Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Physical size of KP with the D-BG7 battery grip?

I am thinking about buying the D-BG7 grip for my KP. The overall size increase might affect my decision if it will not fit into my camera bag. I have two bags, one is a backpack type and that wouldn't make a difference for the grip. But my main carry bag is a smaller Lowepro Nova 2 shoulder type bag I've had for about 20 plus years, I like it. It holds my KP with a limited lens attached and three other limited size lenses plus filters & flash and extra batteries.

So can anyone with the D-BG7 grip tell me the overall dimensions with the camera? Thank you in advance.

10-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

5 7/8 tall, no added width and no added depth beyond the large interchangeable grip.
10-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you.

---------- Post added 10-09-19 at 06:02 PM ----------

I just checked the camera with my carry bag and I would have to remove the battery grip to place the camera in the bag. I just ordered two more replacement batteries and will skip the grip for now. Maybe if I ever replace my current Lowepro bag I will buy one.
Again, thank you for the quick reply.
10-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
Thank you.

---------- Post added 10-09-19 at 06:02 PM ----------

I just checked the camera with my carry bag and I would have to remove the battery grip to place the camera in the bag. I just ordered two more replacement batteries and will skip the grip for now. Maybe if I ever replace my current Lowepro bag I will buy one.
Again, thank you for the quick reply.
You are welcome. I really like the D-BG7 BTW.

10-10-2019, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For what it's worth, the grip totally changes the KP's ergonomics (for the better) with larger lenses.
10-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
For what it's worth, the grip totally changes the KP's ergonomics (for the better) with larger lenses.
Fully concur, using the KP w/o the grip is a no-go for me.
10-10-2019, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
using the KP w/o the grip is a no-go for me.
I wouldn't go quite that far. When I'm only carrying a bag of Limiteds - like for an urban walk-around - sans grip is the coolest way to go
10-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I wouldn't go quite that far. When I'm only carrying a bag of Limiteds - like for an urban walk-around - sans grip is the coolest way to go
Only LTD non zoom that I use is the 15ltd. Rest are Pentax zooms that cover from 11-450mm. The grip is really good.

10-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Pentax zooms that cover from 11-450mm. The grip is really good.
I hear ya. It's great with the DA*11-18 (as well as the DA*50-135 and DA*60-250), but it's transformative with the DFA150-450.
6 Days Ago   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You guys are killing me with all the positive comments of the grip. I don't want to buy another shoulder bag in order to use the grip. But you have me on the fence. I guess I might take a look at B&H and see what's available.
Any suggestions on a shoulder carry bag that accommodates the KP & grip with lens and a couple of lenses?
6 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

You guys are killing me with all the positive comments of the grip. I don't want to buy another shoulder bag in order to use the grip. But you have me on the fence. I guess I might take a look at B&H and see what's available.
Any suggestions on a shoulder carry bag that accommodates the KP & grip with lens and a couple of lenses?
I think you should test it and make your own opinion. I was in the same shoes and was strongly hesitating. There is no retailer where I could handle this d-bg7 around me so I postponed my purchase and bought some extra batteries instead. I might reconsider it with time.
6 Days Ago   #12

Photos: Gallery
With the grip fitted it certainly does feel like a completely different camera especially with the larger bulky lenses. I did baulk a bit at the price though, not aware of any cheaper versions. I am quite happy with cheaper copy grip for my K5, perhaps in time a copy will be made for the KP.
5 Days Ago   #13
Pentaxian

I use my grip with the 150-450, and m pretty happy with it for a big lens. Otherwise my KP is grip-less. I especially like that i can use a K-1 Battery in the grip with the KP.
5 Days Ago   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philanker2012 Quote
With the grip fitted it certainly does feel like a completely different camera especially with the larger bulky lenses. I did baulk a bit at the price though, not aware of any cheaper versions. I am quite happy with cheaper copy grip for my K5, perhaps in time a copy will be made for the KP.
I doubt a third party KP grip will be out anytime soon. Maybe if a KP II comes in line in the future but after 30 months of production of KP nothing came.
4 Days Ago   #15
Pentaxian

Ha-Ha!! I can understand that. Actually, when it comes to these pro-style well-built and well-designed models, like the K-5, K-3, K-1 and KP, their prices and their grips are reasonably priced. I have bought the battery grips for my K-5/K-5 IIs, the KP, as well as previous models I've owned, even with only occasional use of these grips. When needed they are there.

As to carrying bags, I have numerous of these in various styles and sizes. I use according to what I'll be carrying and to what extent to be carried. The ones I have were not all that costly, and some were included in special camera deals.

For me, general handling is fine with the small to the largest supplied grip up to and including the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 lens. For larger ones, like the DA* 200mm f/2.8 or FA* 300mm f/4.5 I find the grip enhances the overall handling quite a bit. I also use it for extensive events-shooting so I don't run out of battery juice at an inconvenient moment for battery changes.

I imagine it would especially be a definite advantage with your Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 lens.