Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2019, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How did I ever live without this feature?

I think I'm in love. For the types of photography I do I love the TAv setting. I get to set both the shutter speed and the aperture and the camera adjusts by changing the ASA. I took some pictures at a local outdoor concert and was able to shoot at F5.6 at 1/500 with the band in the shade. The FA 60-250 F4.0 is seriously sharp. Here's a couple of examples.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
07-04-2019, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by butchblack Quote
For the types of photography I do I love the TAv setting.
Yep, with TAv consciously setting the optimal shutter speed and aperture based on situation, you can significantly exceed the image quality given by the default programs of the camera automation.
07-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes. It is a great feature. Nice images. Your dating yourself with "ASA". 😊😀😊
07-04-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One caution. If you're shooting in dark situations, the TAv feature can crank up the ISO to levels which could introduce noise and picture degradation. You still need some feel for when it's inappropriate. Keep an eye on the ISO in those situations and don't just assume all is well. Otherwise, enjoy that feature!

07-04-2019, 12:26 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
One caution. If you're shooting in dark situations, the TAv feature can crank up the ISO to levels which could introduce noise and picture degradation. You still need some feel for when it's inappropriate. Keep an eye on the ISO in those situations and don't just assume all is well. Otherwise, enjoy that feature!
You can limit ISO value range; if normally ISO value would go beyond that value, it will stay at limit, and that value will flash.
07-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

TAv is my best friend at ballet recitals.
07-04-2019, 12:51 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, TAv mode rocks!

All the other camera makers seem stuck in the film era or early digital era when ASA/ISO was not under camera control or anything other than base ISO was horribly noisy.

Although too high an ISO makes the image noisy, too low a shutter speed is often much worse (blurry people/objects), and too wide an aperture can also ruin the image with too shallow a DoF or softness/flare problems with a wide-open lens.

07-04-2019, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Yes, TAv mode rocks!

All the other camera makers seem stuck in the film era or early digital era when ASA/ISO was not under camera control or anything other than base ISO was horribly noisy.

Although too high an ISO makes the image noisy, too low a shutter speed is often much worse (blurry people/objects), and too wide an aperture can also ruin the image with too shallow a DoF or softness/flare problems with a wide-open lens.
In Ihe rare circumstances when a limited ISO ceiling causes iffy exposure you can always choose to manually increase ISO and (IIRC) return it to your original limited setting with the Green Button.
07-04-2019, 01:49 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Especially for subjects like birds in flight, a 6400 ISO image with no motion blur and the DoF you want is preferable to almost any other alternative.
07-04-2019, 05:13 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

TAv is probably my most used mode, unless I'm shooting in bright daylight (in which case Av or M make more sense).

I'm happy to let ISO float as high as the camera wants, on the basis that shutter speed and aperture are my priorities creatively. And if I see that ISO has gone too high, I can always compromise on one or the other...

Actually, my Sony gear offers the same capability, but it's less logical in the way it's implemented. Instead, you go to (M)anual mode and set ISO to Auto... Otherwise, though, it's the same. But I like that Pentax has a specific mode for it
07-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Actually, my Sony gear offers the same capability, but it's less logical in the way it's implemented. Instead, you go to (M)anual mode and set ISO to Auto... Otherwise, though, it's the same. But I like that Pentax has a specific mode for it
Canon does the same thing. I first began thinking about TAv mode when a member of another discussion forum, who leads African safaris, started using it with his $$$$ Canon, but I wasn't willing to make much use of it until I got the KP and its graceful high ISO implementation.
07-04-2019, 08:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

TAv is probably my most used mode, unless I'm shooting in bright daylight (in which case Av or M make more sense).

I'm happy to let ISO float as high as the camera wants, on the basis that shutter speed and aperture are my priorities creatively. And if I see that ISO has gone too high, I can always compromise on one or the other...

I suspect my camera thinks it has only two settings on the mode dial: TAv and M. TAv is really useful.
07-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I agree, TAv shooting mode is extremely important for me to shoot indoors with a cap of ISO setting; likewise, I also like to use Sv mode often times over Av or Tv mode especially for outside shooting. Both shooting modes are unique to Pentax DLSR camera only.

---------- Post added 07-05-2019 at 12:15 AM ----------

I think all shooting modes (Sv, Av, Tv and TAv), except M mode, are affected by +-EV comp adjustment. I am not sure if M mode with auto-ISO works the same with other brands.
07-05-2019, 01:26 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I think all shooting modes (Sv, Av, Tv and TAv), except M mode, are affected by +-EV comp adjustment. I am not sure if M mode with auto-ISO works the same with other brands.
EV compensation works with M + Auto ISO on my A7 MkII and Hasselblad HV (Sony A99)...
07-05-2019, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

In ye olde days of film, the four settings of the PASM dial were good enough because ISO/ASA was set by the film and the AE system only controlled 2 dimensions of shutter time and lens aperture. But with digital and especially with newer high-DR/high-ISO sensors, the sensitivity become a third variable.

In theory, the PASM mode dial should expand to 8 possible settings:

P: nothing manual / automated time, aperture, and sensitivity

Tv: manual time / automated aperture and sensitivity
Av: manual aperture / automated time and sensitivity
Sv: manual sensitivity / automated time and aperture

TAv: manual time & aperture / automated sensitivity
TSv: manual time & sensitivity / automated aperture
ASv: manual aperture & sensitivity / automated time

M: manual time, aperture, and sensitivity / nothing automated