Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2020, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 37
I just bought a KP... and maybe you should too!

I just wanted to share my joy of purchasing the KP -- most likely the camera that I want the most that is out there, regardless of the price.

I purchased a K-70 last year because of the many features that are unique to Pentax, such as the astrotracer and up to 2000-shot in-camera multiple exposures. It was only after my first photo trip that I realized there was no way of using just the electronic shutter for the latter, and I noticed that I'd be spending most of the shutter's expected life within an year at the rate I was shooting away multiple exposures.

Many features of Pentax cameras make them a unique option in the market, but the 2,000 shot in-camera multiple exposure (averaging in particular) is really a one of kind. Olympus and Sigma have similar capabilities using their Live-ND and extended ISO 6, but they are both 2000 dollar cameras and only achieve 5 stops and 4 stops, respectively. With a 2,000 shot multiple exposure, you get up to 11 stops of ND-effect. Plus, if smoothing water surfaces or removing people from the streets is the main purpose of the ND-effect, I have found that the multiple exposure method is even more effective than an equivalent ND filter, because the total amount of time that passes in order to get the shot done is longer. In other words, you can achieve a pretty 10-stop-ish effect with, for instance, 256 or 512 shots instead of 1024.

Sony's older cameras allow you to do in-camera averaging via an app of up to 256 shots. This app, however, does not function with electronic shutter.

I have spent a couple of months doing research, and I have concluded that currently KP is the only camera that allows you to do in-camera averaging of more than 32 shots (Olympus Live-ND) using the electronic shutter.

So.. although I do lose quite a bit of money by selling the K-70 so soon after purchase, I am pretty confident that this purchase will keep me happy for a while.

Anyway, regarding the latter half of my tittle. Map Camera (a long-established used camera store in Japan) is currently selling several copies of good to near mint quality KP at 560-580 USD (free shipping) on ebay USA. Plus, I just got an invitation coupon for 10% off, up to 50 USD, which was perfect because of the price of the product. Check your inbox because you may have received one too. The combination got me a great condition KP for about 510 USD before tax.

Map Camera would give you a 1 year warranty for used products (!) if you were in Japan. Plus, Japanese customers rarely return products, so they are that much more serious about QC and QA compared to the average market. I'd say this pricing (especially with the coupon) is a superb deal.

Note that after a few days the discount pricing by map camera disappears, but they have so far restarted the discount pricing after a break of a day or two.

I can't wait to receive the camera....

Attached Images
 
02-11-2020, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 14,677
Congratulations on your incoming KP!

Yours is quite a specialist requirement compared to my own basic needs, but I can absolutely see why the multi-shot capability you describe is compelling.

Multi-shot functionality aside, the KP has proven itself to be a very popular camera for a number of reasons - not least, general image quality and high ISO performance.

Looking forward to finding out what you think of it after a bit of use...
02-11-2020, 07:59 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,084
I thought I did a lot of research buying a camera, you’ve topped that easily! Congrats, you will love the KP.
02-12-2020, 01:21 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,263
Congrats on getting such a fine deal on such an outstanding camera! The purpose you indicate is a specialized interest, and it is great to learn the KP can fulfill this need. Enjoy this very unique and fine camera!

02-12-2020, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ffking's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Posts: 4,764
Maybe you should tell the Ricoh marketing people - I don't think they know!
02-12-2020, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Senior Member
Prohibitiory's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK
Posts: 184
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaMiCL Quote
I just wanted to share my joy of purchasing the KP -- most likely the camera that I want the most that is out there, regardless of the price.

I purchased a K-70 last year because of the many features that are unique to Pentax, such as the astrotracer and up to 2000-shot in-camera multiple exposures. It was only after my first photo trip that I realized there was no way of using just the electronic shutter for the latter, and I noticed that I'd be spending most of the shutter's expected life within an year at the rate I was shooting away multiple exposures.

Many features of Pentax cameras make them a unique option in the market, but the 2,000 shot in-camera multiple exposure (averaging in particular) is really a one of kind. Olympus and Sigma have similar capabilities using their Live-ND and extended ISO 6, but they are both 2000 dollar cameras and only achieve 5 stops and 4 stops, respectively. With a 2,000 shot multiple exposure, you get up to 11 stops of ND-effect. Plus, if smoothing water surfaces or removing people from the streets is the main purpose of the ND-effect, I have found that the multiple exposure method is even more effective than an equivalent ND filter, because the total amount of time that passes in order to get the shot done is longer. In other words, you can achieve a pretty 10-stop-ish effect with, for instance, 256 or 512 shots instead of 1024.

