Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2020, 12:23 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
IMHO you won't be terribly creative as a photographer until you learn when to shoot low angle shots using the tilting back screen like a waste level viewfinder. For me that's absolutely critical. I'm still not convinced the K-new won't have it... but for me, if it doesn't, that's a deal breaker.

Steve

02-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since I have several recent "K" bodies, the only thing I would change in the KP per se is the 100,000 shutter rating. It is built so well and has so many recent K-1 features on it that simply by extending its useful life to 200K would be a benefit. I don't miss GPS as the fill-in flash does good work where needed and the high ISO/IQ of the KP keeps up. Perhaps slightly faster focusing, but if you are to be considered a serious prosumer shooter, any of the recent Pentax bodies can capture sports/fast moving subjects.

The KP's durability (as rated by Pentax) is the sole reason I keep the K-3ii around....I want to see what Pentax finally delivers in their new APS-c offering later this year before I re-shuffle my Pentax arsenal. Nonetheless, even if rated for only 100K, its size and quality of photos is outstanding.
02-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I all too often suffer from "wet belly syndrome" resulting from low-level shooting. I keep thinking that a refconverter would be a welcome addition to the kit.

Steve
I spent a lot of time and money to locate a Refconverter A (to fit later film and all the DSLR Pentaxes). It’s a beautifully-built accessory and its optics and handling characteristics can’t be criticised IMO, but I haven’t used it since the K-3 and the FLUcard appeared. The K-1 completed its consignment to the cabinet of interesting artefacts.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 02-05-2020 at 04:03 PM.
02-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Wifi shooting is something camera manufacturers took way to long to discover. When arranging a still, it is just amazing too.

02-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Take up of the KP amongst pentaxians appears to be quite high (I have one ) it has so many qualities, high IQ, build quality, faster AF, better 5 axis ibis, flippy screen, WiFi, ergonomics, dials etc. I do sometimes miss the grip and the battery of the K3 but that passes as soon as I put a limited on it there will be nothing on the K-new that will make me wish I had that rather than the KP
02-05-2020, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I very much like my KP, but would prefer ergonomics closer to the K-1(i.e. a bigger grip). If that also makes room for a bigger battery, and dual card slots, all the better.
More FPS and a bigger buffer would also be nice.
02-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #22
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GordZ Quote
All we need is a KP
If you want a small DSLR with brilliant image quality, sure, all you need is a KP. But there is no "one size fits all" camera out there.

Umm, and far more people would probably subscribe to: All we need is a phone

02-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
If you want a small DSLR with brilliant image quality, sure, all you need is a KP. But there is no "one size fits all" camera out there.

Umm, and far more people would probably subscribe to: All we need is a phone
Is it still OK to use the "P" word on the forum?

Is it OK to hate PC people? As in Phone Camera?
02-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I all too often suffer from "wet belly syndrome" resulting from low-level shooting. I keep thinking that a refconverter would be a welcome addition to the kit.
Steve
Having invested in a Ref A viewfinder when I bought my *ist film camera I'm so used to using it that I continue to do so, even with the fold-out LCD panels on my recent bodies.

The problems with reflections in the LCD are well documented, but an age related issue can be, that as one gets older one's near-focus lengthens ... it becomes difficult to hold the camera close enough to evaluate focus when working in manual, though the focus-peaking feature does help, provided you can see past the reflections

As a compositional aid, especially with an auto-focus lens, the fold-out LCD is very helpful
02-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
The KP's durability (as rated by Pentax) is the sole reason I keep the K-3ii around....I want to see what Pentax finally delivers in their new APS-c offering later this year before I re-shuffle my Pentax arsenal. Nonetheless, even if rated for only 100K, its size and quality of photos is outstanding.
Perhaps, with suitable subjects, make more use of the KP's electronic shutter.

Philip
02-05-2020, 05:31 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm totally besotted with the KP and I think it's the only camera I'll need for a very, very long time. I think the only changes I would make would be to make all of the spots on the function customisable and to be able to choose from more options for the FX buttons (would that be possible with a firmware update?)

I'd like to buy a K new just to support Pentax but I just have no need for another camera.
02-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Implement FujiCaNikonY like AFC and eye AF.
02-05-2020, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
As a compositional aid, especially with an auto-focus lens, the fold-out LCD is very helpful
Live view with focus assist on the tilted back LCD is the way to go for macros. It works great even with manual focus lenses. Correction, it works even better with manual focus lenses. You can exactly determine your depth of field while adjusting the focus.
02-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Implement FujiCaNikonY like AFC and eye AF.
Yep! All we need is KP...

Steve
02-06-2020, 12:54 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I think the only changes I would make would be to make all of the spots on the function customisable and to be able to choose from more options for the FX buttons (would that be possible with a firmware update?)
Excellent ideas
Possibly even optionally move the "User" modes to the right-hand wheel, so one might change from AFS/Single-Spot to AFC/Multi-spot with one click instead of two and keep the camera to the eye whilst doing so