Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Getting the most out of my KP for landscape photography.

Hi there, I'm a relative beginner and I use my camera for any type of photography I can get the chance to do. Recently upgraded to KP from a k50.

I'm a keen walker and I want to use my KP to take some landscapes whilst I'm out walking. Landscape photography is never listed as a strong suit for the KP in reviews. I was wondering if this is simply because it's an APS-C or if it has some specific limitations or weaknesses as a body.

Anyway - My question is - What tips do you have to help me get the most out of the camera for landscape photography? Settings, technique etc.

I have a DAL 18-55 lens and just bought a plastic fantastic DA 35mm 2.4 AL. I know that wider lenses would help me out but for know I'm particularly keen to hear tips that I can use without splashing any more cash.

Thanks in advance to all you more advanced Pentaxians!

12-04-2019, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxDent Quote
Hi there, I'm a relative beginner and I use my camera for any type of photography I can get the chance to do. Recently upgraded to KP from a k50.

I'm a keen walker and I want to use my KP to take some landscapes whilst I'm out walking. Landscape photography is never listed as a strong suit for the KP in reviews. I was wondering if this is simply because it's an APS-C or if it has some specific limitations or weaknesses as a body.

Anyway - My question is - What tips do you have to help me get the most out of the camera for landscape photography? Settings, technique etc.

I have a DAL 18-55 lens and just bought a plastic fantastic DA 35mm 2.4 AL. I know that wider lenses would help me out but for know I'm particularly keen to hear tips that I can use without splashing any more cash.

Some of my favorite landscapes still to this day were taken on my K200D and the 18-55 - my point is you are more than set up to great pics with what you got. The KP seems like a great camera.

One tiny tip to start you off would be to understand how a chosen aperture affects a lens, and how to choose the right aperture for the scene. That will greatly enhance the sharpness of your lenses when used properly. That took me a while to get, I just shot wide open all the time for everything but long exposures in daylight

Good luck. You're gonna get good advice here.
12-04-2019, 03:19 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

The KP should be a great landscape body, all Pentaxes are. A couple of things to consider

- Stop down to about f8-f11
- Try not to blow out skies by overexposing. Dynamic range handling is a big issue.
- Test your two lenses on the same scene and see how they perform. I really like the da35 and the 18-55 not so much... but you might make a different call
- Only some scenes call for wide angle. Normal to tele lenses make for calmer more dignified photos that feel a bit more classy.
12-04-2019, 03:30 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxDent Quote

The KP is very strong for landscapes, maybe those reviewers don't do landscapes. I think to get the best out of any camera for landscapes, you need to use a tripod. It allows you to shoot steadier, and take your time composing. Then set your camera to a 2 or 10 second delay, or use a wired remote (the KP doesn't support the wireless remote). Shoot in manual at ISO 100, but you can go higher if you need faster shutter speed for moving wildlife or other things. Set you aperture at a sweet spot for your lens, or at different stops for desired depth of focus. Pentax cameras have a level, make sure it is activated and use it, a lot easier and better to make it is level when shooting than in post production. I like to use manual focus, you have focus peaking and magnification to assist. I would suggest Pixel shift if you have software that can handle it, I use Lightroom which doesn't (at least I don't think it does) to I haven't used it.

Don't worry about lenses, you don't need wide lens for landscapes, they can be useful for some landscapes and not for others. You DA 35 is probably very sharp and can capture a lot of detail. I have a DA 15 and a DA 55-300, I probably use them both equally for landscapes. The KP is pretty good with dynamic range, but it also does well with HDR, which is a huge improvement over the K-50.

You'll get some other tips here from much better photographers, good luck and can't wait to see some work of yours.

KP, DA 55-300 PLM at 135mm example.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 12-04-2019 at 03:46 PM.
12-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another plus for the KP on landscapes over the K-50 is the flip screen, it really helps when you want to shoot on the tripod at a low level.
12-04-2019, 04:51 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Landscape photography requires patience, an eye for composition, and a willingness to take a few steps to the left, right, higher, and lower from the place you thought “This would be a good landscape. “
By looking at a scene from a few different angles, you can often determine what objects drew your attention, and which location is best to capture those things.
Do not worry about gear, learning the settings and features of a camera. And the KP is a good one, is easier when you stick to one lens at the start.
Practice, and pay attention to your settings, experiment and you will get the image you wish.
12-04-2019, 05:06 PM - 7 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Landscape photography, like most genres, has very little to do with the model or type of camera you use.

Be in the right place at the right time and 90% of the work is done. The KP will not limit you in any way.

12-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Landscape photography, like most genres, has very little to do with the model or type of camera you use.

Be in the right place at the right time and 90% of the work is done. The KP will not limit you in any way.
Absolutely!!!
12-04-2019, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

How true, find the light!
12-04-2019, 06:23 PM - 4 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some landscapes with the KP. Any shortcomings are certainly not the camera's fault

12-05-2019, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^ What ramseybuckeye said. I’d second tripod/pixel shift, processed with either DCU5 or RawTherapee.
12-05-2019, 06:42 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Then set your camera to a 2 or 10 second delay, or use a wired remote (the KP doesn't support the wireless remote).
I see this comment a lot and I don’t think people realise that you can use the Image Sync app on your iPhone/Android as a wireless remote to change shooting settings and trigger the camera remotely.
12-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Pentax cameras have a level, make sure it is activated and use it, a lot easier and better to make it is level when shooting than in post production.
What, really?! I never knew this. I've been trying to keep things level based on the little [ ] in the viewfinder. Oh man no wonder I struggle with level horizon!

Anyone know if this is on the K7?
12-05-2019, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember you can always recover darker areas more than highlights. If you expose well for the sky you can lift shadows in Lightroom.
12-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NotMyFatDog Quote
What, really?! I never knew this. I've been trying to keep things level based on the little [ ] in the viewfinder. Oh man no wonder I struggle with level horizon!

Anyone know if this is on the K7?
I think it is.