Sony's older cameras allow you to do in-camera averaging via an app of up to 256 shots. This app, however, does not function with electronic shutter.

I have spent a couple of months doing research, and I have concluded that currently KP is the only camera that allows you to do in-camera averaging of more than 32 shots (Olympus Live-ND) using the electronic shutter.

So.. although I do lose quite a bit of money by selling the K-70 so soon after purchase, I am pretty confident that this purchase will keep me happy for a while.

Anyway, regarding the latter half of my tittle. Map Camera (a long-established used camera store in Japan) is currently selling several copies of good to near mint quality KP at 560-580 USD (free shipping) on ebay USA. Plus, I just got an invitation coupon for 10% off, up to 50 USD, which was perfect because of the price of the product. Check your inbox because you may have received one too. The combination got me a great condition KP for about 510 USD before tax.

Map Camera would give you a 1 year warranty for used products (!) if you were in Japan. Plus, Japanese customers rarely return products, so they are that much more serious about QC and QA compared to the average market. I'd say this pricing (especially with the coupon) is a superb deal.

Note that after a few days the discount pricing by map camera disappears, but they have so far restarted the discount pricing after a break of a day or two.

I can't wait to receive the camera....
That's a great story! I will be looking forward to your journey as I recently purchased Pentax KP myself! Good Luck
02-12-2020, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian
microlight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 1,507
I have to say that when the chrome version of the KP body was available on U.K. Amazon for ~£560 a couple of weeks ago (now back up to high 700s again!) I was tempted. But still, v happy with the K-3II!
02-12-2020, 04:56 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
whammerhead's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Belfast
Posts: 125
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I have to say that when the chrome version of the KP body was available on U.K. Amazon for ~£560 a couple of weeks ago (now back up to high 700s again!) I was tempted. But still, v happy with the K-3II!
It went down as far as £489.65. That's when I pulled the trigger. Unfortunately Storm Ciara rolled in last weekend so haven't had chance to use it yet

02-12-2020, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 158
That's a neat feature I hadn't really considered until this point! I've been considering getting a couple of ND filters at some point, maybe a 3-stop for daylight flash portraits, and a 6-stop to layer with the 3-stop for long exposures if I wanted to experiment, but this way I can forget the 6 stop ND and just hold out for a high quality 3-stop in the future. I really ought to play around more with the fancy features, but normally I don't take advantage of all the ways modern DSLRs have improved over manual SLRs.
02-13-2020, 05:33 AM   #10
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 37
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StarTroop Quote
That's a neat feature I hadn't really considered until this point! I've been considering getting a couple of ND filters at some point, maybe a 3-stop for daylight flash portraits, and a 6-stop to layer with the 3-stop for long exposures if I wanted to experiment, but this way I can forget the 6 stop ND and just hold out for a high quality 3-stop in the future. I really ought to play around more with the fancy features, but normally I don't take advantage of all the ways modern DSLRs have improved over manual SLRs.
In some ways it's superior to using ND filters:

1. Easy to nail the exposure. Basically the exposure of the first shot would be the exposure of the resulting multi-exposure.

2. No need for long-exposure noise reduction, because each exposure is short, and the noise in each frame will be averaged out by the other frames.

3. If something happens (the sun came out from behind the clouds, someone is about to walk into the frame, etc.) you can end the multi-exposure early and still have a properly exposed picture. With an ND, it will be underexposed if you end it short.

4. You can watch the picture develop on the screen! With an ND, all you see is a black rectangle until the shot is over. If something went wrong (like the tripod moved) you won't notice it until then.
02-17-2020, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Genf
Posts: 1,082
Congratulations for your clever purchase !
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cameras, exposure, in-camera, kp, map, pentax kp, shot, shots, shutter, usd
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KP vs K-70 - to KP or not to KP, that is the question OldChE Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 11-02-2019 05:29 AM
Just bought a KP have I made the right decision? Rockbox Pentax KP 52 05-19-2018 01:33 PM
Maybe this may help with 'aperature block' (?) maybe fun? fstop18 Pentax K-30 & K-50 6 03-30-2017 10:29 AM
just got DA 50mm f1.8 maybe should get FA50mm 1.4 insted? dronek75 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 19 02-28-2014 05:12 AM
Maybe, almost a new Canon to Pentax Convert...maybe.. ;) brecklundin Welcomes and Introductions 34 07-09-2009 10:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:52 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top