Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

KP ridiculously loud while changing aperture in M mode?

Seems like the camera is trying to wake the dead whenever I change the aperture in M mode on a normal autofocus lens. I notice it seems to actually stop the lens down for focusing as well?

Anyone else experience this?

Tomorrow I'll try to get a sound recording of it, it's almost comical.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 09-12-2019 at 09:47 PM.
09-13-2019, 03:13 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only in M mode?

With any lens, or only a few lens(s)?

I have never experience this and would be interested to read the discussion.
09-13-2019, 03:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Only in M mode?

With any lens, or only a few lens(s)?

I have never experience this and would be interested to read the discussion.
Only in M mode, and it does it with any lens that changes the aperture in camera.
09-13-2019, 05:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Anyone else experience this?
I just checked with a 55-300 plm. M Mode, dialed changes of aperture; no noticeable sound.

09-13-2019, 06:44 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
My KP periodically makes a clicking noise when changing aperture. This noise would not manifest on the above mentioned 55-300 PLM since that lens doesn't have a mechanical aperture lever.

In general the KP aperture motor appears to be somewhat noisy. There's a thread elsewhere in the forum IIRC about the startup sound it makes.
09-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
My KP periodically makes a clicking noise when changing aperture. This noise would not manifest on the above mentioned 55-300 PLM since that lens doesn't have a mechanical aperture lever.

In general the KP aperture motor appears to be somewhat noisy. There's a thread elsewhere in the forum IIRC about the startup sound it makes.
This?

KP aperture lever twitching on startup - PentaxForums.com

There's also this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/203-pentax-kp/387517-lens-noise-kp.html

OP may have already seen these threads, though.
09-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Seems like the camera is trying to wake the dead whenever I change the aperture in M mode on a normal autofocus lens. I notice it seems to actually stop the lens down for focusing as well?
Is this happening in live view? Which lens?

Steve

09-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never experienced that with my k3.
09-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is this happening in live view? Which lens?

Steve

Yah it's live view, lenses used are the tamron 90mm macro and the DA 40 xs.
09-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I need to figure out what is causing this because it makes M mode basically unusuable. It makes it almost impossible to focus in liveview when stopped down.

Edit: I think it's live view trying to compensate for how bright it is, except that even when exposure is spot on it's royally screwing up. I don't know why this is only happening in M mode.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 09-13-2019 at 10:51 AM.
09-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I need to figure out what is causing this because it makes M mode basically unusuable. It makes it almost impossible to focus in liveview when stopped down.
This is all very strange. The aperture actuator motor "homing" on startup is well-known as is mild protective stop-down in bright conditions (live view, all modes) with associated noises, but actual stop-down with change of aperture setting is something new. Is the lens actually stopping down or is the display just getting lighter/darker with change of set EV?* One can tell the difference by seeing if it does it with change of shutter speed as well as change of aperture.

Steve

* The exposure simulation feature in live view will lighten/darken the display in response to change in set EV.
09-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is the lens actually stopping down or is the display just getting lighter/darker with change of set EV?* One can tell the difference by seeing if it does it with change of shutter speed as well as change of aperture.
Lens is actually stopping down. Yah that was the first thing I had checked.
09-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Mine was making loud noises when I would switch over to view files. Then the camera had an attack while using the onboard flash unit.I sent it back.
09-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Mine was making loud noises when I would switch over to view files. Then the camera had an attack while using the onboard flash unit.I sent it back.
Mine doesn't seem hardware in nature, mine seems like software is screwing up. I need to make sure I have the latest firmware after my batteries are done charging.
09-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Mine doesn't seem hardware in nature, mine seems like software is screwing up. I need to make sure I have the latest firmware after my batteries are done charging.
Something is definitely wrong. It is as if the DOF preview is engaged full time.

Steve