Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2019, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Questions for D-BG7 owners

1. How many of you own the D-BG7 battery grip?

2. If you own that grip, how often do you use it?

3. If you use it do you use it with the D-LI90 battery or the D-LI109 Battery?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

06-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the grip and keep it mounted to the KP full time, mainly for portrait mode handling (I'm still undecided about how much benefit it is for me from that perspective). I use the D-LI109 batteries simply because that's what I have.

With hindsight, (if this a "is it worth getting the battery grip" type question), then I'd say, for me personally, I most likely wouldn't have bought it. Handling in portrait mode is better but that doesn't overcome the significant weight penalty and the fact that it makes the KP a much bigger object to handle, which kind of negates one of the KP's great features. I use it mainly because I'm a "I've bought it so I may as well use it" sort of person.
06-02-2019, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote

I'm not a "D-BG7 owner" - so I guess technically this question wasn't directed to me, but then the first question doesn't make any sense. Five years ago, a year before I switched from Canon to Pentax, I purchased a battery grip for my Rebel .... I 'retired' it before the Rebel died on me, so I've never considered one for my Pentax cameras. Seldom does a battery run down during the day, I rotate a camera clockwise {keeping shutter on right side of the camera} so I gain little in taking vertical photos, and I prefer a camera to be smaller {which if why I purchased the KP}, so I can't think of any reason why I would purchase a Battery Grip.
06-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your response, Reh321. I also have never found a need for a battery grip, although I have tried several.

Nevertheless, many people find them useful, even essential. That is why 1. makes sense since i know many KP owners already have, and use the grip.

Please, let's not turn this into another debate about the value of battery grips. I am just curious how current KP users will answer the questions.

06-02-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I have the grip and keep it mounted to the KP full time, mainly for portrait mode handling (I'm still undecided about how much benefit it is for me from that perspective). I use the D-LI109 batteries simply because that's what I have.

With hindsight, (if this a "is it worth getting the battery grip" type question), then I'd say, for me personally, I most likely wouldn't have bought it. Handling in portrait mode is better but that doesn't overcome the significant weight penalty and the fact that it makes the KP a much bigger object to handle, which kind of negates one of the KP's great features. I use it mainly because I'm a "I've bought it so I may as well use it" sort of person.
Thanks, CarlB, for your interesting and thoughtful answer.
06-02-2019, 07:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have it, and use it occasionally, particularly when I have the 150-450 on the KP, and it helps when I want to handhold that beast.
But other than that, not a lot, the KP is my travel/hiking body, and I don't want it too much bigger.

I'd much have preferred a slightly bigger regular grip and body.
06-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know this question is not directed to me, so please excuse the response!

With the K5, I found the D-BG4 grip really improved the ergonomics of the camera. So, naturally, when I changed to the K-1, I bought the D-BG6 grip. With the larger size of the K-1, the D-BG6 grip is not a necessity but, even with the larger body, I prefer the ergonomics with the grip fitted so much that I never remove it from the K-1. I gifted the K5 to my daughter who does fashion photography with it and she prefers to shoot without the battery grip.

I have large hands and the battery grip certainly helps me to hold onto the camera more easily. I realise that would somewhat detract from the compactness of the KP.

So, very much personal choice I'm afraid!

06-03-2019, 01:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I dont have it but have basically the same questions as you, but with no opportunity to test it in real life...
06-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

1. How many of you own the D-BG7 battery grip? - Yes I do

2. If you own that grip, how often do you use it? - Pretty much only with the D FA 150-450, my other lenses balance nicely without it. I find the camera too big with the grip on so I limit it to when using the 150-450 because it handles better for me.

3. If you use it do you use it with the D-LI90 battery or the D-LI109 Battery? The D-LI90, and i have iset to draw power from the grip first.

A note about the D-BG7 : You need to have the large grip hand attached to use the D-BG7. So when my 150-450 is in rotation, so to speak, the large grip stays on the KP, otherwise I use the medium grip.

