Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I'd recommend immediately starting with the large grip just to keep it as similar to the K-5IIs as possible while on your trip.
Exactly what I was thinking.

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Just a thought - does a camera with wifi need some plastic in its body shell construction to allow the passage of radio signals?
I hadn't thought about that, but I'm sure you're right. Way to nail it MrB1.

01-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Hmmm......... a KP II? Not a bad thought. Maybe with some of the pixie dust from the K-new.
I would love a KP II too. Compact and very capable body with a killer look!
01-08-2020, 03:58 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Just a thought - does a camera with wifi need some plastic in its body shell construction to allow the passage of radio signals?
While a sealed metal container would not work, looking at mobile phones, there's an amazing amount of RF technology that works with rather constraint antenna design, often with a conductive aluminum back and a display, which also needs (thin & narrow) conductive films.
01-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Just get your primary presets as you want them on the third dial and then if you hit the wrong button on occasion, ou just go back to your personal default. I own both and the KP is pretty amazing.

01-08-2020, 07:27 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having finally been able to use one a little, I have to agree it's a very nice camera, and the compact size is nice.
01-08-2020, 07:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I find that I have the battery grip on most of the time, even when I use my limited lenses. Strange, but since some of my other lenses have Power zoom, the extra weight helps balance things out a bit.
01-09-2020, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I find that I have the battery grip on most of the time, even when I use my limited lenses. Strange, but since some of my other lenses have Power zoom, the extra weight helps balance things out a bit.
Between the cost of an airline ticket, a passport, a KP (used), a DA 16-85mm (hopefully used), and a DA* 60-250mm (used), my mind is melting. I couldn't possibly justify the cost of a battery grip, unless my wife's boss wins the lottery, since he says he'll share with his employees. I don't currently own any WR lenses, and the weather in Newfoundland is often lousy apparently. I'll at least need the 16-85 to use in place of my fair weather Sigma 17-70. I am considering renting. Fortunately my sister is covering the cost of the hotel and rental car.

01-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Usually, the primary consideration for a travel kit is to have a light but capable ensemble. The battery grip would normally be out of place in such circumstances, but everyone'e priorities are different. I have premium lenses, but in this case I'd be tempted to take my DA 18-135mm along with my DA 15mm Limited, then perhaps the DA HD 55-300mm f/4-5.8 compact tele zoom. Then maybe a fast prime like the FA 35mm f/2. All of the above are very capable, especially if used within a certain FL range when optimum quality is the issue.

There are a number of compact options. The above, but with the DA 20-40mm Limited as the core lens. Another is with the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM instead.
01-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Usually, the primary consideration for a travel kit is to have a light but capable ensemble. The battery grip would normally be out of place in such circumstances, but everyone'e priorities are different. I have premium lenses, but in this case I'd be tempted to take my DA 18-135mm along with my DA 15mm Limited, then perhaps the DA HD 55-300mm f/4-5.8 compact tele zoom. Then maybe a fast prime like the FA 35mm f/2. All of the above are very capable, especially if used within a certain FL range when optimum quality is the issue.
I'm fairly happy with that exact travel kit, except that the 55-300mm is now the PLM version, since i drowned my HD DA WR one (still works, but I need to clean the 2nd lens).
01-10-2020, 05:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Between the cost of an airline ticket, a passport, a KP (used), a DA 16-85mm (hopefully used), and a DA* 60-250mm (used), my mind is melting. I couldn't possibly justify the cost of a battery grip, unless my wife's boss wins the lottery, since he says he'll share with his employees. I don't currently own any WR lenses, and the weather in Newfoundland is often lousy apparently. I'll at least need the 16-85 to use in place of my fair weather Sigma 17-70. I am considering renting. Fortunately my sister is covering the cost of the hotel and rental car.
KP battery grip price is a real hurdle which kept me away from it for the moment