Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2020, 01:37 AM   #61
Pentaxian

I am convinced that the new flagship will have a movable rear screen

02-10-2020, 01:38 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
Therefore they must have dumped the prototype completly and restarted the body design.
02-10-2020, 01:47 AM   #63
Pentaxian

And did not they mention it? Anyway, we will see ...
02-10-2020, 02:54 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What convinces you? Currently the prototype that has been doing the rounds really suggests no tilt of any kind.

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Therefore they must have dumped the prototype completly and restarted the body design.
^

And did not they mention it? Anyway, we will see ...
Well.. it has been put back on release date. Perhaps they monitor traffic and impressions and the lack of tilt screen that seems to have peeved so many Pentaxians off has made them rethink?

Who knows... all I know is that the prototype did really seem to do away with tilt screen, there was no bevel separation around the screen like on our current tilt screen models, and that is all we really know. So if taking bets I would say thus far its more in favour of looking like no touch sceen than one with. Who wastes money and funds on making a prototype body that doesn't tilt, especially for a company like Pentax that seems to have limited funds to spare...

02-10-2020, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

If K-New does not have some sort of articulated rear screen, Ricoh-Pentax will have shot themselves in the foot (or probably higher). They have already produced three different effective and WR designs from which they can choose.

Philip

Last edited by MrB1; 02-10-2020 at 06:58 AM.
02-10-2020, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
What convinces you? Currently the prototype that has been doing the rounds really suggests no tilt of any kind.

^

Well.. it has been put back on release date. Perhaps they monitor traffic and impressions and the lack of tilt screen that seems to have peeved so many Pentaxians off has made them rethink?

Who knows... all I know is that the prototype did really seem to do away with tilt screen, there was no bevel separation around the screen like on our current tilt screen models, and that is all we really know. So if taking bets I would say thus far its more in favour of looking like no touch sceen than one with. Who wastes money and funds on making a prototype body that doesn't tilt, especially for a company like Pentax that seems to have limited funds to spare...
This has become the "Mary is the Mother of God " issue on the forum. If you can't say "No tilting back screen" you get excommunicated, then burned after being tortured.

You also have to listen to all the made up reasons why you're wrong, and ignored if you propose reasons why you might be right.
The argument goes
The production model is the same as the finished model. (This actually refuted by Pentax.)

IN fact, there were no hints what changes would be made in the production model, only that they wouldn't be "major", whatever that means.
Essentially, no one is going to know for sure until we see the finished product.

It's essentially a Schrödinger's cat situation. Some can handle the ambiguity, some feel the need to rush to judgement.

My opinion would be "If it doesn't have a tilting back-screen, it's not a flagship".

Based on the surprising concept, that a flagship has all the capabilities of the other cameras and more.

Last edited by normhead; 02-10-2020 at 06:44 AM.
02-10-2020, 09:52 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote

I don't see that. The picture I saw shows a small but definite "feature" in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. Whether that's an inconvenient "hook your finger-nail in here" or a neat, if complicated "press here and I'll spring open" we'll have to wait and see

02-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I don't see that. The picture I saw shows a small but definite "feature" in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. Whether that's an inconvenient "hook your finger-nail in here" or a neat, if complicated "press here and I'll spring open" we'll have to wait and see
That has been discounted as an illusion by some one who held the prototype.
The main source of hope was because Pentax said there would be further changes, that would be minor, but they didn't specify as to what they considered "minor."

The safe bet is to wait until the camera is released to see what's on it.

I would simply find it to be irresponsible to assume there's no tilting back screen.
I asked if there was anyone who would buy from me a K-P that I bought on the assumption that the new camera has no tilting back screen. As certain as everyone claims to be, no one took me up on that challenge. But for them it's OK to speculate if it's my $1000.

There is one correct answer... we'll know when the final specs are released.

Last edited by normhead; 02-10-2020 at 10:08 AM.
02-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I wish I wasn't so drunk now and paid more attention at the Pentax 100th anniversary where the prototype was on display

I thought about that little bottom right hand corner groove and decided if it was the place to get your finger tip in to flip out the screen then it very much is going to be quite a tricky screen to flip out. I decided they wouldn't make it *that* difficult to flip a screen out, so I don't think that's it, it just looks like there is no flip out screen.

Compare the two recent models from Pentax that have a flip out screen;

Both cameras clearly show from the bezel around the screen the grooves and markings that strongly suggest the screen flips out.

And now the new camera;

It completely lacks any bezelling of any kind, any real 'hook' to pivot the screen out. Maybe you push it in the make it ping out?

Honestly I don't know... but I think it kinda looks like the rear of any camera that doesn't flip out.

Personally I'm not bothered about the idea of the new camera not having a flip out screen as long as it's strong in departments that Pentax have known to be weak in. If the camera has strong AF, strong buffer, strong fps then I think what you have here is a camera that is filling in the gaps for genres that Pentax has struggled to break into. It looks like a camera that has OVF/EVF capability and is going to be marketed less as a landscape camera but more capable in action genres such as sport, wildlife, events etc.

