Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2019, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxDent Quote
Hi there, I'm a relative beginner and I use my camera for any type of photography I can get the chance to do. Recently upgraded to KP from a k50.

I'm a keen walker and I want to use my KP to take some landscapes whilst I'm out walking. Landscape photography is never listed as a strong suit for the KP in reviews. I was wondering if this is simply because it's an APS-C or if it has some specific limitations or weaknesses as a body.

Anyway - My question is - What tips do you have to help me get the most out of the camera for landscape photography? Settings, technique etc.

I have a DAL 18-55 lens and just bought a plastic fantastic DA 35mm 2.4 AL. I know that wider lenses would help me out but for know I'm particularly keen to hear tips that I can use without splashing any more cash.

Thanks in advance to all you more advanced Pentaxians!
Bud a solid tripod ;-)

12-06-2019, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

#1.....buy a Tripod.
#2.....get out and shoot.
#3....Shoot in decent early or late light....Very Important.

Nothing wrong with an APSC camera for landscapes at all.
The 18-55 lens doesn't get much respect around here , but Ive used it as well as others here on PF to get some really nice shots.
Don't shoot wide open....STOP down to 5.6-11 for best results.
Learn your lenses and get hands on experience with your camera.
That's the best advice anyone will give in the beginning

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 12-06-2019 at 06:35 PM.
12-07-2019, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^ What Ronald said; and add pixel shift into the mix.
12-07-2019, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sell your DA-L 18-55mm and get a DA 18-55mm WR model, then get the older but still very good DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 WR lens. Without a WR lens your camera's WR body is not WR. Your would have a very capable outfit.

If you need wider angle, I can recommend with enthusiasm the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5, which provides a great wide angle FL range, and is very well made, although not WR. Its constant f/3.5 capability all the way through is pretty fast for grabbing low light shots hand held or with a moving subject. B&H has a great price for such a fine lens.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-07-2019 at 02:18 PM.
12-07-2019, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Sell your DA-L 18-55mm and get a DA 18-55mm WR model, then get the older but still very good DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 WR lens. Without a WR lens your camera's WR body is not WR. Your would have a very capable outfit.

If you need wider angle, I can recommend with enthusiasm the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5, which provides a great wide angle FL range, and is very well made, although not WR. Its constant f/3.5 capability all the way through is pretty fast for grabbing low light shots hand held or with a moving subject. B&H has a great price for such a fine lens.
I would second getting a DA55-300WR ,having recently upgraded to a KP from a K5ii it has breathed new life into this lens.Rather than an 18-55 I would encourage you to save up for a 16-85 the extra 2mm makes a big difference for landscape photography.

Last edited by timb64; 12-07-2019 at 06:24 PM.
12-07-2019, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, the 18-135 WR is a great landscape lens, as well as an all-around winner

90% of success in landscape photography is in composition, the choice of lens is secondary.
A great way to get a feel for landscapes is to visit places, just get out and capture a few local scenes if you can't travel much. at different times of day, in different weather, and get used to your camera settings and lenses, as well as the in-camera HDR (I think Pentax does a very good job with this) and pixel shift.
12-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
FWIW, the 18-135 WR is a great landscape lens, as well as an all-around winner

90% of success in landscape photography is in composition, the choice of lens is secondary.
A great way to get a feel for landscapes is to visit places, just get out and capture a few local scenes if you can't travel much. at different times of day, in different weather, and get used to your camera settings and lenses, as well as the in-camera HDR (I think Pentax does a very good job with this) and pixel shift.
I agree, this is a great all-around zoom lens, with fine landscape performance in the most often used FL range of 18-50mm, far better than the 18-55mm kit lens, if you can swing it financially. It is also very fine over an even greater FL range, since you'd be stopping down to f/8-11 anyway. It has WR, and its AF is quiet, exceptionally accurate and fast. It is also amazingly compact for its zoom range, in keeping with the KP's compact design.

But for WA, I would sure snag that Sigma lens- quite a deal at the price offered.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-08-2019 at 04:35 PM.
12-08-2019, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #23
Inactive Account

I mostly do Urban Landscape type of photography. I guess it can be applied.
- Compost slow, take your time looking at every thing before shoot.
- Using rear LCD can help a lot when Manual focus.
- Shoot native ISO, raw
- Stay for blue hour
- Consider macro lens for landscape, because you want sharp image across the field (care less about fast lenses.)
- Consider telephoto lens or short telephoto lens for landscape as well.
- A stable tripod
- Some kind of shutter release or a remote control. I got 3-4 IR remote control from eBay, It is only 2-3 bucks each.
- Do post processing
12-09-2019, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP is a nice landscape lens, especially for hiking. I tend to skip the tripod when I’m hiking, I try to keep what I’m carrying light and easy to carry.

As far as lenses go, I bought the 16-85 last year and love it. It covers much of what I want, I’ll add a telephoto lens of some sort most of the time.

I have had to work at learning how to use a wide angle lens effectively, I tend to look at and photograph details, so I naturally feel most comfortable shooting landscape with a telephoto. But other people instinctively understand how to use one right, and wouldn’t be without one.

I’ve also found f8 - f11 to be good apertures for general use with that combination. But it does depend on the story you want to tell with your picture.
01-05-2020, 09:59 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
(the KP doesn't support the wireless remote)
True, However:
QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
ou can use the Image Sync app on your iPhone/Android as a wireless remote to change shooting settings
Which I use mostly for night photos. Sometimes even 2 sec delay is not enough while pressing shutter.

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
As to the tripod, make sure it's good and sturdy, at least as much as you can arrange for,
Most of the tripods get sturdy when you put a weight balance. Sometimes if there is no hook for balance - I make it by myself
01-07-2020, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

goes to show you the KP is an exceptional camera.
I reckon the next one will be the KE, E for exceptional
01-08-2020, 03:33 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Can I just apologise as the OP for not responding to or acknowledging all these fantastic and helpful responses earlier, I haven’t really gotten into logging the forum regularly enough.

Thank you for all the good advice!
01-08-2020, 08:58 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Landscapes are unique where you don't actually need anything special to start in my opinion. What really matters is if your lens can reach infinity properly and you can make a composition. Ultimate sharpness of a lens isn't totally important because atmospheric haze can make the sharpest lenses soft.

Here are some landscape examples with the KP with a ~10 dollar lens (M75-150):

A 2 dollar lens I got at goodwill (petri 50mm f1.8):

And my kit lens (18-55):

Just get something nice you can afford and shoot, don't worry about what's the best. You can take good shots with anything, just practice!
01-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Some landscapes with the KP. Any shortcomings are certainly not the camera's fault

Beautiful, Sandy.