07-11-2019, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

(New) firmware for KP: V1.11

Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

07-11-2019, 02:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Update says that it has: Improved stability for general performance.

Not sure what that means exactly...
07-11-2019, 03:08 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Update says that it has: Improved stability for general performance.

Minor bug fixes which aren't worth describing in too much detail- usually they pertain to issues that are either extremely uncommon or not otherwise significant.

Still, for an update to contain nothing else but this, there must have been more fixes than usual.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-11-2019, 03:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As a camera software engineer it means the product manager kick your but all the time asking to go faster (the Pentax product manager would say "you gonna get that camera firmware out fast because everyone is waiting for you on Pentax forums"), when Pentaxians are whining and kicking on Pentax forum that there is no new Pentax camera released, you won't test 100% of software cases, focusing on where he think there is more risk of getting bugs. Keeping the deep testing for after the camera is released.

07-11-2019, 04:00 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Interesting that it states

This firmware is only for PENTAX KP. Please do not use for PENTAX KP J limited.

I wonder how different the firmware is between the KP and the KP J limited.
I thought it was mainly cosmetic with some custom user modes.
07-11-2019, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
Interesting that it states

This firmware is only for PENTAX KP. Please do not use for PENTAX KP J limited.

I wonder how different the firmware is between the KP and the KP J limited.
I thought it was mainly cosmetic with some custom user modes.
I believe the different firmware for KP J limited mainly accounts for U5 option on the mode dial, which is the camera settings that were chosen by photographer Kazutoshi Yoshimura.
07-11-2019, 04:13 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by parinya-ekparinya Quote
I believe the different firmware for KP J limited mainly accounts for U5 option on the mode dial, which is the camera settings that were chosen by photographer Kazutoshi Yoshimura.
That being my point. If its just a custom U5, will my current modifications to U5 be overwritten by this update (i.e. back to default).
If not, then whats the difference between KP & KP J that warrant a different firmware, Also noted that the KP J doesn't have a firmware listed on the downloads page.

07-11-2019, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
That being my point. If its just a custom U5, will my current modifications to U5 be overwritten by this update (i.e. back to default).
If not, then whats the difference between KP & KP J that warrant a different firmware, Also noted that the KP J doesn't have a firmware listed on the downloads page.
This firmware is for KP, thus it is not going to include U5. So I believe there is nothing new to overwrite your U5. There will be another firmware version dedicated for KP J limited whenever the camera comes. The version for KP J limited will include custom U5 settings.
07-11-2019, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #9

Updated without issue.
07-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

IS the AF a bit better? or it's a placebo?
07-13-2019, 02:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Maybe, this was my first idea that came in my mind after changing this firmware.
07-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I downloaded & installed the firmware update for my KP without any problems, except one. The day before I had taken about 250 photos at an event and my usual process is as soon as I get home is to download from the SD card to my computer. That night I didn't do this. The next morning I read about the new firmware and immediately install it. Afterward I realized those photos had been on the SD card and not moved to my computer. On another note, my KP just started it's shutter count over again.
07-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if this update includes the previous one ? has anyone used this new one and skipped the previous one ?
I might have missed the answer somewhere.
07-14-2019, 11:51 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Angulon Quote
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if this update includes the previous one ? has anyone used this new one and skipped the previous one ?
I might have missed the answer somewhere.
I believe you can simply install the latest version of firmware. It is not necessary to install firmware in-order.
07-15-2019, 05:54 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
IS the AF a bit better? or it's a placebo?
I don't know if you are pulling our legs, but since the update my autofocus does seem to be performing better.
I tested AF-C with target coming straight at the camera at ~60km/h in burst and every shot was in focus

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 07-16-2019 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Language