Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2020, 04:10 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use the small grip on one of my two KPs. It works really well with the small DA Limiteds, making the KP almost as small as a film camera. My other KP has the large grip, for the DA* 300 or the 55-300 PLM. If I'm headed out in the woods to shoot photos, my favorite setup these days is the 15 Ltd on one body and the 55-300 on the other.

02-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Does anyone know anyone who uses the small grip? If so, can you ask them .....why?
I had the small grip for over a year because that's all there we Aussies got with our KP's. Not every KP sold direct from Pentax comes with all 3 grips, that was a limited run thing.

I do have to admit the KP looks the best with the small as it fits in with the retro design best, but it's not really ideal when using any lens of a decent size. A large grip puts it back into the 'real' dslr league imo and I find it perfectly comfortable.
02-14-2020, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The medium grip is the Goldilocks one for me!
02-14-2020, 04:45 AM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I had the small grip for over a year because that's all there we Aussies got with our KP's. Not every KP sold direct from Pentax comes with all 3 grips, that was a limited run thing.

I do have to admit the KP looks the best with the small as it fits in with the retro design best, but it's not really ideal when using any lens of a decent size. A large grip puts it back into the 'real' dslr league imo and I find it perfectly comfortable.
The small grip is aesthetically pleasing and is OK to use. I have now swapped for the large but I know I will lend up back on the medium. I quite liked the small but I wasn't as confident as I am with the medium. I am only swapping as a test. I hadn't used the small and I haven't used the large for a bit but so far I am not that happy with it

02-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
The small grip is aesthetically pleasing and is OK to use. I have now swapped for the large but I know I will lend up back on the medium. I quite liked the small but I wasn't as confident as I am with the medium. I am only swapping as a test. I hadn't used the small and I haven't used the large for a bit but so far I am not that happy with it
Having only ever had the Small and Large, what is it about the Large you don't like over the Medium? I guess lens choice dictates a lot of what feels right? For me it was night and day difference, I love the large and feel so much more confident with the camera for shooting. I talked a bit before buying the Large and plenty said to go for it and not bother with the Medium because it was too similar to the Small in terms of valid complaints (secure gripping etc). That's why I'd actually love one of those authentic wooden KP-J grips as they look even bigger and more comfortable than the Large grip! I guess it's horses for courses...
02-14-2020, 11:23 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Having only ever had the Small and Large, what is it about the Large you don't like over the Medium? I guess lens choice dictates a lot of what feels right? For me it was night and day difference, I love the large and feel so much more confident with the camera for shooting. I talked a bit before buying the Large and plenty said to go for it and not bother with the Medium because it was too similar to the Small in terms of valid complaints (secure gripping etc). That's why I'd actually love one of those authentic wooden KP-J grips as they look even bigger and more comfortable than the Large grip! I guess it's horses for courses...
You should try the medium one Practically as small as the small one, but the handling with the medium one is so much better. I do not need the large one even for larger lenses like DA* 16-50, DA* 60-250 ...
02-15-2020, 12:45 AM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post it to me pls. k cheers.

02-15-2020, 02:56 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The medium is similar to the small. For me, I find the shape of the large seems to make me point the camera down, which makes the buttons less automatic, in a weird way lol. My favourite is the medium, I liked the small but didn't trust it but I suspect if I am using a lens bigger than my 18-135, I will stick it on my K3 with its man grip lol

---------- Post added 02-15-20 at 02:58 AM ----------

I think the small would work if the KP was half the weight
02-15-2020, 05:23 AM   #99
Veteran Member

I initially didn't like the small so bought the large.... as no medium was available locally. I didn't take to the large.... the bottom part of it ended two abruptly.... as its made to work or flow on to the battery grip... so I ordered the medium from Japan. Meanwhile I put the small one back on and sorta got use to it.... generally holding the camera and lens in a non-K1/K3 way.... sounds silly but is the best way to describe it. I now use the medium grip as my preferance.... it's like the small grip with just that bit more .... but not to much..... with the KP I think my left hand does more.

When designing a wood grip.... I was going to extend it down past the bottom of the camera... so ones little finger had something to wrap around... but after trying it I decided that it would be a mistake... sorta wrong approach for this camera..... but how the little finger and that part of the hand sits does impact where your thumb and top fingers grip and how you can work the wheels... in a way how the camera balances within your grip. There is more to it then size.

