Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KP recorded pixels

I am seriously considering getting a KP for an upcoming trip to Newfoundland in early Summer. Needless to say, there are many considerations for this once-in-a-lifetime trip. One of the main ones for me is camera gear to take. I have read the KP in-depth review and downloaded the KP user manual. For now, I'd like to keep this post narrowly focused on just two issues:

1. After reading the above and searching here on PF for 'KP recorded pixels' I'm not finding what I want to know. The manual says the recorded pixels can be set for L, M, S, and XS. I assume L is 'large' (24mp). What are the mp numbers for the other settings? (I'm used to seeing 16, 10, 6, and 2 on my K-5IIs.)

2. How difficult/easy is it to transition from the K-5 family user interface to the KP interface. It looks to me like it is quite different in some ways, similar in others.

I will be seeking other advice about this trip in the future, with different talking points.

01-07-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1) The corresponding sizes are 24,14,6 and 2

2)I recently moved from a K5ii to the KP and one of my main concerns was the lack of top plate LCD but after about a month I can say I really don't miss it. The customisabilty of the dials and buttons is really useful.
I use back button focus and the position is slightly higher on the KP and to start with I was hitting the green button by mistake, but a bit of practise soon cures that.It is also possible to disable the green button which also helped.

The menus are fairly similar and overall I found the transition reasonably easy and intuitive.

Any other questions please ask.
01-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Pentax KP Review: Digital Photography Review
01-07-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I "moved" indirectly from K-5 to K-1 to KP. The K-5 has more direct physical controls combined with less features, making the interface simpler and slightly quicker to use. The KP adds a ton of features but has less physical space for UI elements. It still keeps a fairly consistent layout and, through customization to the photographers typical use, within easy reach. For details, see Pentax KP Review - User Interface | PentaxForums.com Reviews. Honestly, the most annoying change may be the different position of ">" (aligned with K-50 ff., K-3 ...), when you use both cameras in parallel, which I do occasionally.

01-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
The corresponding sizes are 24,14,6 and 2
Thanks. All useful for different purposes.

one of my main concerns was the lack of top plate LCD but after about a month I can say I really don't miss it.
Yes, I use the top plate on my K-5IIs all the time, but figured I could get used to not having it, especially since the KP has a flippy back screen. I wasn't crazy about the anemic GN6 flash on the KP either, but its high ISO capability compensates for that I suppose.

I use back button focus and the position is slightly higher on the KP and to start with I was hitting the green button by mistake
Actually this suits me just fine. I've often wished the AF button was higher on my K-5.

Thanks for the review link MrB1. It was helpful.

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I "moved" indirectly from K-5 to K-1 to KP. The K-5 has more direct physical controls combined with less features, making the interface simpler and slightly quicker to use. The KP adds a ton of features but has less physical space for UI elements.
I've had my K-5IIs for about a year now and have grown accustomed to where everything is. The KP will be a new learning experience. If I do get one, I'll want to spend considerable time with it before I leave on my trip.
01-07-2020, 07:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I move also from K-5 to KP and I have not find any function that I miss.
Great KP
01-07-2020, 08:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I move also from K-5 to KP and I have not find any function that I miss.
Glad to get your opinion, thanks.

01-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would not be surprised if they keep the KP as a line and bring out upgrades
01-07-2020, 08:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I would not be surprised if they keep the KP as a line and bring out upgrades
Hmmm......... a KP II? Not a bad thought. Maybe with some of the pixie dust from the K-new.
01-07-2020, 08:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Hmmm......... a KP II? Not a bad thought. Maybe with some of the pixie dust from the K-new
absolutely yes.
01-08-2020, 01:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I've had my K-5IIs for about a year now and have grown accustomed to where everything is. The KP will be a new learning experience. If I do get one, I'll want to spend considerable time with it before I leave on my trip.
It's a wonderful little camera, with a lot of improvements over the K-5 (II), even if it lacks the "built like a tank" feel of the top line in some places. With a little practice, this will be a smooth transition - just alternating between them throws off my "muscle memory" at times.
01-08-2020, 04:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I agree with JensE, post #4 - if you use both the K-5 (or II or IIs) and the KP, the most annoying PITA is the different location of the image playback button.

Philip
01-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
It's a wonderful little camera, with a lot of improvements over the K-5 (II), even if it lacks the "built like a tank" feel of the top line in some places.
If you read the DP Review that MrB1 linked to above, the reviewer remarks 'Pick the KP up, and its heft and build quality make it feel 'bulletproof,' even if there are plastics used in its construction.' I guess is all relative to what you are comparing it to. I've never owned an entry-level or mid-level Pentax, only the K10D and K-5IIs. There's certainly nothing chintzy about either one of them. From everything I've read, the KP will not disappoint as far as perceived build quality goes.

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
the different location of the image playback button.
At least it has its own assigned button, so no need to program an FX button for this function.
01-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The ergonomics of the KP take a few days to get used to. I'd recommend immediately starting with the large grip just to keep it as similar to the K-5IIs as possible while on your trip.

Otherwise the dials and buttons are very logically laid out. Your fingers just naturally rest where you want them to be.
01-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The build quality of Pentax DSLR bodies seems excellent to me. Even those which have a polycarbonate shell over their stainless steel chassis (e.g. the K-70) have that same bulletproof feel.

Just a thought - does a camera with wifi need some plastic in its body shell construction to allow the passage of radio signals?

Philip