Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2020, 10:31 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All we need is a KP

Hi fellow KP shooters,
I have read some of the requests for a new DSLR from Pentax and say why do we need a new camera body.
We have a great camera body The KP it does everything for me and then some. I have been shooting with it for a year it has replaced my K5iis. I classify myself as a good amateur image maker.
The KP can be had for great price. If you equip yourself with a few good lenses an amateur can make great images.
I would be happy if Pentax only up dated the firm wear now and again to bring out more of the potential of the camera. Keep it simple just look at what the new camera companies have done with their camera Iphone, Samsung, Huawei to name some of the competition we are seeing with the camera phones. The images produced on some of these cameras are sensational without any post production. Take a pic and your friends and family see the pic in seconds from any where on their I phone screens. (Mind boggling when you think about it)
How many pictures do we actually enlarge to over an 8 1/2 x 11? Most of the images we share are via social media any way.
Way to go Pentax thank you for a great camera and lenses. Wish you would be more proactive in your marketing, You have a great product but nobody knows about it, most of the camera stores that are left don't carry it but push the customer to other brands. The Pentax reps seem to have been phased out. The attached image was created at midnight f18 17mm (Sigma 17-50 lens) 30s 800 ISO used by the local TV station for there weather pic of the day. I have down sized it from the hi-res image.
Lots of fun what else do you need.
GZ

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
02-05-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter

True. But marketing
02-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi GordZ,what improvements would you have made to the firmware of the KP?
02-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

As long as you cannot add a second card slot, fasten the writing speeds up, fasten the shutter speed, increase the buffer size (7 raws in high speed, a single second) add a top lcd or oled display and turn the front wheel into horizontal position via firmware it wont be able to fill the spot the k_new is aming at.
I tested the kp against the k3 II and for me the k3 II is clearly the better camera. A bit more clunky, sure.
The kp is a great camera and is perfectly fitted inside the Pentax philosophy, just not a flagship type of camera.

02-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
As long as you cannot add a second card slot, fasten the writing speeds up, fasten the shutter speed, increase the buffer size (7 raws in high speed, a single second) add a top lcd or oled display and turn the front wheel into horizontal position via firmware it wont be able to fill the spot the k_new is aming at.
I tested the kp against the k3 II and for me the k3 II is clearly the better camera. A bit more clunky, sure.
The kp is a great camera and is perfectly fitted inside the Pentax philosophy, just not a flagship type of camera.
Neither the K3 II is a flagship. KP is a beauty. Don’t need more. Value for money is top notch.
02-05-2020, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I've written out the same list of negatives myself, but it still remains, if the K-new doesn't have some interesting specs, I'll probably buy a K-P. Almost pulled the trigger a number of times. If my wife said she'd be interested I'd have one already, but she likes her K-5.

The only thing I really care about is the FPS, write speed, and and buffer size. WIth my 6 years with the K-3 I've never used the second card slot, it's just something else to format, the battery I can live with, just take extra batteries, which I always do in any case. The top display is probably one of the least used features on my camera, I just prefer the back display. And the K-P has the indispensable rear tilt-screen. Something I'd use a lot more than the other noted features.

7 Fps is weak but adequate, but, 12 or 14 would be better since AF.c tracking cuts the FPS in half.

It's quite possible that the K-new will have all the features but the ones I want and the K-P will be the better compromise. Only time will tell.

Right now I'd say the odds of me ending up with a K-new instead of a K-P are about 50/50.

Especially since in a recent interview, Pentax admitted the K-P was supposed to be the K-new, but, market research showed that the K-P was being adopted largely by customers new to Pentax, meaning that lot of us more demanding users were waiting for a model more like what we're used to. An untapped market just waiting for a camera. I can just see them sitting in Pentax HQ rubbing their hands together.

So it's going to be real interesting around here when the specs finally come out.

Last edited by normhead; 02-05-2020 at 11:33 AM.
02-05-2020, 11:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The KP is a superb camera ... it'd be even better in a full-size K-5-style body, with a bigger battery and a bit more room to put the right-hand thumb ... much like the pre-release pictures of the up-coming camera suggest it might be!

02-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riddler Quote
Neither the K3 II is a flagship. KP is a beauty. Don’t need more. Value for money is top notch.
It is not a capable flagship anymore. But I do not see what it is missing to a aps-c flagship when you put the camera in the time it was released. The only things it is missing are Pentax specific, like af speed. Otherwhise it has a lot of similarities with a Nikon D500 in its concept.
What is it that does the k3 not make a flagship?

---------- Post added 02-05-20 at 11:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've written out the same list of negatives myself, but it still remains, if the K-new doesn't have some interesting specs, I'll probably buy a K-P. Almost pulled the trigger a number of times. If my wife said she'd be interested I'd have one already, but she likes her K-5.

The only thing I really care about is the FPS, write speed, and and buffer size. WIth my 6 years with the K-3 I've never used the second card slot, it's just something else to format, the battery I can live with, just take extra batteries, which I always do in any case. The top display is probably one of the least used features on my camera, I just prefer the back display. And the K-P has the indispensable rear tilt-screen. Something I'd use a lot more than the other noted features.

