Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2020, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #1

Focus adjustment using Manual Lenses in U4 mode

After having used a K 20D until a month ago, I now own a KP. Quite a step, or more than just 'one'.

Because of the abillities of the KP in poor-light situations, I'm about to use a SMC A 50mm 1.4 manual lens. In search of 'how to's', I read in a thread elsewhere on this forum, the K3 has a abillity to adjust the focus inside the camera. I wondered where to find this on my KP?

Under U4 the camera is set for M-lenses, from factory, but which adjustments are done? Where do I find the focus callibration settings on a KP? Anyone of you out there who can tell me the menu-number? Or anyone who has a 'how to' in callibrating the focus adjustments?

My printed manual is in Dutch and not all English menu-items are translated. However I kept my menu-settings all in English, since I'm used to those settings on other equipment aswell.

01-22-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
Forum Member

I have a K3, I am now aware of any ability to adjust the focus inside the camera. I know nothing concerning the KP though. The K3 has the ability to be set up to highlight focused areas when using the back of camera LCD scree. On the K3 it is found on the number 3 tab under Live View, if you turn focus peaking on you will see a white halo around the items that are in focus. Hope this helps.
01-22-2020, 04:37 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLapin Quote
Because of the abillities of the KP in poor-light situations, I'm about to use a SMC A 50mm 1.4 manual lens. In search of 'how to's', I read in a thread elsewhere on this forum, the K3 has a abillity to adjust the focus inside the camera. I wondered where to find this on my KP?
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The KP has a similar feature that is set using the custom menus (C4 -- > 23. AF Fine Adjust). If you feel one of your AF lenses is focusing in front of or behind the intended plane of focus, that is where adjustments are made.

That aside, one cannot do per lens fine adjustment for non-AF lenses, so your Pentax-A 50/1.4 cannot take advantage of that feature. Focus confirm and CIF (catch-in-focus) with manual focus lenses both use the global AF settings that apply to all lenses.*

Under U4 the camera is set for M-lenses, from factory, but which adjustments are done? Where do I find the focus callibration settings on a KP? Anyone of you out there who can tell me the menu-number? Or anyone who has a 'how to' in callibrating the focus adjustments?
The menu setting as you find them for U4 are the factory settings. Page 108 in the user manual (English) has details on what settings are included. To see the current settings for a U4 use the Check Saved Settings feature under Menu --> Rec Mode 5 --> Save User Mode.

Steve

* The reason is that with very few exceptions, manual focus lenses don't have the special data contact that AF lenses use to communicate a unique lens identifier to the camera so that it can associate the lens with a fine-tune setting.

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-22-2020 at 07:26 PM.
01-23-2020, 07:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both for your input.

@Mundj

Your answer set me on the track to search on 'adjust focus inside camera'+pentax kp. The best result was a Ricoh-Pentax page, explaning how focusing accuracy on DSLRs (including KP and K3). Interesting page, but not the answer to my question. Well worth reading, though.

The second half a your input refers to the Superimpose function. Not what I ment, but something intend to explore later on.

Thanks though, because now I found the right Ricoh Pentax pages, to hunt for more instruction info on my KP! (Pages I never got to on the pentax.nl - site. The co.jp website has far more detailed info and downloads. My tip for today, if you're not familiar with RICOH IMAGING | Explore

@ stevebrot

So this is where the topic I referred to in my opening post was about. AF Fine Adjustment.

After reading the KP page on the Ricoh Pentax site, if found just what you explained aswell. AF Fine Adjustment is found in menu C4. The how to in adjusting the focus is being explained there too.

Your point made on the use of a manual lens is taken!

So my idea is to program a setting specifically for this 50 mm 1.4 lens, which makes it easy to switch to, after changing from a DA to that lens.

For anyone who didn't know the excistence of full support pages by Pentax, you'll find lot's of manuals, prospects etc. here.

01-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

So my idea is to program a setting specifically for this 50 mm 1.4 lens, which makes it easy to switch to, after changing from a DA to that lens.
You may be able to do it as a global AF fine adjust change assigned to one of the "U" modes.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-23-2020 at 09:27 AM.
01-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hello Steve,

I saved the U4 personal settings including the AF Fine Adjustments. After switching from U4 to other settings and back, the AF Fine Adjustments come back as saved.

So it works!

Nick
01-23-2020, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Well, after all the best way to focus manually is to focus manually! When using a MF lens I tend to return to the techniques I used with my MF film cameras before there was AF or any focus indicator. I do note when the camera indicates a focus confirmation, but I do not go by that totally unless the speed of instantaneous shutter release is necessary. My main attention is on what my eye is telling me. In my case, I don't require a split-screen bullseye to achieve focus- the matte screen will do fine.

Overriding what the camera thinks is good focus is the reason Pentax came up with the "quick shift" feature found on many DA lenses.
01-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Well, after all the best way to focus manually is to focus manually!
Yep! The problem with focus confirmation and CIF is one of precision. This is obvious when one notices how much rotation of the focus ring is needed to make the green hexagon go out again.

Steve

01-30-2020, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

You might find this article, posted a few days ago, helpful:Achieving Better Manual Focus with the Green Hexagon - PentaxForums.com
01-31-2020, 04:51 AM   #10

Original Poster
I Find this very helpfull! Thanks a lot