Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #46
Veteran Member

I enjoy shoot my K3's greatly. I didn't at first but they have grown on me, I have been tempted to get a KP, but I enjoy the K3's ergonomics, heft, dual card slots, grips etc so I don't. I do wish they would just keep the K3 style... and fit with an improved sensor like the Kp and I would be sold...Incremental improvements work fine for me, and probably would save Pentax a boat load of cash. One of the flaws I see in most camera mfg's is they redesign too much. But what do I know. I just know what i want in a camera, They are the ones that have to put together all our wants and needs into a camera we won't complain about more than we already do.
al

02-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riddler Quote
Don’t know why someone is impressed about the K3. I found it so terrible at higher iso
The KP beats the K3 more than a mile
Dual card slot, 1/8000 shutter speed, top screen lcd, ergonomics for big hands, burst rate, immensly bigger buffer, faster sd write speeds vs more modern electronics (less noise for high iso), more compact size and tilting screen.
If the k3 would be modernized (k_new) it will be beat by smaller size and maybe (looking at the prototypes) the tilting screen only.
For me, as I usually shoot in light where I can afford ISO1600 or lower and having great knees, the k3 is a nobrainer compared to the kp. For others its the other way around.
02-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
I enjoy shoot my K3's greatly. I didn't at first but they have grown on me, I have been tempted to get a KP, but I enjoy the K3's ergonomics, heft, dual card slots, grips etc so I don't.
That's why many of us are in no hurry to upgrade. With the K-5 they went from "this really needs to get better" ( in the K-20D and K-10 and K-7) to "90% of the time this is more than I need." The K-3 raised that to probably 95% and the K-1 to 96% and K-P also 96% but a different 96%. The law of diminishing returns has definitely set in.

---------- Post added 02-06-20 at 12:20 PM ----------

Don’t know why someone is impressed about the K3. I found it so terrible at higher iso
The KP beats the K3 more than a mile
It's an issue for sure. The biggest disappointment with the K-3 was noise at high ISO. And for what I do, the high ISO is definitely an area of improvement addressed by the K-P. Unfortunately they shrunk the buffer and reduced the FPS, so the choice becomes a trade off. I get tired of only being able to shoot the K-3 when the suns out because of it's high ISO performance, but for me, I have my K-1 and a 600mm ƒ4 combo (Tamron 300mm and @X TC so I do have other options.)

But of course, I have no idea which way that trade-off would would work out for me, lower frame rate, smaller buffer, against better high ISO performance, so I sit pat.

Last edited by normhead; 02-06-2020 at 10:21 AM.
02-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #49
Site Supporter

My best Pentax was the K5 II S And the Kp. Had the k3 one day en quickly returned. What a disappointment at higher iso
The KP is a real gem

02-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have my K-1 and a 600mm ƒ4 combo (Tamron 300mm and @X TC so I do have other options.)
You have a 300 f2?

02-06-2020, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

My best Pentax was the K5 II S And the Kp. Had the k3 one day en quickly returned. What a disappointment at higher iso
The KP is a real gem
I have to wonder if maybe you just had a bad one.

al
02-06-2020, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP is indeed a real gem. It is not flagship style, but has its own niche. I love mine. The forthcoming new APS-C flagship will be here to satisfy those who want the quality advantages now offered in the KP but also need or want the flagship features and controls the KP lacks. I see no conflict, no comparisons needed. I think both are desirable for different reasons. I believe both are a good thing for the Pentax line. For many, the KP is all that is needed in a finely-built but relatively compact body, and yields amazingly fine results, even right out of the camera.

02-06-2020, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Except small compact size. With the accelerator chip the K-P is even about the same for noise at high ISOs as the K-1. SO why would anyone carry all that extra weight, and carry 3 heavier lenses for the K-1 lenses for the same range of focal length as 2 lighter lenses on the K-1.

K-1 - 24-70, 70-210, 150-450
TO match the equivalent focal length.KP - 16-85 and DA 55-300

If you want, add up the weights and volumes to see why you'd use a K-P.

