Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2020, 01:20 AM   #31
Pentaxian

I am also a big KP fan!

The only thing I miss is a faster start-up action.

And the rear display could be bigger!
... but these are hardware things!

... however some firmware update could bring even more advanced customizability - my Fx buttongs would welcome more options!

02-06-2020, 01:32 AM   #32
Veteran Member

How long does it take the kp to start?
This has never been an issue on dslrs to me, so I am quite curious if I just got lucky with my camera choices in that matter.
I know it is more of a thing on mirrorless system cameras.
02-06-2020, 01:36 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
The only thing I miss is a faster start-up action.
I've taken to not using the "Power Save" mode and keeping the camera switched on full-time.

My limited experience suggests that there's not much "power-saving" actually achieved, the "inconvenience" of carrying a spare battery in my pocket is minimal and having the camera immediately available for that "split-second" shot (like my K-70 manages to do, even with power-saving!) is immensely gratifying

I will emphasise at this point, I'm not using Live-View and the "Info" screen is off, so it's only the metering that's active.
02-06-2020, 01:59 AM   #34
Pentaxian

I know, I know thanks for your comment ... I meant the start-up action when you pull out the camera out of the bag

02-06-2020, 02:36 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
This has never been an issue on dslrs to me, so I am quite curious if I just got lucky with my camera choices in that matter.
It's not "very long", but a noticeable fraction of a second. With my K-70 and the K-5 before it, I would carry the camera on "stand-by" in power-save mode and when/if a subject presented itself (wildlife mostly) I could raise the camera to my eye and as soon as I touched the shutter button the a/f and metering would be active and the camera available to grab a shot ... assuming the a/f locked on

With the KP there's a noticeable delay before everything "wakes up", so the subject may well be in a less-opportune position before the shutter will fire (ie. it's running/flying away!) ... however, once the a/f finds the subject it tends to "lock on" more readily and, if in AFC, track more reliably, than the K70 (or K-5).

This is all just my experience, mostly based on 15 months (20k shots) with the K70 and about 10 weeks (3k shots) with the KP, both using, mostly, my 150-500mm Sigma.
02-06-2020, 02:46 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Noticeable My previous camera was K-5II - by IR the startup time (by the first picture) is 0,6s, for KP it is 1,4s.
02-06-2020, 03:23 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dual card slots? hehe

02-06-2020, 05:11 AM   #38
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Riddler Quote
True. But marketing
...and continued employment for Pentax workers.

All the stuff everyone wants on the KP is available on the K-1; I think of the KP as a subset of K-1 functionality (but with better ergonomics and convenience). I've got both and use 'em for different things. But I agree with GordZ, the KP's a great camera, and as he says, a talented amateur can make some terrific images using it. For that matter, a skilled professional ought to be able to do even better with it and for lots of photographic applications, it might be the best for the job: real estate, architecture, street scenes, etc. You want all that extra stuff, the tilt-a-whirl LCD screen, astrotracer, second card slot, etc., go buy a K-1.
02-06-2020, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I think the KP is a great camera / tool, if I were still shooting weddings, I’d still have my K3 and K5. I think it complements my K-1 perfectly. But, as has been stated, there is no one-size-fits-all camera. Frankly, if they dropped the onboard flash and implemented the GPS unit instead... But I don’t design cameras, my job is to get the most out of the tool available to me.
02-06-2020, 05:20 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a K1 and KP..... both beat my start up time by about 29 minutes and 59ish seconds in the morning. So maybe if I get a Knew things will be better.... but to be honest the Fuji x100v is tempting me.
02-06-2020, 06:36 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I am greatful cameras got a grip these days, the Fuji ist simply to hard to hold for me to replace a dslr.
02-06-2020, 06:53 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
KP is all I need

Hi Pentaxicans,
I just read a Photography Life article regarding the DSLR industry you may be interested in it.
It is a comparison of the smartphone photographer and DSLR photographer. Here is the link: photographylife.com look for "How Camera companies can survive the Smartphone".
Still find the KP a fantastic choice for a enthusiastic image maker.
Good to see the enthusiasm being generated by the Pentaxicans out there.
Attached are 2 images 1 standard 1/6s f7.1 50mm (Sigma) 200 iso the second shot same image but edited in the KP as a watercolour.
GordZ
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
02-06-2020, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
All the stuff everyone wants on the KP is available on the K-1
Except small compact size. With the accelerator chip the K-P is even about the same for noise at high ISOs as the K-1. SO why would anyone carry all that extra weight, and carry 3 heavier lenses for the K-1 lenses for the same range of focal length as 2 lighter lenses on the K-1.

K-1 - 24-70, 70-210, 150-450
TO match the equivalent focal length.KP - 16-85 and DA 55-300

If you want, add up the weights and volumes to see why you'd use a K-P.

My K-1 is a fine landscape camera, but it doesn't replace my K-3, and it wouldn't replace my K-P if I had one. The K-P should I find the K-new is in some way inadequate will replace my K-3. On the other hand, with it's improved noise characteristic, a K-P could very easily replace my K-1, especially on long canoe trips and hiking trips where every ounce is measured. Especially since for my own use, printing up to 42" wide and 99% displayed on a 55" Samsung 4k QLED I've never been able to justify the file size of my K-1. The K-1 is still with me because of it's dynamic range for sunsets, and even then, it's rare it makes a difference.

IN the real world, side by side images taken with my K-1 and my wife's K-5 are indistinguishable by any standard I've come up with.

Last edited by normhead; 02-06-2020 at 07:36 AM.
02-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Wifi shooting is something camera manufacturers took way to long to discover. When arranging a still, it is just amazing too.
I went through a period of using my iPad and flu-card on my K-3. In the end, the flip up back screen on the K-1 is just way more convenient. As much as I was thrilled with the idea of using the flu-card, and without ever making a formal decision on the issue, I just sort of left the wifi solution behind. These days the card isn't even in the camera.
02-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #45
Site Supporter

Don’t know why someone is impressed about the K3. I found it so terrible at higher iso
The KP beats the K3 more than a mile