Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all who have responded so far. The range of information is pretty much what I had expected but it is good to hear from other users.

06-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When the KP came out, it was said that it had been designed for use with the Limited lenses, because of its small size. The grip allows one to use the camera comfortably with much larger lenses, such as various 70-200 f2.8 lenses, the DA* 300, and the DFA 150-450. For those who aren't shooting one of those behemoth lenses, the grip may not be all that necessary.

I only use the larger batteries with the grip, in large part because the only spares of the smaller battery I have a third part Wasabi batteries that don't last very long.
06-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the grip it makes the camera feel mor comfortable. Like the use of the extra battery using the LI109 battery bought a couple of extra batteries and a dule USB charger so I don't have a power problem. Love the feel of the grip fits my hand well with the large grip.
Can hold the camera steadier. Usually usiong my Sig 18-50 mm Lense but very steady with my Pentax 50-135 f2.8 & Tamron 70-200 f2.8 usually use a tripod with this lens.
All is good.
06-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

1. Yes I own it
2. About 75% of the time, even with a Limited mounted, always when I had a 300mm+ lens on for balance and in lens OS usage.
3. Both! I had extra from when I had my K-50 then KP so I started with the smaller battery in the adapter. Now it is whatever I grab and usually it is the larger now that I have 4 of them since acquiring a K-5IIs. Now finding a charger when I need it may be a different matter. that is why the interchangeable plate system is kind of cool. With the large battery I don't have to change the batteries for days even when taking a few hundred each day and walking around with the camera on stalking wildlife.

07-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
1. How many of you own the D-BG7 battery grip?

2. If you own that grip, how often do you use it?

3. If you use it do you use it with the D-LI90 battery or the D-LI109 Battery?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Mikesul I have the grip and its pretty much on there all the time. It never really comes off for me. 109 battery because this was my first Pentax DSLR and only had this type of battery and charger to begin with so I purchased more 109s to supply the KP.
07-24-2019, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own the D-BG7 and use it about 75% of the time. I typically use the D-LI90 but have extra 109s if I need them. I really like using the grip, the handling is excellent for me and I need the extra battery capacity. I balked at the price for awhile but after I got it that was quickly forgotten.
07-25-2019, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #22

I use the grip 100% of the time. Without a grip the camera was really awkward for me to hold with fingers and part of my palm ending up on the bottom of the camera. Too much hand and not enough camera.

If I am out in the field, traveling, or unable to access an electrical socket for a day or so I'll make sure the larger i90 loaded. If not I just use an extra 109.

I keep a 20-40 mounted on my KP about 90% of the time and only swap it for a 77mm for portraits or a 15mm for wide angle shots.

I also use a grip for my K3 100% of the time (50-135mm lens 100% usage). I have a grip for my k5-ii (31mm 100% usage) and I used it once and it has been in a drawer ever since.

08-15-2019, 06:15 AM   #23
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by idontstairs Quote
I use the grip 100% of the time. Without a grip the camera was really awkward for me to hold with fingers and part of my palm ending up on the bottom of the camera. Too much hand and not enough camera.

If I am out in the field, traveling, or unable to access an electrical socket for a day or so I'll make sure the larger i90 loaded. If not I just use an extra 109.

I keep a 20-40 mounted on my KP about 90% of the time and only swap it for a 77mm for portraits or a 15mm for wide angle shots.

I also use a grip for my K3 100% of the time (50-135mm lens 100% usage). I have a grip for my k5-ii (31mm 100% usage) and I used it once and it has been in a drawer ever since.
Is the larger grip (replacing the small one assembled on the KP body) part of the battery grip package or of the KP package itself?
08-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scc Quote
Is the larger grip (replacing the small one assembled on the KP body) part of the battery grip package or of the KP package itself?
Yes. The large grip comes with the battery grip and the KP along with the small and medium grips. US sold KPs come with all three grips while I think the Australian market KP only came with one grip. I don’t know about other markets, and I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong about Australia.
08-15-2019, 11:15 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do have D-BG7, always use it with 109 batteries as I have a number of spares, 90's are reserved for the larger bodies.
I use it occasionally.

kind regards
jack
08-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by scc Quote
My KP came with the grips S, M & L. When I bought the D-BG7 is also came with a grip L.
10-01-2019, 04:19 AM   #27

I have been considering the grip more or less for the added power but reading the comments above I think I made the right choice skipping the grip (it's way too expensive) and going for extra batteries instead. Thanks!
10-02-2019, 06:18 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just purchased a B-DG7 for my KP. It was a tad expensive, and does diminish the small form-factor advantage of the KP, but I do think it handles better with it, especially when using my Sigma 17-50 2.8. I haven't yet bought the larger battery for it...that might just add too much weight.
10-03-2019, 12:43 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SwedishTim Quote
I have been considering the grip more or less for the added power but reading the comments above I think I made the right choice skipping the grip (it's way too expensive) and going for extra batteries instead. Thanks!
That is also the route I am taking.
I was seriously thinking about KP grip but it is very difficult to find it in a retail store and even more difficult at a reasonnable price...
Did you go genuine pentax batteries or generic ones? D-li109 are also very pricey from what I have noticed!
10-03-2019, 05:20 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
That is also the route I am taking.
I was seriously thinking about KP grip but it is very difficult to find it in a retail store and even more difficult at a reasonnable price...
Did you go genuine pentax batteries or generic ones? D-li109 are also very pricey from what I have noticed!
I did buy third party batteries.. There is a brand here called Jupio that seems to be good, and so far I am happy with them!