7 Fps is weak but adequate, but, 12 or 14 would be better since AF.c tracking cuts the FPS in half.

It's quite possible that the K-new will have all the features but the ones I want and the K-P will be the better compromise. Only time will tell.

Right now I'd say the odds of me ending up with a K-new instead of a K-P are about 50/50.

Especially since in a recent interview, Pentax admitted the K-P was supposed to be the K-new, but, market research showed that the K-P was being adopted largely by customers new to Pentax, meaning that lot of us more demanding users were waiting for a model more like what we're used to. An untapped market just waiting for a camera. I can just see them sitting in Pentax HQ rubbing their hands together.

So it's going to be real interesting around here when the specs finally come out.
I think Pentax will make it closer to the k5/k3 concept than to the kp, looking at the prototype and the long interview with the French (was it?) Pentax product manager.
I use the second card slot for redundancy, I lost way too many sd cards to trust them anymore.
02-05-2020, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I think Pentax will make it closer to the k5/k3 concept than to the kp, looking at the prototype and the long interview with the French (was it?) Pentax product manager.
I use the second card slot for redundancy, I lost way too many sd cards to trust them anymore.
I bought my *ist D in 2004, and have never lost an image to a card failure.

IMHO you won't be terribly creative as a photographer until you learn when to shoot low angle shots using the tilting back screen like a waste level viewfinder. For me that's absolutely critical. I'm still not convinced the K-new won't have it... but for me, if it doesn't, that's a deal breaker.
02-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For my purposes, an APS-C body is now a travel camera, and with that objective, my existing K-3 provides as much as the KP, although the KP can fulfill other roles, obviously, but my K-1 takes that space.

Assuming the new APS-C Pentax will have in-built GPS, it will provide what I need for that purpose –*anything more is icing on the cake. Elsewhere, people have suggested I buy an OGPS and add it to the K-3, but I’d prefer to keep the travel package as simple as possible.

Taking time and notes was the old way to keep track of what you were shooting, but I find GPS helps a great deal when you’re unsure of what it is you’re looking at, and you don’t have the time or the language skills to ask a local. Of course, making a picture is one thing – you don’t have to know anything about what you’re shooting to compose and capture – but I like to follow-up and add context.
02-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the KP, but a company has to keep pushing the specs to stay relevant, otherwise they would fade away. No camera will ever have everything that everybody wants. Which is why companies dangle new features out there, many people have to get the newest thing, which is not a bad thing, early adopters drive the industry to create new technology. And the photography industry is unusual in that you have people wanting the newest thing that isn't out yet, and others that are content using 50 year old cameras and lenses, and the many that use old and new. The KP is a great camera and I'm very content with it now, but many people want something new and hopefully they will get it soon.
02-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well, I do a lot of kneeling shots, thats right and for some a tilting backscreen might be very usefull.
I just do not like the process of shooting this way, but this is a very personal thing.

---------- Post added 02-05-20 at 12:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I bought my *ist D in 2004, and have never lost an image to a card failure.

IMHO you won't be terribly creative as a photographer until you learn when to shoot low angle shots using the tilting back screen like a waste level viewfinder. For me that's absolutely critical. I'm still not convinced the K-new won't have it... but for me, if it doesn't, that's a deal breaker.
Added cite
02-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I do a lot of kneeling shots, thats right and for some a tilting backscreen might be very usefull.
I just do not like the process of shooting this way, but this is a very personal thing.

---------- Post added 02-05-20 at 12:08 PM ----------

Added cite
Kneeling isn’t a problem for most, but for some, the problem is getting up again! Unless the shot demands ground-level work, I’d generally prefer to remain upright. With my K-3, adding the FLUcard and resting my phone on the hot-shoe was a revelation – it was like working with a waist-level viewfinder in an old SLR (or TLR). I could do without the tilting rear screen (a hot-shoe accessory to secure the phone would be handy) if I had to, but I’d still prefer one.
02-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GordZ Quote
All we need is a KP
Glad it works for you. It truly is a very capable tool and an excellent match for many users on this site. It won't work as a replacement for my K-3*, so I am sadly, not a member of that set of "we".

BTW...I like the photo. I remember fondly taking similar pictures over the years using many different cameras...each "all" I needed to do the job. Strangely, that is still the case and one reason why I still indulge in film photography despite frame rates as low as 0.1 fps.

Steve

* Not worth enumerating, but true enough that if mine dies, it will be replaced with the same unless the KNEW comes the the plate properly equipped.
02-05-2020, 12:19 PM   #15
Site Supporter

It is not a capable flagship anymore. But I do not see what it is missing to a aps-c flagship when you put the camera in the time it was released. The only things it is missing are Pentax specific, like af speed. Otherwhise it has a lot of similarities with a Nikon D500 in its concept.
What is it that does the k3 not make a flagship?

---------- Post added 02-05-20 at 11:49 AM ----------

I found the K3 not best at higher ISO. Mijn K5 II s was a better camera imho
The Kp has a top notch sensor. Very good at high ISO. I don’t need a superfast camera for macro and landscape. But it is my two cents