Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2020, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
The about to be released Fuji x100V screen is quite flush.....
Not that I’m particularly exercised by this whole argument.....but ......the Fuji does have a visible tab on the bottom left hand corner of the screen indicating it flips out

02-11-2020, 07:50 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Not that I’m particularly exercised by this whole argument.....but ......the Fuji does have a visible tab on the bottom left hand corner of the screen indicating it flips out
I think the movable part is quite visible on the Fuji. If Pentax managed to make a moveable screen in the prototype shown, so perfectly fitted we do not see it at all, this would indicate a impressive build quality.

In the end it is a useless discussion. We have to wait and see.
02-11-2020, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have just swapped my grips over again, ....... Because I can

I am trying the small one, should be fun, so long as I don't drop it
02-11-2020, 11:39 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote

HaHa

Now I'm looking forward to a new body for my long lens work so I can revert my KP to it's svelte persona

When I'm using my "bigma" I have a neck-strap fitted to the lens, to keep the strain off the lens-mount when I'm carrying the camera. I learnt some while ago that having straps both on the lens and on the camera was a recipe for disaster, when in a hurry, so my KP has no strap fitted. I'm always very wary when I fit a shorter lens and have no strap to rely on. If I don't intend to use the big lens(es) I'll take out one of my other bodies instead

02-11-2020, 12:34 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My KP came only with the Small grip. I used it for way too long like that before buying a Large grip and using that. IMO it was a mistake by Pentax to release the KP with the Small one, it is not comfortable at all and greatly contributes to the 'lack or ergonomics' complaint that it massively suffered. With the Large grip it feels very comfortable with little additional size footprint.

I love the idea of replaceable and different grips and would love to see the special wooden grips that came with the 100th Limited KP's be sold separately, I would buy one in a heartbeat!

The KP also looks really cool, and if I can I would like to hold onto mine just for the aesthetics alone!
02-11-2020, 02:41 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
My KP came only with the Small grip
Odd....my KP came with all three grips and the wrench to attach them...I use the large grip because I like to use my KP with a 18-250mm SIGMA f/2.8 zoom that takes great pictures and is well balanced with the KP. Granted, I bought my copy on Black Friday 2018 and it came with all three (3) grips. Honestly, I only use the large grip because I like that full 'bump' over my fat, stubby hands....
02-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
18-250mm SIGMA f/2.8 zoom
This sounds like a big chunky lense and pretty expensive too.

02-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
This sounds like a big chunky lense and pretty expensive too.
The SIGMA APS-c 18-250mm is relatively small in comparison to other full frame large SIGMA lenses. Don't be mistaken, the SIGMA is bigger than the 40mm f2.8 pancake lens, but it's roughly on par with the Pentax 18-135mm Telephoto and has more range. For travel the KP and this lens is a reasonable compromise from me having to travel and bang around my more expensive and rare Leica kits.
All I was trying to say is that the range of this lens, from wide to full telephoto is excellent (i.e. APS-c equivalent range of 27-375mm) for its size and weight. It also has a barrel lock button that keeps the lens extensions from coming out in bumpy or extreme conditions.
I bought a mint copy of this lens for about $400, and is my favorite SIGMA APS-c lens.
02-11-2020, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #84
Veteran Member

The SIGMA APS-c 18-250mm is relatively small in comparison to other full frame large SIGMA lenses. Don't be mistaken, the SIGMA is bigger than the 40mm f2.8 pancake lens, but it's roughly on par with the Pentax 18-135mm Telephoto and has more range. For travel the KP and this lens is a reasonable compromise from me having to travel and bang around my more expensive and rare Leica kits.
All I was trying to say is that the range of this lens, from wide to full telephoto is excellent (i.e. APS-c equivalent range of 27-375mm) for its size and weight. It also has a barrel lock button that keeps the lens extensions from coming out in bumpy or extreme conditions.
I bought a mint copy of this lens for about $400, and is my favorite SIGMA APS-c lens.
I was intenting to make a small joke on the f2.8 typo. Still thanks for all the information.
02-11-2020, 05:26 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Odd....my KP came with all three grips and the wrench to attach them...I use the large grip because I like to use my KP with a 18-250mm SIGMA f/2.8 zoom that takes great pictures and is well balanced with the KP. Granted, I bought my copy on Black Friday 2018 and it came with all three (3) grips. Honestly, I only use the large grip because I like that full 'bump' over my fat, stubby hands....
Nah not odd, only certain KP's were sold with all 3 grips, I think the initial run or even just certain countries. I'm sure many were sold in Australia and elsewhere with just the one small grip (to worst 'grip'!).
02-11-2020, 08:43 PM - 2 Likes   #86
Veteran Member

I'm 75% through making my KP wooden grip..... things stalled a bit when I bought a medium grip.... but I shall return to it. The rear part is the tricky bit. I'm hollowing it out.... put some epoxy there and mate it to the camera whilst the epoxy goes off.... with a release barrier off course.... well.... thats the plan.... did I say I like the medum grip? Not keen on the large...

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-11-2020 at 08:53 PM.
02-11-2020, 09:06 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I'm 75% through making my KP wooden grip..... things stalled a bit when I bought a medium grip.... but I shall return to it. The rear part is the tricky bit. I'm hollowing it out.... put some epoxy there and mate it to the camera whilst the epoxy goes off.... with a release barrier off course.... well.... thats the plan.... did I say I like the medum grip? Not keen on the large...

Medium grip is the best one for me too, as I suspect it is for the vast majority of KP users. Which is why I suspect that the Aussie version only came with the small grip so that people would be compelled to stump up for a medium at $50 or $60 a shot.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 02-12-2020 at 12:13 PM ----------

Last edited by carlb; 02-11-2020 at 09:13 PM.
02-12-2020, 02:22 AM   #88
Pentaxian

I agree. The medium grip is the best one - small, almost as small as the small one, but so much useful.

In countries where KP is sold with just one grip - the medium one should be the one!
02-12-2020, 03:25 AM   #89
Pentaxian

The medium grip looks the neatest on the camera but the large grip gives a greater feeling of security when holding and carrying the camera, so that's the one for me. (Even that one is not as comfortable as the larger built-in grips of e.g. K-70 and K-5.)

Philip
02-13-2020, 03:47 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone know anyone who uses the small grip? If so, can you ask them .....why?