My K-1 is a fine landscape camera, but it doesn't replace my K-3, and it wouldn't replace my K-P if I had one. The K-P should I find the K-new is in some way inadequate will replace my K-3. On the other hand, with it's improved noise characteristic, a K-P could very easily replace my K-1, especially on long canoe trips and hiking trips where every ounce is measured. Especially since for my own use, printing up to 42" wide and 99% displayed on a 55" Samsung 4k QLED I've never been able to justify the file size of my K-1. The K-1 is still with me because of it's dynamic range for sunsets, and even then, it's rare it makes a difference.

IN the real world, side by side images taken with my K-1 and my wife's K-5 are indistinguishable by any standard I've come up with.
I've shot concerts and weddings with the K-1 and KP and all the files just get copied to one directory for sorting and culling. 99% of the time I'm guessing which camera took which shot, the KP is that good.

Where it falls down and is easier to tell the difference is the crop vs full frame factor side of things. Using a f4 lens on the KP turns that aperture effectively to f6 for DoF comparison with what the K-1 really does with f4, so at times the KP can have a 'stopped down' look. The KP loves fast glass, give it some f1.8/2 (f2.7-3 equivalent which is wide enough imo for decent subject isolation) and it shines and is really hard to tell apart from a K-1. If my K-1 died I'd be tempted to replace with a KP so I have two KP's till the next FF camera appears, it's that good a camera. The only thing that leaves me feeling nervous is the lack of dual card slots for professional events.

I do think the new crop sensor camera due this year will be superb, it could be that becomes my backup to the K-1 and the KP sold on. That would be a sad day as I have enjoyed the little guy very much.

But yes, I totally agree with you, IQ, noise etc the KP is really hard to tell the difference from images captured with the K-1.
02-06-2020, 01:07 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The KP is a real gem
Since I own all three of these presently, I will say that I use the K-3ii for outdoor rugged events; the K-5ii for indoor or sports and the KP as an all around traveler. To me, the K-5ii is the epitome of Pentax engineering. Everything works well on that camera; and yes, as a prosumer, a fill-in flash Is usually all I need for augmenting light with the speed of these bodies. ALso, the color rendition of the K-5ii's 16.1 mp sensor is a dream.

I guess, to distill my response to you Riddler: all of these cameras have their virtues....that's why I keep them all....
02-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Except small compact size. With the accelerator chip the K-P is even about the same for noise at high ISOs as the K-1. SO why would anyone carry all that extra weight, and carry 3 heavier lenses for the K-1 lenses for the same range of focal length as 2 lighter lenses on the K-1.

K-1 - 24-70, 70-210, 150-450
TO match the equivalent focal length.KP - 16-85 and DA 55-300

If you want, add up the weights and volumes to see why you'd use a K-P.
My comparison with same anle of view at the longer end is similar ...

Pentax KP plus DA55-300PLM: ~700g + ~470g = ~1.170g
Pentax K-1 plus DFA150-450: ~1.040g + ~2.300g = ~3.340g

It's clear: KP plus DA55-300PLM plus one or two wider angle lenses usually is my hiking and travel camera. But when weight doesn't matter I take the K-1. Love it's ergonomics, screen, functionality and of course very high IQ.
02-06-2020, 01:31 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
You have a 300 f2?

Ya ,ya, you know what I have, I can't get away with nothing around here.

So, ya, it's ƒ5.6 but since my target aperture is ƒ8 it usually doesn't matter much. It just focuses better.
02-07-2020, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, I would not get rid of my KP, even if the new APS-C body proves to be an irresistible upgrade over the KP, or even over my K-5 IIs. I do like having a K-5 IIs style available with on-body dedicated controls, such as the optical DOF preview switch and a couple of others, when I need what this design offers. But I also like having the more svelte but sturdy designed body of the KP when getting around, while still producing superb IQ. My statements regarding the flagship style APS-C and the KP hold true even if I should also get a K-1, or its successor. For me, the KP is here to stay!
02-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Actually, I would not get rid of my KP, even if the new APS-C body proves to be an irresistible upgrade over the KP, or even over my K-5 IIs. I do like having a K-5 IIs style available with on-body dedicated controls, such as the optical DOF preview switch and a couple of others, when I need what this design offers. But I also like having the more svelte but sturdy designed body of the KP when getting around, while still producing superb IQ. My statements regarding the flagship style APS-C and the KP hold true even if I should also get a K-1, or its successor. For me, the KP is here to stay!
If u can afford, hold onto it by all means, sadly for this tog often with something new coming in something old has to go out to help fund the change.