This I think is actually a wonderful idea, to not repeat cameras same functions and purposes again and again but to offer the fan base a variety of capable cameras to suit their shooting needs. If landscape (and thus the tilting screen) is important to you, choose a K-1 or a KP. If wildlife is your pursuit, get this. If you have deep pockets get both
02-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #70
Pentaxian

it is kind of out of topic here ;-)
02-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it is kind of out of topic here ;-)
Not really, we're still talking about the KP, the fact it has a tilt screen, offers excellent IQ, brilliant ISO etc. It's still getting praise

I'm simply saying that with the arrival of the new camera with the seemingly lack of tilt screen should not put off people from buying Pentax or supporting the KP. It's one heck of a solid camera and may just suit the landscaper more than this new model that's coming out. Much love for the KP
02-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #72
Pentaxian

the last page is only about subjective opinions whether the new flagship has the tilting screen ... endless discussion going through many threads
02-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Just saying, to me the K-P or no K-P decision is waiting for the final decision on the tilting screen.
There is a bevel around the pre-production model that isn't present on the fixed screen cameras. Those who argue "no tilting back screen" just ignore it. And, the pre-production model is guaranteed to have some changes.

Bruce may want a different APS-c camera for different purposes, I don't. I want one with my K-3 for back up. (I'm keeping my K-1, and I definitely don't need 3 bodies in my bag.)
The no tilting back screen folks just keep at it. Unfortunately, them stating their case over and over has no bearing on what will finally be.

I've been convinced by K-P shooters shooting in jpeg will be adequate for my needs and will increase my buffer size to acceptable levels, and the frame rate isn't half bad.
The K-P just looks better and better all the time. But Pentax rarely puts out new bodies that are same old same old. They put out bodies that already offer something new and that can act as a base of a mkII version with additional improvements. We're due for the big one.

But the K-P is still a very viable option. The K-new is going to have to be very good for me to buy one.

Last edited by normhead; 02-10-2020 at 02:18 PM.
02-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just saying, to me the K-P or no K-P decision is waiting for the final decision on the tilting screen.
There is a bevel around the pre-production model that isn't present on the fixed screen cameras. Those who argue "no tilting back screen" just ignore it. And, the pre-production model is guaranteed to have some changes.

Bruce may want a different APS-c camera for different purposes, I don't. I want one with my K-3 for back up. (I'm keeping my K-1, and I definitely don't need 3 bodies in my bag.)
The no tilting back screen folks just keep at it. Unfortunately, them stating their case over and over has no bearing on what will finally be.

I've been convinced by K-P shooters shooting in jpeg will be adequate for my needs and will increase my buffer size to acceptable levels, and the frame rate isn't half bad.
The K-P just looks better and better all the time. But Pentax rarely puts out new bodies that are same old same old. They put out bodies that already offer something new and that can act as a base of a mkII version with additional improvements. We're due for the big one.

But the K-P is still a very viable option. The K-new is going to have to be very good for me to buy one.
I think we need to just clarify a few things here;

1) I'm not saying that there will be no tilting screen, it's just I have been led to believe there will be none (from the images circulating) as well as opinions of others (some that are developers in different fields) that point to the contrary.

2) Would I like a tilting screen? Of course! Who doesn't! Should everyone be proved wrong and the camera has a tilt screen I will be happy to be proved wrong

3) Would a lack of tilting screen put me off? Not for me, not if there was a significant improvement in areas deemed important to me (buffer, fps, dual card, better af bla bla bla).

For you Norm you want a backup for the K-3, but you also have the K1. I have the K-1 and KP, I'm not sure I personally need 3 bodies at any one time, definitely need a backup for sure tho. If those can afford to have multiple bodies then I say good stuff! Wish I had that kinda bank balance, unfortunately in my house when something new comes in something old often has to leave.

I don't understand why everyone needs to get so defensive and polarised. Does it look like it will have a screen? Not to me... but it still might!

But armed with this speculation and information about whether it does or does not have a tilting screen has pushed the KP more into the fray, which I think is a great thing because it's a brilliant little camera. It might generate more sales and more appreciation if the K-new doesn't have a tilt screen, I think there are many users just waiting to see before making a decision which camera to get and what's going to suit their needs best.

Personally (and I have no idea if this is good sales idea or not), I would like to see more camera bodies released that are not just about 'the next flagship' but are built with the idea of fulfilling a particular group of genres well.

K-1 and KP both feel like really good landscape cameras. Both WR, both with tilting screens, both have GPS, both have pixelshift, both have astrotracer and both have 5 User Modes. I can't help but think of my KP as the K-1's son

K-70 is less landscapey with the lack of astro, but still a great introductory camera with its tilting screen and pixelshifting goodness etc.

K3ii has no tilting screen but has the dual slots and better buffer of the lot. It feels like a good 'wildlife' camera.

But why stop there? I mean... do we need every camera body to do similar things? Do they all need WR? Do they all need pixelshift, astrotracer, two card slots? etc etc.

I know this might seem crazy but recently I swapped out the K-1's stock focus screen and replaced it with a custom Canon Type S screen and now I can report that manually focusing through the OVF is much improved.

Would a FF camera that lacks AF, comes equipped with a film like focus screen, possibly a really user friendly interchangeable focus screen system, lacks WR, perhaps even lacks a rear LCD screen, but instead is priced ridiculously low (due to omitting many features) and its purpose to simply enhance the experience of using manual focus glass (which I think you can all agree Pentax has a huge line of and is a massive attractive selling point for many users) but with the benefits of digital over film (not limited to rolls of film, ISO, developing, etc etc). I dunno... just crazy me thinking out loud.

I guess all I'm saying is a camera body line up that varies one from the other isn't a bad thing necessarily as far as I can see. If K-new lets down some of its users with an omitted feature there are still plenty of other great Pentax bodies to choose instead. It's all good!
02-10-2020, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The about to be released Fuji x100V screen is quite flush....

Also... I haven't found the GPS on the KP yet....

And you push the face sensor under the viewfinder and the screen releases.... everybody knows that.
Attached Images

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-10-2020 at 10:50 PM.