Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2020, 09:53 PM   #1

Question regarding electronic shutter on KP

Hi, would someone help me find out what happens in the following cases?

1. When you take a single photo using electronic shutter on KP, does the shutter count go up 1?

2. When you take a continuous burst of 10 photos using the electronic shutter on KP, does the shutter count go up 1? Or 10?

The reason why I ask is because the mechanical shutter should actuate only once in each case; someone was explaining somewhere that the shutter count you see in the Exif data is the number of shots taken using the mechanical shutter, so I wanted to know what happens when using the electronic shutter.

This question is only relevant to KP because as far as I know, KP is the only pentax camera that keeps the mirror up and shutter open while shooting in burst mode with the electronic shutter.

Thank you!

02-11-2020, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe it's 1 for every click. The shutter still moves each time, just not the mirror.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-11-2020, 04:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I believe it's 1 for every click. The shutter still moves each time, just not the mirror.
That would be my guess too, but could you confirm by actually shooting and checking the Exif data? I know this is a lot to ask, so please only help if you are also curious about this (or feeling exceptionally generous).

I'm not that curious about single shots because I know that the whole cycle is actuated once just like using the mechanical shutter. I am particularly curious about what happens during a burst shot using electronic shutter, in which -- I'm pretty sure -- the mirror and the shutter only move at the beginning and end of the entire burst -- not each shot.

[Edited] Wait, are you saying that the shutter moves before and after each shot during a burst as well? That might have to do with a setting of some sort. In the following video, you can see that the KP is taking multiple shots without actuating anything mechanical in between the shots (sounds only at the beginning and end of the burst).

Last edited by PentaMiCL; 02-11-2020 at 04:31 AM.
02-11-2020, 06:06 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaMiCL Quote
could you confirm by actually shooting and checking the Exif data?
I just checked. It's one per shot whether using MS or ES. Taking a burst with ES is a little weird, there's no noise so you have no idea how many shots have been fired until you look at the photos taken. For this test, I took 8 shots.

Last edited by rogerstg; 02-11-2020 at 06:20 AM.
02-11-2020, 01:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I just checked. It's one per shot whether using MS or ES. Taking a burst with ES is a little weird, there's no noise so you have no idea how many shots have been fired until you look at the photos taken. For this test, I took 8 shots.
Hi, thank you for checking. Just to reconfirm, when you took the 8 shots using burst mode, the shutter count increased 8?

I was just wondering about this because the shutter count is sometimes used to estimate the general wear of the internals, but I would assume people with a very high shutter count using KP may likely have been using ES (burst) for in-camera averaging and time-lapse, which don't actually wear down the mechanical shutter.

Thank you so much for your insight!
02-11-2020, 04:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaMiCL Quote
Hi, thank you for checking. Just to reconfirm, when you took the 8 shots using burst mode, the shutter count increased 8?
Yes it did
02-11-2020, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Yes it did
Thanks for the confirmation. With your answer, I was originally going to go with the copy that had 50,000 shutter count, which was 40 bucks or so cheaper, in hopes that the previous owner simply used the ES-burst (or time-lapse) a lot. However, I noticed that the body had significantly more wear as well so I just went with the prettier one with an added bonus of a low shutter count.

At any rate, I did purchase a used KP and am waiting for it to arrive. Looking forward to hit 1 million in shutter count, then.