Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #1

KP AF Mode button does nothing

So when I press and hold the AF MODE button and rotate the front/rear dials in Program mode, the dials change the aperture and shutter speed as usual. When pressing and holding the AF MODE button, it should switch AF MODE, right? I wonder if it only works in certain settings/modes?

I sure wish Pentax could produce an intelligable user manual!

10-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pressing the button alone does nothing. You need to turn the opposite dial to change the mode, AFAIK. In other words, one dial controls the points, and the other the mode (AF.C or AF.S).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JMeyer Quote
So when I press and hold the AF MODE button and rotate the front/rear dials in Program mode, the dials change the aperture and shutter speed as usual. When pressing and holding the AF MODE button, it should switch AF MODE, right? I wonder if it only works in certain settings/modes?

It was described in page number 60 of the manual. You have to turn the front and rear e-dials while pressing the AF mode button to make a change.
10-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is thorough but Japanese to English leaves some space for interpreting.

10-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm confused. He mentions pushing the button and tiring the dials but says it isn't changing modes just aperture and shutter speed. That's wrong - right? Maybe broken button?
10-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am in the P-mode most of the time. Pressing the AE , front dial changes modes, rear dial changes focus points, at least on my KP
10-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, when you push the button, does the rear display change? If not then a possible hardware problem.

10-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by parinya-ekparinya Quote
It was described in page number 60 of the manual. You have to turn the front and rear e-dials while pressing the AF mode button to make a change.
Yes, I am pressing and holding the AF MODE button while turning the e-dials, front and rear. I think I understand how it's supposed to behave. But what happens is: the e-dials change the shutter speed & aperture as they would without pressing down the button. (I almost always shoot in PROGRAM mode, if that makes any difference.)

Maybe it is a faulty button?

---------- Post added 10-18-2019 at 06:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
So, when you push the button, does the rear display change? If not then a possible hardware problem.
No, the rear display doesn't change. I'd expect it to highlight the AF field, but it doesn't.

This isn't a customizable button, right? I was wondering if I'd disabled it by mistake.
10-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps, I misunderstand the problem but the AF mode button is on the left side of the lens mount on the front of the camera. When you press that and rotate the front dial you will change AF.S/AF.C. The rear dial will change the focus point. Are you, perhaps, pushing the AF/AE button on the rear of the camera?
10-18-2019, 07:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I am pressing and holding the AF MODE button while turning the e-dials, front and rear. I think I understand how it's supposed to behave. But what happens is: the e-dials change the shutter speed & aperture as they would without pressing down the button. (I almost always shoot in PROGRAM mode, if that makes any difference.)

No, the rear display doesn't change. I'd expect it to highlight the AF field, but it doesn't.

This isn't a customizable button, right? I was wondering if I'd disabled it by mistake.
The rear LCD should display the current AF Mode and should change when pressing the AF Mode button on the left side of the mount If the AF Mode selection has not been reassigned. See Page 60 of the User Guide

The AF Mode can be assigned to C!, C2, or C3 from the Menu | Camera | 5 | > | AF Mode and would then be controlled - when the Custom Function is selected - by turning the Smart Function wheel (third wheel). See page 105 of the User Guide.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-18-2019 at 07:32 PM.
10-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #11
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which lens are you using?
10-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #12

This may be a silly question, but it's worth asking just to be sure:
Is the AF switch set to AF or MF? Also, are you using an AF lens, and if you are, are you sure that it's working properly (e.g., the contacts are clean and the lens is mounted correctly?)

Upon checking my KP, I can see that pressing the AF button while an AF lens is mounted but the focus switch set to MF will still allow me to change AF point mode, but when using an actual manual focus-only lens, no matter what position the switch is in the AF button will have no effect. So, the simplest way to troubleshoot my suggestion is to check if your display shows "MF" and not "AF.C" or "AF.S", while making sure the switch is set to AF. If that is the case, and you're sure you're using an AF lens, then you probably have a contact issue. If not, then the button may be faulty.
10-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery

Sorry for my misunderstanding.
A faulty button should be rare, but I guess that is possible.
10-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sounds broken to me.
10-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you really have to press *AND* hold the button? I think press and release is all I have to do. I'll check when I get home....