Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2020, 08:39 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went to the store and handled a KP to answer this question for myself.

Honestly, the KP is essentially the same size as the K5 -- but with the big grip shorn off the K5. Handling and seeing the KP in real life, you recognize how much of the KP actually directly carries over from the K7-->K3 body style.

I do think it makes for a "subjectively" smaller camera in the hand, But the K7-->K3 body style was always "compact" and "dense" compared to the blobby empty plastic cameras from Nikon and Canon. So the "compactness" of the KP vs the K5 is already part of the DNA.

01-15-2020, 06:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also have both and still use the K-5 IIs, though not as much as the KP. The KP's design is what I'd call "svelte" by comparison. Actually, the K-5 itself is compact for its class of camera. The KP is 2 oz. lighter, which doesn't seem significant, but in actual use it is noticeable. Same with its slimness. The KP is also about 4 oz. less than a K-3 II, when comparing 24mp designs.

I suspect the forthcoming flagship will probably be at least the size and weight of the K-3 II. It will have to be somewhat larger in size to offer the new type of controls as well as a top LCD like the K-1.
02-02-2020, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

A direct visual comparison shows how the measurements match up ... the extra frame around the LCD for the hinge and tilt capability means that there's less real estate at the right-hand end of the KP to get a good grip when a long lens is fitted!

Despite the K-5 (on the right) being fractionally less wide, there's actually more to get hold of!
02-03-2020, 06:06 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
there's less real estate at the right-hand end of the KP to get a good grip when a long lens is fitted!
You're holding it wrong. With a long lens, you should be supporting most of the weight with your left hand holding the lens. You'll achieve better stability and sharper photos, regardless of the size of the camera body. It's like the difference between shooting a handgun or a rifle: cell phones and P&S are handguns, SLRs are rifles (esp with long lenses).

02-03-2020, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
You're holding it wrong. With a long lens, you should be supporting most of the weight with your left hand holding the lens. You'll achieve better stability and sharper photos, regardless of the size of the camera body. It's like the difference between shooting a handgun or a rifle: cell phones and P&S are handguns, SLRs are rifles (esp with long lenses).
Support the weight with the left hand certainly, but when panning with a subject or simply trying to hold things together in a breeze, a firm grip with the other hand is very comforting.

Unfortunately, with the KP, and even more so with the K-70, taking a firm grip, especially in a hurry, often involves grabbing a thumb-full of control buttons ... really distracting having the various settings flashing away just below my eyeline when I'm trying to concentrate on a subject. Even more disappointing when I find the "drive" selection has changed to "multiple exposure" and I've got three beautifully framed shots all on top of each other

Last edited by kypfer; 02-03-2020 at 08:57 AM.
02-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just checked on the Camerasize dot com website and...guess what?
The KP is 131.5mm long.
And the K-5 is....'only' 131mm long---
Obviously with the bigger grip it may look and feel bigger---
But my KP feels truly tiny and svelte next to my old K200d...which by the way was 'only' 133.5mm long.
Go figure
02-15-2020, 11:04 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K5 line up seem to have more protection up top so it is a bit heavier.

KP

K5