Regarding hand size: I wear medium sized gloves so i guess that makes my hands medium sized. My pinky sits below the camera. Does this bother me? No, because I am used to shooting with compact cameras whether it is a point and shoot, or GRii, or a Micro 4/3s (Panasonic GX9), or my film Pentax MX. The KP has a relatively compact body, and I like the fact that it fits into a smaller camera bag.

Last edited by wstruth; 06-03-2019 at 08:15 AM.
06-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the grip and only use it with my larger and heavier lenses, Sigma 85mm and Pentax 50-135mm. As I only use a wrist strap I find it much easier to carry with the extra grip to wrap my fingers around. It also helps with balance with a larger heavier lens.

I do not use it with smaller lenses as I like the small design of the KP.

To me the KP is two different cameras, one without grip fitted and a totally different feel and look with grip fitted.

The grip is rather expensive though, not sure if there is a Chinese version yet. I got my KP for a bargain price so could afford the grip and still not reach the RRP for the KP. I must admit I don`t think I would have bought one otherwise.

I also use a Fuji XT20 and there is no battery grip available, not that I need one. But, there is available an extra which consists of plate that attaches to the bottom of the camera and then extends up the side of the camera with a slightly larger grip like section that surrounds the existing grip area of the camera. It blends in very well with the camera and has the same fleck effect. I would be quite happy with a version of this for the KP as I do not use the extra controls on the battery grip and I am quite happy to carry a spare battery.
06-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Mike,
I have the battery grip. I thought it would make handholding the DA 300mm lens steady. The nice thing about it, is mine came with an extra large grip for the KP to match the contour of the battery grip. What a bonus. I never took that off. That itself helped a lot. Otherwise, I took the battery grip off, and will use it if I go on a long vacation, for the extra power with the larger battery. As far as the KP's design, I think Pentax got it right from the start. It's a super nice, well built little camera to go along with the K-1. I never thought that I would buy another cmos body again, but I like it.
06-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own the grip, and it stays on the camera most (85-90%) of the time. Which actually surprises me, since I generally prefer a smaller camera, but I really like the longer battery life and the improved handling. I only take the grip off the camera in a couple of situations. First, if I'll be shooting primarily indoors and using primes instead of zooms. (Which for me is basically the same thing, since I don't own any fast zooms.) Second, if I'll be traveling light and/or will be moving the camera in/out of the bag a lot, since that's easier to do without the grip.

I use the grip with Wasabi D-LI90 batteries.

--Steve
06-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the grip on always and use the OEM D-LI90 with it. The grip makes the handling with heavier lenses so much nicer.
06-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you own that grip, how often do you use it?
Whenever I'm planning to shoot my bigger zooms - like the DA*11-18, DA*50-135, DA*60-250 and especially the DFA150-450. Also in cold climates (like my recent Antarctic trip) I find the extra battery life is reassuring.

QuoteQuote:
If you use it do you use it with the D-LI90 battery or the D-LI109 Battery?
D-Li90. Every time. I have several spares for my bigger bodies, so if I'm going for extra charge, I see no point in using the smaller battery. I do have a spare D-Li109, but I only use it when I'm shooting sans grip
06-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

As shown in these responses, use of the battery grip, or not at all, is a very individual matter. But the great thing about that is the availability of it. Adding it greatly changes the character of the camera, as well as certain capabilities- with all the grips available including the optional battery grip, the camera and its handling changes like a chameleon from an unusually slender, compact body/ensemble with the smallest grip and say a DA 40mm or DA 21mm, to a meaty chunk with a larger lens on it, and all in between. And yet even then with the battery grip, it is only about the same carrying weight as the K-3 II without a battery grip, while supplying substantially more battery life than said K-3 II, along with advantageous vertical shooting.

As for myself, I am happy with the various supplied grips of the KP while using most of my lenses, up to and including my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8. Then with yet larger lenses, such as the DA* 200mm f/2.8 or the FA* 300mm f/4.5 or larger, I find general handling to be better balanced with the battery grip added.

I have two KP bodies. At the moment, on one of them I have the smallest supplied grip and the DA 20-40mm Limited. On the other, I have the largest supplied grip and the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC, with the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 lens in a belt case sitting beside it.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-06-2019 at 05:20 PM.