Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
legacy lens and exposure reading

How or where do I read my exposure reading on my KP when using a stop downed Takumar in manual mode? I mainly use the viewfinder. Thanks.

10-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mahanpots Quote
How or where do I read my exposure reading on my KP when using a stop downed Takumar in manual mode?
Normally, the shutter speed should update in the display at the bottom of the viewfinder when you press the green button to stop the lens down and meter. However, since the Takumar won't actually stop down automatically, it should just update the shutter speed based on where the lens aperture is set. I believe you will need to be in 'M' mode for this to work, and have use of the aperture ring enabled in the custom menu. The aperture will just show as F-, since you have a manual lens.
10-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually if it's an M42 Takumar (and it usually is) you should just be able to use Av mode and as you stop down the lens manually, it will update the shutter speed automatically for you.

If it's a "Takumar Bayonet" which was just a label for a few non-SMC K mount lenses, you would meter just like a K lens and that is through the green button as reduno explained.
10-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

With a stopped down lens, you can roll in manual or aperture priority (Av) mode. In the former, the meter reading will change when you rotate the aperture ring. In the latter, the camera will change shutter speed as required. Within limits, of course.

As an added bonus, combine Auto ISO with manual mode. The camera will change ISO as required.

10-28-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Actually if it's an M42 Takumar (and it usually is) you should just be able to use Av mode and as you stop down the lens manually, it will update the shutter speed automatically for you.
You are correct, much simpler than having to push the green button in 'M' mode.
10-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
You are correct, much simpler than having to push the green button in 'M' mode.
...but if you take shots at f8, you get a very dark viewfinder... so I actually prefer the K and M lenses and the use of the green button.
10-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, I'm using an M42 in manual mode with my KP. When I use it with my K5lls in manual mode, and I'm looking through the viewfinder, I hold the preview button ('on' switch pushed beyond 'on.') and I get a - or + number corresponding to the number of steps my exposure is under or over, or a 0 for correct exposure. It appears where the ISO number usual is at the bottom of the viewfinder. It's easy to hold the button while changing the aperture or shutter speed or ISO when working on your exposure, watching that number change. If in a hurry, I would use the green button as well and get an exposure to work use or work from. The KP does not have preview, and I don't see any way to read my exposure in manual mode. I can work with reduno's way of doing things, but I was looking for something similar to the way I was used to doing it, more like I used to do when I used a 35mm camera.
10-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP does not have preview
Optical preview can be assigned to one of the FX buttons (manual page 104). However, I don't know if this updates the metering information (I don't have the Kp here to try), and is still somewhat inconvenient.

10-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I use it with my K5lls in manual mode, and I'm looking through the viewfinder, I hold the preview button ('on' switch pushed beyond 'on.') and I get a - or + number corresponding to the number of steps my exposure is under or over, or a 0 for correct exposure. It appears where the ISO number usual is at the bottom of the viewfinder.
I just tried programming an FX button for optical preview, and it does show the +/- indication just as you described for the K-5.
10-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
I just tried programming an FX button for optical preview, and it does show the +/- indication just as you described for the K-5.
I tried it, and it doesn't work for me. I programmed FX3 to both optical and digital preview, and it didn't work for either. Maybe I need to do a firmware update. I just got the camera and haven't updated, but planned on doing it soon.

---------- Post added 10-28-19 at 06:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
With a stopped down lens, you can roll in manual or aperture priority (Av) mode. In the former, the meter reading will change when you rotate the aperture ring. In the latter, the camera will change shutter speed as required. Within limits, of course.

As an added bonus, combine Auto ISO with manual mode. The camera will change ISO as required.
I updated firmware and I still can't get +/- indication.

---------- Post added 10-28-19 at 06:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote

Your added bonus sounds like TAV. I use that a lot, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to "Auto ISO."
10-28-2019, 07:10 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe I need to do a firmware update.
No, mine still has version 1.0 (due for an update too). When I tried it the first time, I din't have an M42 lens handy, so I ended up using a PK mount Adaptall. What I have since discovered is, that it needs the lens ring to make electrical contact with the body pins. With no lens attached, it doesn't seem to do anything when I press the FX3 button. I'm not certain if the M42 adapter and lens you have is making the necessary contacts? If it worked on the K-5, I am surprised it doesn't work on the Kp.
10-29-2019, 06:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Apparently, the function I'm looking for is unavailable.

With my K5lls, (in manual mode) I was able to set my aperture, shutter and ISO, look through my viewfinder, hold the preview button down and see if I was under or over exposed, and then change what I wanted to change to get a correct exposure. With my KP I set my aperture, shutter and ISO, then press the green button. The camera changes my shutter speed to create a "correct" exposure. If I don't want to change my shutter speed (often the case), I must reset my shutter speed and change another setting (ISO or aperture) to get the correct exposure.

I'm disappointed, but I'll get over it. I'm enjoying the new camera.
10-29-2019, 08:15 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tried it, and it doesn't work for me. I programmed FX3 to both optical and digital preview, and it didn't work for either. Maybe I need to do a firmware update. I just got the camera and haven't updated, but planned on doing it soon.

---------- Post added 10-28-19 at 06:33 PM ----------

I updated firmware and I still can't get +/- indication.

---------- Post added 10-28-19 at 06:36 PM ----------

Your added bonus sounds like TAV. I use that a lot, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to "Auto ISO."
I think that "auto ISO" is not available in manual mode.