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-15-2020 at 05:33 AM.
02-15-2020, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I initially didn't like the small so bought the large.... as no medium was available locally. I didn't take to the large.... the bottom part of it ended two abruptly.... as its made to work or flow on to the battery grip... so I ordered the medium from Japan. Meanwhile I put the small one back on and sorta got use to it.... generally holding the camera and lens in a non-K1/K3 way.... sounds silly but is the best way to describe it. I now use the medium grip as my preferance.... it's like the small grip with just that bit more .... but not to much..... with the KP I think my left hand does more.

When designing a wood grip.... I was going to extend it down past the bottom of the camera... so ones little finger had something to wrap around... but after trying it I decided that it would be a mistake... sorta wrong approach for this camera..... but how the little finger and that part of the hand sits does impact where your thumb and top fingers grip and how you can work the wheels... in a way how the camera balances within your grip. There is more to it then size.
I've learned I like to shoot with my pinky wrapped under the camera like this;

It's one of the reasons I never went for a battery grip.
02-16-2020, 05:05 AM   #101
Veteran Member

On small cameras I do the same, but I prefer a grip size (vertical dimension) where my pinky rests comfortably on the grip.
Ever tried a battery grip for a few minutes?
02-16-2020, 12:12 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
On small cameras I do the same, but I prefer a grip size (vertical dimension) where my pinky rests comfortably on the grip.
Ever tried a battery grip for a few minutes?
I haven't actually, seemed to be something that was down less as a priority purchase when I first started (and still true to this day). I do landscape and event work, L Plates and keeping light as possible for events (with a battery or two in the pocket) just seemed way more sensible than a battery grip. Factoring also my pinky wrapping preference (that's a K-1 in the image above by the way) and I just didn't think a grip would work out well for me. But.. would absolutely love to try one, sometimes trying is believing ahaha
02-18-2020, 06:54 PM   #103

Some people use the "pinky under the camera" point as an automatic negative, which I don't understand. To me, having a free pinky makes no difference in comfort or grip strength, so if a camera is even small enough to give me a free pinky, I'd say it would be a success as long as the camera was intended to be compact in the first place.

By the way, how do you like that flash bracket? Have you use it on the KP? I was thinking of getting a bracket, but I want something more compact and less flimsy than the tilting/rotating brackets. Your bracket looks good from what I can see in its B&H page, however I'm unsure if having the flash that low and off to the side was good for landscape orientation images.
02-19-2020, 03:55 PM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StarTroop Quote
Some people use the "pinky under the camera" point as an automatic negative, which I don't understand. To me, having a free pinky makes no difference in comfort or grip strength, so if a camera is even small enough to give me a free pinky, I'd say it would be a success as long as the camera was intended to be compact in the first place.

By the way, how do you like that flash bracket? Have you use it on the KP? I was thinking of getting a bracket, but I want something more compact and less flimsy than the tilting/rotating brackets. Your bracket looks good from what I can see in its B&H page, however I'm unsure if having the flash that low and off to the side was good for landscape orientation images.
I tend not to use that flash bracket much anymore. I found out that either direct flash mounted in hotshoe and ceiling bouncing was best, and for all other occasions I use ocf on a stand etc.
02-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I tend not to use that flash bracket much anymore. I found out that either direct flash mounted in hotshoe and ceiling bouncing was best, and for all other occasions I use ocf on a stand etc.
With the IQ of cameras like the modern K-1 and KP series, I rarely if ever use a flash..Several colleagues on this thread have pushed the K-1 and KP to 25K ISO and while the results are somewhat usable, the point is that at up to 12,500 with a small to moderate crop, noise is controlled and therefore, artificial use of light to generate quality photos is diminished. What I like about the KP is, i would sacrifice GPS for the fill-in flash because up to 12-15 feet, it will enhance the sensor's ability to capture images at lower ISO and that is enough flash for me.
I am not a professional by any means, but I enjoy my method of Photography and get my great reward from those of you who like the images I post.
Bottom line here: The KP can be pushed hard or used through conventional means of enhancement, but it never disappoints....