Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2020, 12:55 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Eagle has landed!

So, the story is that my daughter appropriated my beloved K-70 so I wanted to get another one until I ran into a crazy deal on the KP. It's not that I expect it to be thàt much different from the k-70 but it definitely IS exciting to actually hold a new (to me, that is) model in my hands! Battery is charging and for tomorrow I've paired it with "the Beast", as my Sigma 85mm/f1.4 tends to be called around the house. Weather for tomorrow is typical Dutch overcast/gloomy/grey but let's see what I can capture just to get a feel for this body.

(shot on my phone)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
POCOPHONE F1  Photo 
01-04-2020, 01:19 PM   #2

I'd be keen to know your thoughts, I might upgrade from K50 to KP one day. Is the Sigma 85mm f1.4 as good as people say?
01-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hypermodern Quote
I'd be keen to know your thoughts, I might upgrade from K50 to KP one day. Is the Sigma 85mm f1.4 as good as people say?
I think it's an awesome lens but not without its issues. I have the 'old' EX DG HSM version - as you can see by how much it's beat up - and there is a newer version. It performed fantasticly back on my K-5 IIs but I didn't much like it on the K-70 - I may have never calibrated it with that body I now realise. The shallow DOF is a pleasure though, it really gives the image such a great 3D feel.
01-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
The Eagle has landed!
Really enjoy your day tomorrow...

01-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Fantastic! Enjoy 8)

I got my KP for Christmas, and it’s a truly wonderful thing (that was coming from a K-30 mind you, a couple of generations behind your K-70).
01-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good looking combo! I have a smaller "beast" in the EX 50 1.4 but I don't use it much because I seem to have gotten a soft copy.
01-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Good looking combo! I have a smaller "beast" in the EX 50 1.4 but I don't use it much because I seem to have gotten a soft copy.
The thing I'm really looking forward to is using my Revuenon 55mm/f1.2 on it with focus peaking - should be a blast (and it was already nice on the K-70)

01-04-2020, 07:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy your new toy
01-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
So, the story is that my daughter appropriated my beloved K-70 so I wanted to get another one until I ran into a crazy deal on the KP. It's not that I expect it to be thàt much different from the k-70 but it definitely IS exciting to actually hold a new (to me, that is) model in my hands! Battery is charging and for tomorrow I've paired it with "the Beast", as my Sigma 85mm/f1.4 tends to be called around the house. Weather for tomorrow is typical Dutch overcast/gloomy/grey but let's see what I can capture just to get a feel for this body.

(shot on my phone)
Congrats!, but now you've got to keep her away from the 85!

I've taken the path from K-50 to KP. You'll be very happy.
01-05-2020, 12:11 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I've taken the path from K-50 to KP. You'll be very happy.
Thanks, if the K-new is heavily delayed I’ll get one this year some time.
01-05-2020, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So here's a few from this morning's walk which I think illustrate some of the strengths and weaknesses of the Sigma 85mm

Strength: sharpness - it can cut your fingers (admittedly, I exaggerated a bit in post but you get the point) at a few stops down, this is F6.3

Strength: sense of 3D or separation between subject a background. Also, strength: color rendition (even though this went through DarkTable, the color of the OOC jpeg is also lovely)

Weakness: sometimes slightly "nervous" looking out of focus areas with highlights (see the area left of Noam's head):

I had an idea that the combo KP/Sigma was front-focusing a teeny tiny bit but when I set up my focus finetuning chart I could not confirm it. Potentially purely incidental.
01-05-2020, 01:20 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks good, and I can see what you mean about the little bit of “nervousness” - I like that term.

I hate shooting focus charts. It always seems to me to be inconclusive so I wait until I have a lot more proof with real world experience to decide if a lens is or is not focusing incorrectly. And thanks for reminding me - my 12-24 has needed adjustment on a couple of different cameras but I haven’t yet used it on the KP. Good excuse to pull it out and see.
01-05-2020, 07:51 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Congrats on the new camera. The ergonomics certainly are different from the k70.
01-08-2020, 03:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How's that KP going?
01-08-2020, 03:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
How's that KP going?
Going strong indeed! Have a look at my other posts, I haven't had a lot of time to experiment but the results show a small but noticeable improvement over the K-70 in terms of IQ with something of a learning curve for me in terms of available controls on the body.