Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2020, 03:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ok, thanks man I'll look for them. Glad it is going good.

01-08-2020, 12:36 PM   #17
Pentaxian

The more I use the KP the more I wish it had a joystick on the back to move the focus point. The AF is really quite amazing and I've been doing more moving subjects with it.
01-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
The more I use the KP the more I wish it had a joystick on the back to move the focus point. The AF is really quite amazing and I've been doing more moving subjects with it.
How many focus points do you use?
01-14-2020, 05:15 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I'm excited to see what you can achieve with it, I ordered mine KP and will get hold of it next week to month perhaps (coming from different country). I'm used of K20D for now. Can't wait to try KP! Just ordered Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 for it too.

01-15-2020, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prohibitiory Quote
I'm excited to see what you can achieve with it, I ordered mine KP and will get hold of it next week to month perhaps (coming from different country). I'm used of K20D for now. Can't wait to try KP! Just ordered Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 for it too.
I shot with a K20D for a number of years, and enjoyed it. Then went on to the K-5 series and still sometimes use my K-5 IIs. I've had the KP for nearly 2 years now. I can assure you, coming from the K20D to the KP will bring some very pleasant surprises. However, the two are very different in many ways. The controls are especially different, which is an adventure in discovery. What you will lose due to its smaller size, you gain something different in other new controls. Just be sure to also get a second spare battery.
01-16-2020, 02:09 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I shot with a K20D for a number of years, and enjoyed it. Then went on to the K-5 series and still sometimes use my K-5 IIs. I've had the KP for nearly 2 years now. I can assure you, coming from the K20D to the KP will bring some very pleasant surprises. However, the two are very different in many ways. The controls are especially different, which is an adventure in discovery. What you will lose due to its smaller size, you gain something different in other new controls. Just be sure to also get a second spare battery.
My KP will be delivered today Thank you for hind with spare battery, do you think the extra grip with battery is a necessity? They for £199 on amazon and I'm thinking if it's worth it? Cheers
01-18-2020, 02:46 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My KP will be delivered today Thank you for hind with spare battery, do you think the extra grip with battery is a necessity? They for £199 on amazon and I'm thinking if it's worth it? Cheers
That depends on each individual, the lenses they use, and the type of shooting needs. I bought the battery grip, even though I just use it occasionally. But when I do need it I am glad to have it. Usually, just a spare battery does well enough. Small to carry and easy to pop in. That takes care of the less shooting time problem that may arise. But sometimes at certain events I want a longer shooting time without being interrupted by battery changing. And/or, if needing more gripping surface for prolonged camera-in-hand periods, that is holding not shooting, especially with use of heavier lenses. It also features duplicate controls for extensive vertical shooting. The price is not bad for a battery grip of an upper class camera. The weight with the battery grip is abut the same as the K-3 II without one, yet the KP will then potentially have far more battery life than will the K-3 II.

---------- Post added 01-18-20 at 02:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
So, the story is that my daughter appropriated my beloved K-70 so I wanted to get another one until I ran into a crazy deal on the KP. It's not that I expect it to be thàt much different from the k-70 but it definitely IS exciting to actually hold a new (to me, that is) model in my hands! Battery is charging and for tomorrow I've paired it with "the Beast", as my Sigma 85mm/f1.4 tends to be called around the house. Weather for tomorrow is typical Dutch overcast/gloomy/grey but let's see what I can capture just to get a feel for this body.

(shot on my phone)
speaking of grips-

Nice photo of your new KP with the "Beasty" Sigma lens. Upon scrutiny, I notice with some amazement that you are using the largest grip attached instead of the mid or small-size grips, but it is also clear that is not the same largest grip as the one of three supplied normally with the KP!! It looks to be a better one, in fact. It does not slope in at the top, but instead affords a more secure positioning of the fingers, it would seem. I would be interested as to information pertaining to that grip and its availability!

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-18-2020 at 07:55 PM.
01-18-2020, 03:03 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Nice photo of your new KP with the "Beasty" Sigma lens. Upon scrutiny, I notice with some amazement that you are using the largest grip attached instead of the mid or small-size grips, but it is also clear that is not the same largest grip as the one off three supplied normally with the KP!! It looks to be a better one, in fact. It does not slope in at the top, but instead affords a more secure positioning of the fingers, it would seem. I would be interested as to information pertaining to that grip and its availability!
Hate to disappoint you but it was just the bog standard one that came in the box, the largest of the three supplied.
01-18-2020, 08:35 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Hate to disappoint you but it was just the bog standard one that came in the box, the largest of the three supplied.
Yeah, I see now. I got mine out, and realize it's just the angle of view making it look like the top of the grip is squared off, straight up from the bottom instead of sloped back. A straight-up design would have allowed room for a finger notch in the grip.
01-21-2020, 07:32 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Yeah, I see now. I got mine out, and realize it's just the angle of view making it look like the top of the grip is squared off, straight up from the bottom instead of sloped back. A straight-up design would have allowed room for a finger notch in the grip.
I got mine KP last Friday and largest Grip is also my preferable choice, it is very comfortable. I'm a girl with standard size hands I guess haha, but I found small one horrible!
01-30-2020, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got mine KP last Friday and largest Grip is also my preferable choice, it is very comfortable. I'm a girl with standard size hands I guess haha, but I found small one horrible!
If you have and use a very small lens, like a compact prime lens for instance, you might find handling with the smallest grip to be quite neat. One that comes to mind is the DA 21mm Limited. Other DA Limiteds are likewise easy to handle with the small grip, such as the 15mm, 40mm, and 70mm lenses. The FA limiteds, 43mm and 77mm are also great with the small lens. I even prefer it with the 20-40mm Limited zoom lens. It may take some acclimating if you are used to a bulky grip, but after that, when using small lenses you might find the larger grip is ok but not needed, so you get more sense of overall compactness.

There's a more common kit-type amazingly small zoom lens that would be very well-suited also, the DA 18-50mm f/4-5.6 DC WR RE lens.

The more versatile, superior-built DA 18-135mm would handle better with the larger grip, though it is indeed still compact for a lens of its zoom range.

Congrats! And if you sometimes shoot JPEG images, the KP does an exceptional job right out of the camera. Just be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus. Any problem with doing that, just give a shout.
01-31-2020, 04:02 AM   #27
Pentaxian

If you have and use a very small lens, like a compact prime lens for instance, you might find handling with the smallest grip to be quite neat. One that comes to mind is the DA 21mm Limited. Other DA Limiteds are likewise easy to handle with the small grip, such as the 15mm, 40mm, and 70mm lenses. The FA limiteds, 43mm and 77mm are also great with the small lens. I even prefer it with the 20-40mm Limited zoom lens. It may take some acclimating if you are used to a bulky grip, but after that, when using small lenses you might find the larger grip is ok but not needed, so you get more sense of overall compactness.

There's a more common kit-type amazingly small zoom lens that would be very well-suited also, the DA 18-50mm f/4-5.6 DC WR RE lens.

The more versatile, superior-built DA 18-135mm would handle better with the larger grip, though it is indeed still compact for a lens of its zoom range.

Congrats! And if you sometimes shoot JPEG images, the KP does an exceptional job right out of the camera. Just be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus. Any problem with doing that, just give a shout.
Thank you so much