Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2020, 08:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

KP size - is it really smaller ?

I own and am very happy with my K5iis, however it is getting a bit long in the tooth.
Occasionally I read how ergonomic and comfortable is the small size factor of the KP - a camera I admire and have considered upgrading to for its updated sensor and - - - for its small size.
However, when I look at the specs of the two cameras, it appears that the KP is actually not smaller than the K5iis...
So if i want to upgrade, however great the KP is, i just may decide to wait for the new (crop sensor) camera rumored to be coming out later this year...
Thoughts ?

01-11-2020, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It *feels* smaller. It *packs* smaller. The absolute numbers don't tell the whole story. Yes, I've owned two K-5's and a K-5 IIs.

And it's a *much* better camera in nearly every respect.
01-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K-P is only lighter than the K-5. And it has a smaller battery so less battery life.
01-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
answering my own question

QuoteOriginally posted by habsfanusa Quote
I own and am very happy with my K5iis, however it is getting a bit long in the tooth.
Occasionally I read how ergonomic and comfortable is the small size factor of the KP - a camera I admire and have considered upgrading to for its updated sensor and - - - for its small size.
However, when I look at the specs of the two cameras, it appears that the KP is actually not smaller than the K5iis...
So if i want to upgrade, however great the KP is, i just may decide to wait for the new (crop sensor) camera rumored to be coming out later this year...
Thoughts ?
answering my own question: (taken from the official reviews on this site)
K5iis: 130.5 x 96.5 x 72.5
KP: 131.5 x 101 x 76

Not sure what 'feels' or 'packs' smaller means - - does this refer to the absence of the deep right-sided grip on the K5iis ?

Thanks.

01-11-2020, 09:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Handle one. You'll understand.
01-12-2020, 12:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The dimensions are the maximum on each side. If you look at the comparison on Camera Size, you'll see that the KP is a bit smaller than the K-5iis.
01-12-2020, 01:11 AM   #7
Forum Member

Made the same transition you are considering. KP is definitely smaller despite what you think from the specs. The max height, width and depth are the same, but the volume of the KP is greatly reduced from the K5

01-12-2020, 01:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don’t expect the new APS-C camera to be smaller than a K-5, just much better.
01-12-2020, 02:39 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

I did the step K-5II --> KP almost two years ago and the KP feels to be smaller. It is also much better in almost every aspect.

Compare camera dimensions side by side
01-12-2020, 03:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian

There are three obvious factors which are smaller for the KP compared with the K-5 series:-
The KP has the lower shoulder height (i.e. ignoring the dials on top);
Even with its largest grip attached, the KP's grip is much smaller;
The KP is 57g (2 ounces) lighter.
These differences combine to make the KP look and feel significantly smaller than its overall linear dimensions might suggest.

Philip
01-12-2020, 04:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Recently moved from K5ii to KP and the KP is definitely slightly lighter and feels a bit smaller/less "chunky".
01-12-2020, 05:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

KP is less bulky than K5ii, I own both and unconscious feeling is that KP is much smaller than it actually is. Numbers dont really back up this feeling though
01-12-2020, 06:41 AM   #13
Forum Member

I have both, the KP feels smaller because of the grip even with the largest one fitted. It`s one helluva camera though and quite a step up from the K5 series.
01-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The published heights reflect the viewfinder housing of both, but the KP has a high, peaked prism while the K5-lls is flat. The KP body itself is actually noticeably shorter - look at the shoulder heights in the attached comparison at CameraSize.com.

Front View

Also, the depth reflects the K5-lls prism, which sticks out farther than the KP, as well as the full grip on K-5lls.
Change the view for both to left side view. Notice the KP body itself is not as deep as K-5lls.
01-12-2020, 12:02 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
Compared to my K7 it definitely feels smaller. I attribute that to a smaller "left hand" space left of the lens and left side dials. I change between the medium and large grips, which I think is actually really neat in concept, and I like the ergonomics for your thumb.