Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sensor cleaning

I have found some spots on my KP's sensor that the Rocket blower will not remove. I have the KP's sensor cleaning set to activate both on start up and shut down. I haven't had to clean a sensor since my Canon 5D days (dust magnet).
I am familiar on how to wet clean it, just want to know what solutions are safe for this sensor, sense there is no glass in front of the sensor?
I might just end up buying the Pentax O-icky1 stick, but it's a little expensive compared to what I use to buy.

Last edited by Wingincamera; 09-07-2019 at 03:46 PM.
09-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I bought a sensor cleaning pen years ago, have used it on multiple sensors with good luck.
09-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have the Pentax O-icky1 stick and have used it with satisfactory results. I really don't clean my sensor very often, even if it has dust on it, unless it's real bad, I'd rather fix in post.
09-08-2019, 02:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I might just end up buying the Pentax O-icky1 stick
On the K5, I had to clean the sensor quite often. It is dry and dusty where I take most of my shots, but only had to clean the KP sensor once. It's ultrasonic cleaning is much better.
The Pentax stixky thing is not cheap, but I would reccommend it. Much cheaper having it cleaned

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
I'd rather fix in post
Sometimes I do not see dust in on my image, but when posted to flckr, their algorithms seem to make the invisible dust visible. That is when I hang my head in shame and go clean the senor again

09-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
Sometimes I do not see dust in on my image, but when posted to flckr, their algorithms seem to make the invisible dust visible. That is when I hang my head in shame and go clean the senor again
Sometimes, in order to see dust spots, hairs and hot pixels in one of my images, I have to go over it at 100% magnification (200% on my new high-DPI Retina display). My K-3 is great at dust removal, much better than my K-x and K-01. I used to have to use the blower frequently, and the icky-sticky pen once every year or two. I think I’ve only had to resort to the blower twice in the 5 years I’ve had the K-3, and I’ve never needed to use the sticky pen on it. My rate of shooting has dropped, but not by that much. The ultrasonic cleaning mode on the K-3 is way better than the sensor-shake mode of my older cameras.
09-19-2019, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Amazingly in a year of use and several thousand shots I have almost no dust on my sensor... The sensor removal on startup seems to do a much better job than with the k-5 series which is a literal dust magnet.
09-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I bought the icky-sticky as a last resort to clean my Nikon D750 sensor, and it is the only thing that worked. The dust (or oil) spots have not returned which makes me think the wet solution cleaning just masked the spots, and the icky-stick actually removed them because I have not seen any spots since cleaning. I also cleaned my KP one time.

10-06-2019, 08:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to clean my k100d on a weekly basis, K7 every few weeks, K5 much less and KP, K1 not once as of almost 2 years into shooting with them.
10-07-2019, 03:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
Pentax O-icky1 stick
I'm not sure if we can actually but this one in Australia. Be good if we could.

Last edited by beachgardener; 10-07-2019 at 10:22 PM.
10-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #10
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I used to clean my k100d on a weekly basis, K7 every few weeks, K5 much less and KP, K1 not once as of almost 2 years into shooting with them.
Yep, the K100D was a serious pain, especially when I took it to the beach, where wet cleanings were needed. K-01 also required some wet cleaning, but usually only a Rocket blow. KP and K-1ii are so easy - just an occasional puff with the Rocket blower. In-camera dust removal technology has significantly advanced over the years.

Good thing, eh?
10-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

What do you use to clean the Pentax stick, once you're short of the original stickers ?
Does any duct tape is ok ?
10-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by agukha Quote
What do you use to clean the Pentax stick, once you're short of the original stickers ?
I’d be concerned about the adhesive on duct tape, which doesn’t always stay put, and it might transfer onto the sensor.
10-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I had dust and needed cleaning the sensor of my K-S2 several times with special wet brushes (especially designed brushes for aps-c). I didn't need to clean it this year though.
10-15-2019, 05:44 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by agukha Quote
I'd probably try something less sticky first, like painters tape or the sticky strip of a Post-It note.
10-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sometimes I do it myself with Eclipse, and sometimes I let the guys at Phototech do it for me.