You're speculating a lot on what the new crop may or may not be able to do, but KP will absolutely do something different that the new crop body seems to omit, which is a tilting screen. I actually take this to being a very positive and bold move on Pentax's behalf. It says to me they are working on a camera that is geared less to the landscaper and more towards the OVF shooter (and it will be a hybrid OVF/EVF as well I believe?). Hopefully this translates to a camera that is geared towards a difference purpose, action, wildlife, portrait, anything that is basically done without having the camera down close to the ground. Fortunately for me I have the K-1 and its tilt screen so I am covered very well for landscape stuff, I would love a camera with better AF, fps, buffer etc as that is missing in every Pentax body currently. So I don't see the KP being dusted compared to the new crop coming out, I see them as ying and yang and the owner should choose the right camera for the job.
02-09-2020, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
If u can afford, hold onto it by all means, sadly for this tog often with something new coming in something old has to go out to help fund the change.

You're speculating a lot on what the new crop may or may not be able to do, but KP will absolutely do something different that the new crop body seems to omit, which is a tilting screen. I actually take this to being a very positive and bold move on Pentax's behalf. It says to me they are working on a camera that is geared less to the landscaper and more towards the OVF shooter (and it will be a hybrid OVF/EVF as well I believe?). Hopefully this translates to a camera that is geared towards a difference purpose, action, wildlife, portrait, anything that is basically done without having the camera down close to the ground. Fortunately for me I have the K-1 and its tilt screen so I am covered very well for landscape stuff, I would love a camera with better AF, fps, buffer etc as that is missing in every Pentax body currently. So I don't see the KP being dusted compared to the new crop coming out, I see them as ying and yang and the owner should choose the right camera for the job.
The new APS-C model, I figure, is likely to have a tilting screen and also controls along the lines of the K-1, similar to the KP- a current trend with Pentax, it seems, and which is again unique among DSLR designs. But the one main aspect the new model will definitely omit that the KP offers, will be the modular capability to remain a lighter, less bulky, more compact form to complement smaller lenses, and for more convenient portability, while still able to expand to a suitable form for heavy-duty use. I find this aspect to be of great importance for me. The new model will no doubt sport dedicated controls in place of the sometimes dual-purpose design of the KP, since the size and weight factor are not of such concern. It will also offer the 2-card slots, deeper buffer, etc. that are important to some. Therefore, each will have its occasions of preference, depending on the circumstances- very much like the relationship I now enjoy with the KP and my K-5 IIs. When the new one arrives, it will be this that is the main difference, along with price, that make both important to have in the Pentax lineup.

The tilting screen is indeed a very useful feature, and better than the swing-out type when it comes to situations like macro shots where the space is tight.
02-09-2020, 11:06 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The new APS-C model, I figure, is likely to have a tilting screen and also controls along the lines of the K-1, similar to the KP- a current trend with Pentax, it seems, and which is again unique among DSLR designs. But the one main aspect the new model will definitely omit that the KP offers, will be the modular capability to remain a lighter, less bulky, more compact form to complement smaller lenses, and for more convenient portability, while still able to expand to a suitable form for heavy-duty use. I find this aspect to be of great importance for me. The new model will no doubt sport dedicated controls in place of the sometimes dual-purpose design of the KP, since the size and weight factor are not of such concern. It will also offer the 2-card slots, deeper buffer, etc. that are important to some. Therefore, each will have its occasions of preference, depending on the circumstances- very much like the relationship I now enjoy with the KP and my K-5 IIs. When the new one arrives, it will be this that is the main difference, along with price, that make both important to have in the Pentax lineup.

The tilting screen is indeed a very useful feature, and better than the swing-out type when it comes to situations like macro shots where the space is tight.
It's my understanding that the new crop body will absolutely have no tilt screen.

Pentax NEWLY announced camera!! | Pentax 100 years event - YouTube

New Pentax 2020 Apsc Price Tag Prediction? What are your thoughts? - YouTube