail. There are many upgrades, such as its 5-axis SR, along with the tilting rear screen and great magnesium alloy construction. I have found metering and image quality to be exceptional, even JPEGs right out of the camera, in which case be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, at least in the most often used "Bright" category.
06-01-2019, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded from a K-S2 to a Kp and the leap is massive.
Is noticeable better at autofocus, build, shake reduction, burst rate and incredible high ISO capability.

Absolutely love the 3rd wheel, use it for ISO control.
06-01-2019, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a K-30 and K-50 and bought a KP, The KP is fantastic. Nearly everything about it is an improvement, the low light capability is very noticeable. I really like the moving screen as opposed to a fixed screen, more than I expected. The only negative is that it doesn't use a wireless remote, but I've got used to that by using the delay or even a cheap wired remote. I wish it had a GPS, but that's not a deal breaker either. I've not complained about the K-30 autofocus, but the KP seems much faster. I also bought the 55-300 PLM lens which is a perfect match with the KP for fast autofocus.

06-21-2019, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

I went from a K50 to a KP, mainly because I fancied a KP and there was a great deal on.
It took me a little while to get used to it and I'm still gettting the hang of it. But I'm very happy with the focusing and exposure side of things. It seems to get more things right more of the time.
06-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went from a K-30 to a KP on Black Friday. The only weakness I've found is {literally} the top piece that holds the useless OnBoard Flash. Apparently I bumped it sometime Saturday - not enough for me to notice but enough to crack the Plastic {and now I am missing a small piece}, I took about twenty-five very pleasing photos with it after I noticed the 'damage', though.
06-21-2019, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I went from a K-50 to a KP and have been amazed by many improvements over the K-50, (K-30s bigger twin brother.) Better dust removal, better high ISO performance, quieter shutter, tilt screen, faster electronic shutter, no AA filter!, perfect with Limiteds as is, still great with long lenses, especially with the battery grip, (NA for K-50.)

06-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The only weakness I've found is {literally} the top piece that holds the useless OnBoard Flash. Apparently I bumped it sometime Saturday - not enough for me to notice but enough to crack the Plastic {and now I am missing a small piece}, I took about twenty-five very pleasing photos with it after I noticed the 'damage', though.
Well, here it is after several liberal applications of "Gorilla Glue". I accidentally got enough glue between the piece that raises and the fixed piece that everything is fixed now, but I never had any plans to use the OnBoard Flash. The triangular piece is the one that was completely separate - but I managed to save it in my camera bag through a day of touristing. Everything is stable and feels solid now, and there aren't any sharp edges to snag my bag or clothing - most important, everything {except the flash} still works.
Attached Images

Last edited by reh321; 07-07-2019 at 02:18 PM. Reason: fix word choice
07-04-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went from K-30 to K-3 and enjoyed the bump up in performance, both in terms of ISO/low light and overall resolution. I have now gone from the K-3 to the KP. The main things I like are: even better ISO/low light, resolution, smaller/lighter, tilting screen.
07-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, here it is after several liberal applications of "Gorilla Glue". I accidentally got enough glue between the piece that raises and the fixed piece that everything is fixed now, but I never had any plans to use the OnBoard Flash. The triangular piece is the one that was completely separate - but I managed to save it in my camera bag through a day of touristing. Everything is stable and feels solid now, and there aren't any sharp edges to snap my bag or clothing - most important, everything {except the flash} still works.
What did you whack it against?
07-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What did you whack it against?
That is a mystery. I had it in my bag, touristing around Cincinnati, and I had trouble getting it out of the bag ..... damaged area was catching on the bag. I must have hit something, but I just don't know. I had carried my K-30 in that bag for over a year without any 'excitement'.
Attached Images

07-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is a mystery. I had it in my bag, touristing around Cincinnati, and I had trouble getting it out of the bag ..... damaged area was catching on the bag. I must have hit something, but I just don't know. I had carried my K-30 in that bag for over a year without any 'excitement'.
Ouch! And looks like a reasonably padded bag too. Very odd.
07-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ouch! And looks like a reasonably padded bag too. Very odd.
Important thing is that this is essentially cosmetic damage {since I never planned to use the OBF}. I am still getting great results from "insanely high" ISO values.
07-07-2019, 05:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Important thing is that this is essentially cosmetic damage {since I never planned to use the OBF}. I am still getting great results from "insanely high" ISO values.
May be so, but it must have been something hard and quite a whack to get that to happen. Odd.
07-07-2019, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #15

The main thing I prefer about the KP vs the K-50 I had previously is the on-body controls, which are just fantastic. Once you get the hang of it, you can make a complex series of settings changes quickly without diving into the menus.

Also it has Ricoh's edge peaking (from the GR cameras) which is fantastic, particularly when composing a difficult subject when focusing manually.

Oh and the articulating screen is great.

I guess overall I would say that the image quality boost is modest but the "camera as tool" boost is significant. All you have to do is get used to that weird grip. I was having the hardest time with it and then one day my hand just figured it out.